Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Fogging EFI Motors, anyone mess up sensors? >

Fogging EFI Motors, anyone mess up sensors?

Notices

Fogging EFI Motors, anyone mess up sensors?

Old 11-07-2007, 01:13 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fogging EFI Motors, anyone mess up sensors?

Reading up on fogging my 496HO motor, I've read those who say just to spray fogging oil directly into the throttle body and some who say that's crazy because it'll mess up the sensors.

The mechanic that just winterized my boat just sprayed fogging oil into the throttle body to fog it saying that's how he's always done it for EFI motors and there have been no issues.

So who's right? Any real bad fogging experiences?
Old 11-07-2007, 06:36 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

We have never sprayed fog into a dry intake, just wet intakes like carbed motors. Thats the way Mercury taught us to do it so thats the way its been done for years. Dry intake meaning anything with fuel injectors in the intake runners, wet meaning anything with a throttle body or carb. Everybody does it different so I cant say if he'swrong or right. You'll get hundreds of different responces on whats right or wrong.Good luck.
Old 11-07-2007, 06:38 AM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

My mechanic said and did the same thing with my HO's. No issues over the years except I did have an IAC valve go bad. Who knows if it was related. It was the middle of summer when that happened.

But, I will be going with 2 cycle oil in the separator for my 525's.
Old 11-07-2007, 07:13 AM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I've heard of guys putting ATF in the fuel filter and running the engine to winterize. Not sure if this is ideal either.
Old 11-07-2007, 09:53 AM
Registered

Received 79 Likes on 23 Posts

I have always been told not to spray a dry EFI throttle body. You are leaving an oil film on the sensors and and throttle body. I have read that the correct method is pull the fuel seperator and drain off half and fill with two stroke oil and run the engine for a few minutes.
Old 11-07-2007, 11:30 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by Brad Zastrow
I have always been told not to spray a dry EFI throttle body. You are leaving an oil film on the sensors and and throttle body. I have read that the correct method is pull the fuel seperator and drain off half and fill with two stroke oil and run the engine for a few minutes.
thats the way i was told to do it so thats the way i do did.
Old 11-07-2007, 11:43 AM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Brad Zastrow
+1
Old 11-07-2007, 11:46 AM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts

Originally Posted by Pwrbt33
We have never sprayed fog into a dry intake, just wet intakes like carbed motors. Thats the way Mercury taught us to do it so thats the way its been done for years. Dry intake meaning anything with fuel injectors in the intake runners, wet meaning anything with a throttle body or carb. Everybody does it different so I cant say if he'swrong or right. You'll get hundreds of different responces on whats right or wrong.Good luck.
John has been a mechanic/friend of mine for years, and his word/advice has never let me down.

Pull the fuel/water separator. Why half-ass it?

*Also, replace your fuel/water separator in the spring.*
Old 11-07-2007, 12:53 PM
Registered

Received 19 Likes on 7 Posts
Default This is what Mercury says...

According to the MerCruiser Operation and Maintenance Manual for MX 6.2 MPI's (fuel injected) they recommend mixing 5 gallons of fuel, 2 quarts of TC-W3 outboard oil, and 5 ounces of Fuel System Treatment (802875A1) together. I cut the recipe in half and mix in a 3 gallon fuel tank. Connect this tank to the fuel inlet and run at 1300 rpm for 5 minutes. 2-1/2 gallons of fuel is PLENTY to fog two engines.

I too have heard it is a no-no to fog thru the throttle body due to possible sensor damage(?)...
Old 11-09-2007, 10:35 AM
Registered

My mechanic runs the efi motors on a mixture like 4mulafastech talks about, not sure it is the exact formula of things or not though. I have always heard no fogging efi thru throttlebody also?