Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   TRS positives and negatives (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/173120-trs-positives-negatives.html)

Donzi Corleone 11-12-2007 09:55 PM

TRS positives and negatives

Looking at a 454's with these (TRS). Want to know the good and bad about them.

seafordguy 11-13-2007 08:04 AM

Originally Posted by Speed2Lead (Post 2333767)
Looking at a 454's with these (TRS). Want to know the good and bad about them.

This is one of the most asked questions on this board. I would recommend a search.

Bottom line is that they are a solid drive. They are older and parts are supposedly becoming harder to find but you still see a LOT of spares and parts for sale. They have a transmission as opposed to a Bravo" boat so that probably adds 200 lbs (?) to the boat, changes engine placement, and X dimension. Also, I am not sure, but the drive themselves just "look" heavier than the Bravos. My guess would also be that you would lose a LITTLE parasitic power from the Crank to the Prop based on having a seperate tranny versus having the tranny in the drive like in a bravo. Maybe someone who is more knoledgeable can quantify this.

cigrocket 11-13-2007 08:32 AM

The drives are great mated to that power 454's I am assuming they are stock 454. The TRS's were designed to handle about 500HP. TRS's were not discountinued because they were bad, they were just expensive for mercury to build. You can get goo deals on TRS boats and if you ever want to upgrade, there is the Konrad option which I have done to my cigarette. Ran 675HP through the TRS for a couple of seasons. TRS are great for the power they were designed. Shifting is great with the transmissions. Do a search on OSO this has been covered many times. Good luck. Finding parts is not as hard as some make it out to be. Although the replacement parts are not made by mercury any more and are not as well manufactured.

O.C.Barry 11-13-2007 09:19 AM

Trs

We've run up to 540 CI in a 35 Mistress in the past with no problems.

Doller Offshore has John Klumpian, who is a master at these drives and others, they offer great service, so TRS are still viable. And the point above is correct, you can get a really good deal on TRS boats.

Barry

Audiofn 11-13-2007 09:22 AM

Love them. Parts are still easy to come by and will be for a long time to come. People are scared of them for lack of knowledge so you can get deals on TRS boats. People say that they are slower then a bravo but I have not seen that. The few people that I now that have changed over to Bravo and have not made power changes either went the same speed or slower with the bravo's. I would not hesitate to buy a boat with TRS drives on it, in fact I prefer them over the Bravo's.

Jon

cigrocket 11-13-2007 09:27 AM

I should also agree, TRS boat over a Bravo Boat. Especially if it is older and heavier.

lucky strike 11-13-2007 09:55 AM

Originally Posted by Audiofn (Post 2334012)
Love them. Parts are still easy to come by and will be for a long time to come. I would not hesitate to buy a boat with TRS drives on it, in fact I prefer them over the Bravo's.

Jon

How true....Its hard to kill a TRS drive.

Lofty 11-13-2007 11:29 AM

Pros: boats are cheaper, tough drive, parts are available, used parts are available and CHEAP, can be replaced by a Konrad, affords the civility of a trany (great around the docks).

Cons: people are affraid of them, makes a boat harder to re-sell, Bravo guys roll their eyes at you.

All in all a great set up. I'd take a TRS boat over a SSM III's any day. Look at the re-build cost and the price of big shaft props!

Scarab3DMC 11-13-2007 02:37 PM

Just Be Wary Of The Merc II Transmissions.. Stay With Borg Warner.

StraightJacket 11-13-2007 03:38 PM

I have to agree the TRS is better than the bravo, especially in a heavier boat . We run 750hp and 680 ft trq through ours and in 8 seasons only scattered 1 because the guy clearenced it wrong.
We are going to do the Konrad upgrade but I have no problem with the TRS's
You just have to be good on the Sticks in the bumpy stuff, if you have big power and some weight around you.

As far as Trans , just mate the specific trans to the engine application, such as using HUBERS.