Notices

Metal Building mfg

Old 11-13-2007, 06:48 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking Metal Building mfg

Looking to build a 10,000-20,000 sq foot building.Anyone got a good source?? I want to split the units into 2000-4000 sq feet rentals and keep one for myself.I can do all mechanicals,concrete ect.
Old 11-13-2007, 06:51 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There are many metal building companies available. You can do a google search and many have a rate chart on their web site.
Old 11-13-2007, 06:52 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

http://www.unitedsteelbuilding.com/l...FTaEOAodY0TL9A
Old 11-13-2007, 06:55 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

www.steelmasterusa.com
Old 11-13-2007, 07:25 PM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts

I looked at a lot of options before I committed to and built a post frame with steel skin building.

The Steelmaster aircraft hanger buildings are nice, but somewhat unattractive, and very hard to tie anything into them like framing/shelving/etc. They are also unfavorable for trying to insulate them. Major drawback was the amount of concrete footer work that is necessary, which increases the overall TCO. You have to fork out everything at one time.

I also looked into the steel girder/construction type, with steel skin, but again the concrete and footer work was expensive; and you have to also do everything up front. They are very easy to insulate, but tying shelving/framing in, also requires welding and steel cutting/drilling. http://www.steelbuilding.com/ http://www.unitedsteelbuilding.com/
They also sell kits on eBay. Type in "steel building" for a search tool.

I did not investigate www.miracletruss.com . I learned of them too late in my process.

I almost signed the paperwork with www.nationalbarn.com , but then I learned of www.pioneerpolebuildings.com . I am VERY happy with my Pioneer Pole Building. I did not pit them against each other, but I did show them each other's quotes to get apples to apples building options.

I have a lifetime warranty on the lumber, steel, and screws. The install crew was professional and good at their job, as well as friendly and very willing to work with me. I also invested in the http://www.postsaverusa.com/smartpost.html post protectors, direct through Pioneer.

I can tie in shelving, electrical, and framing in a matter of moments with the timber frame, and the building is SOLID; especially considering that I was on very soft ground. I have not put concrete in the building yet, as I want the soil and gravel to settle and compact before I pour. I have already compacted the inside twice, and will do so at least one or two more times before I am ready to pour.

Lots of pics and info here, and a bunch of other useless posts too, but that's typical of the AT forum:

http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/s...d.php?t=170427

More info on some other threads:
http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/s...d.php?t=108829
http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/s...d.php?t=157113

Last edited by Sydwayz; 11-13-2007 at 08:07 PM.
Old 11-13-2007, 08:38 PM
Registered

Sydwayz, thanks for the info.I did a search and came up with almost 10 pages of companies.It is always better to ask someone who has been there and done that.There are alot of steel buildings around here,Im thinking of Icynene spray foam as opposed to the plastic sheet with the fiberglass on the side.I have been usibg the foam in my houses and its the greatest but costly.

Any Idea on the cost per square foot for the building(steel only) I heard around $30-$50 per square.The land is going for roughly 250-300k per acre.The rest i can estimate to see if its do-able.
Old 11-13-2007, 09:03 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by plumbers crack
Looking to build a 10,000-20,000 sq foot building.Anyone got a good source?? I want to split the units into 2000-4000 sq feet rentals and keep one for myself.I can do all mechanicals,concrete ect.
Where are you looking to build? Aren't you in Bluffton, or am I thinking about another member?
Old 11-13-2007, 09:12 PM
'05 Concept SF23
VIP Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Contact Ron Burgin @ 888-550-7099. He is in Murfreesboro TN. He sells Oakland Metal Buildings. Thundesone on the board has one and is a very good building. His pricing is about the same or less than a pole barn and has the advatage of clear span (no rafters). For commercial rental I would think codes wouln not approve a pole barn for other than personal use.
Old 11-13-2007, 10:13 PM
Registered

I have a buddy that puts up steel buildings all over the US, I'll put him in touch with you if you would like. Just say the word.

He is a GC like myself, and can help you with sale only of the building, and you hire the erector, or he can turn key the building after you form and pour the slab.

Let me know.
Old 11-13-2007, 11:00 PM
Platinum Member
Charter Member

I've worked in metal buildings/hangars of all types/mfg's my entire career in private/corp jets. When it came time to build a shop on my own acreage, I did a thorough (and exhausting) research job on all of them, nationwide. It took me nearly a year before pulling the trigger. I wound up going with miracletruss for a myriad of reasons- I'll try to touch on a few, but feel free to PM me if you want more detail.
1) They are unbelievably strong- the few hangars still standing at Homestead Airport after Andrew were Miracles. They are free-span like an aircraft hangar, which allows for unobstucted ceiling heights, easy lighting and heating/cooling options. With steel truss/wood purlin and girt construction, they seem to have a wind loading strength unequaled to a lot of other mfg/types of buildings.

2) They can be erected in minimal time by people with minimal experience or equipment. I put mine up in 4 weekends, mostly by myself with the exception of a crew to help me with the initial standing of the trusses, which was accomplished with only scaffolding- no crane/lift/forklift was necessary.

3)Insulation and modifications AFTER construction are a breeze- want a window or door? Cut one in, place the header and install- it's that easy. I've done it on mine, and I'm a jet guy, not a constuction guy. The purlins and girts on these buildings are 2x4 and 2x6 on 2' centers (I used 2x6 throughout), allowing a minimum of R19. Roll the insulation out and staple it in and you're done, whenever you decide to get around to it.

I've loved mine other than the fact that it was too small before I was even done (aren't they all). I have shown the building to others (five different friends and acquaintances) that were interested in mine, and all of them chose to erect one after seeing it. They were all hot on the trail of either pole building or a steel building of one mfg or another. We are going to be needing a larger house in the near future, and a Miracle building is going to be one of the first mods to a new property. We're also putting one up at our vacation property in Canada, in fact it's going up prior to the building of the vacation home so we have a place to store materials etc.
There may be cheaper routes out there than a Miracle, but you get what you pay for. I'm an aiworthiness inspector by trade, and I know quality when I see it. These are definitely worth every penny. I don't have any connection to their company whatsoever, but I highly recommend them.
Jim

Quick Reply: Metal Building mfg

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.