Desert Storm Poker Run-2008-Rooms?

Notices

Desert Storm Poker Run-2008-Rooms?

Old 11-15-2007, 12:05 AM
Mod Squad Enforcer
Charter Member

Received 795 Likes on 258 Posts

Nort, it's not the money. We know that.

I just don't think traveling from S. Fla to Havasu only to be told to pay extra 'cause I didn't bring a boat is a little harsh.

I am the only member of the OSO entourage that had enough fun to come back. I like the idea of Vegas for a few, then Havasu, then back to Vegas. Long way to come to not combine trips.
Old 11-15-2007, 12:06 AM
Mod Squad Enforcer
Charter Member

Oh, and I just tried to reserve online and had to send an email.

A little more work than a Miami or Key West reservation.
Old 11-15-2007, 12:15 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Cash Bar
Nort, it's not the money. We know that.

I just don't think traveling from S. Fla to Havasu only to be told to pay extra 'cause I didn't bring a boat is a little harsh.

I am the only member of the OSO entourage that had enough fun to come back. I like the idea of Vegas for a few, then Havasu, then back to Vegas. Long way to come to not combine trips.

Yeah....that is weird, but I've only stayed there once anyway. Most of the Nautical is a **** hole anyway.....the location is good since the poker run is held there, but other places are good locations too! Our favorite is the London Bridge Resort.....which is a timeshare place too if you have that. It is where the major club is and there it is walking distance to a few nice resturaunts too. Vegas is always good!
Old 11-15-2007, 12:16 AM
Registered

Oh, and I just tried to reserve online and had to send an email.

A little more work than a Miami or Key West reservation.

Hey....they just got running water out there.....what do you want?
Old 11-15-2007, 12:36 AM
Registered

Wow, that blocks out a ton of OSO members. I must have met 1000 members last April. I am pretty sure most were not there with boats.

Glad I got to go when I did, even though I was on a boat.
How does that block out the OSO members, If you were in a boat participating and supporting the event, you paid $100.00 for you and your sig. other to join the activities. If you were there just to hang out and party, why stay at the event hotel?
I'm saying, please come and have fun, but acknowledge we who are in the run need the beach front hotel. There is only 130 rooms so we are spread around the town anyways, I'm just trying to help out the guys who are doing the run.

There are lots of hotels around the town, over 2000 rooms

Old 11-15-2007, 12:40 AM
Registered

The where to stay answer is easy...just simply buy a house in Havasu....

For details read below......
Old 11-15-2007, 02:27 PM
Registered

my recommendation is the queens bay condo's. We've stayed there for the past 4 years and leave the boat in the channel beached and covered and walk to the room. Never had a problem and there are many boats parked with you. You don't have the problems of traffic and getting back to your spot at the nautical and having an argument with someone in your spot.
Good luck!
Old 11-15-2007, 03:59 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A few options:
Option 1 (Ballers Option): Stay at the London Bridge Resort, Park your boat safely in a slip and enjoy room service, Martini bay, Kokamos, and a great view. After 2:00 AM bath tubs filled with ice serve as great coolers and will allow you to you cheesey lines like the ever famous "Oh... its last call already... Ive got enough drinks for all of you ladies back at my room". Usually security is bumped up for the weekends and you are safer from yourself than if we put you in a padded room with a helmet!

Option 2 (Party at all costs)
Stay at the Nauti and hope to get a spot on the water for your boat. Even if you dont get a spot in the cove, you still have your own ramp and security is the best in town. You will be crawling distance from the best bar in town and the Naked Turtle Upstairs has good food, great prices and I think they are the only place in town that tells the waitresses its not okay to treat customers like garbage. You are so close to the event that if you trip and fall you are bound to land on either Jim or Bob Teague, neither stop moving or sleep the entire weekend. The only downside is that your odds of getting in the waitress... (Stiener not included). So you will be at the best party in town and your greatest attribute will be on the trailer in the parking lot. Oh Well!
Option 3 (Got money for a reason)
Find a house to rent for the weekend. With the housing market gone cold in Lake Havasu you are bound to find a fully furnished party pad for the weekend for less than two rooms at any hotel. And I am talking about the large nice houses with pools, garages so large that you can put your boat and truck in... still hooked up. Hit the store on your way into town and save a grand on food. Every member of your party has his or her own room. Think big and spend little. Most of the houses in town are second homes and sitting vacant, call around and find one of them. Then you have some privacy for your post Naked Turtle Cheesey pickup line extravaganza!
Option 4 (I was a loan officer last year)
Show up at the run. Pay the entry fee. See that bed in the front of your boat??? Use it!
Old 11-15-2007, 05:23 PM
Mod Squad Enforcer
Charter Member

Originally Posted by jdnichols
How does that block out the OSO members, If you were in a boat participating and supporting the event, you paid $100.00 for you and your sig. other to join the activities. If you were there just to hang out and party, why stay at the event hotel?
I'm saying, please come and have fun, but acknowledge we who are in the run need the beach front hotel. There is only 130 rooms so we are spread around the town anyways, I'm just trying to help out the guys who are doing the run.

There are lots of hotels around the town, over 2000 rooms

I was at the event at the behest OF OSO.

It was a great time. I may be the only S. Fla OSO rep attending. I am NOT bringing a boat(never say never). However, I would sure like to be AT the event hotel for picture and reporting reasons. I rent a car in Vegas so it is not the driving around that bothers me. Just like to be AT the event if I travel 2700 miles to be part of it.

I am pretty sure Stu wouldn't tell someone that couldn't bring a boat that the Key West hotel was an extra $100.

I will be there either way, just makinfg a point that I think is missing a target crowd.

And Nort, come out to Vegas to meet us. Before or after the event, doesn't matter.

I will also be in Vegas for NYE...
Old 11-15-2007, 05:40 PM
Registered

Received 2,946 Likes on 978 Posts

Cash, the reason Jim has to charge the extra 100.00 for the room is due to the fact he wants to be able to block out the whole hotel for the poker run. To do that, you have to come up with a deposit. Instead of coming out of pocket up front, it's added to the room rate and refunded in the poker run package. Before passing judgement on that remember that
a) he also has to come out of pocket for the numerous permits and deposits on dive teams, helicopters, insurance, photographers etc. etc.
b) he's not the only organizer to add a percentage to hotels if booked through the poker run. FPC does the same as well as many other PR organizers.

Plus, many people that come out to attend this event have a BLAST! I've been to poker runs coast to coast and this is truely a must do event in my opinion. The entrance fee is a fractional cost compared to most poker runs.

Many people come to town this weekend to "attend" the poker run, without entering the poker run. It had become a problem in years past of people coming to spectate the poker run but not enter it. That's all fine and dandy and to be honest I was guilty of this too but if the event didn't exist it wouldn't be the same weekend. I've pleaded over the years for people to sign up to cover the cost of putting this event on even if you just want to spectate. This insures the event continues to strive over the years.

My point being. If you want to stay at the Nautical to be in the middle of the poker run action, I don't see a huge problem with spending an extra 100.00 to give back to those that are supplying you with the event you are attending. If the 100 is a big deal then theres plenty of other options as stated above.

I'm not singling you out because the added hundred has been brought up and gawked at by others here and on other boards but I don't think people see the big picture which is: the cost of and extra 100 compared to the experience is not that big of a deal.

my .02

Quick Reply: Desert Storm Poker Run-2008-Rooms?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.