Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Thinking Of Leaving Boating For Plane Or Helicopter >

Thinking Of Leaving Boating For Plane Or Helicopter

Notices

Thinking Of Leaving Boating For Plane Or Helicopter

Old 11-16-2007, 12:13 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have committed all sins in this thread. If it flys, floats or _ucks rent it, its cheaper. Horses, and my wife, a whole another problem. Theres money in horses, I know, I put it there. Doug
Attached Thumbnails Thinking Of Leaving Boating For Plane Or Helicopter-100_0925.jpg   Thinking Of Leaving Boating For Plane Or Helicopter-100_0999.jpg   Thinking Of Leaving Boating For Plane Or Helicopter-100_0562-medium-.jpg  

Old 11-20-2007, 06:11 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The best saying that I have heard regarding these things is if it Fly’s, Float’s or Fu(k’s then rent it!

Flying is definitely covered in this, it makes owning a boat look cheap. If you are going to do a heli then the budget is gone and you better be able to afford the boat and the flying!

If you want to fly don't trust a piston engine if you are in a single engine aircraft, that is if you are ever going to have any one you care about that is going to fly in the plane. Either go multi engine or turbine, turbine is preferable. Also train, train more and then train some more. I would suggest that you get at least your MEI and CFII, after all of your training fly at least once every two weeks! Also suggested is unusual attitude training, and aerobatics if you want to have fun.

Now on the fun part, a Pitts S2B will give you a rush that can be matched by no boat. When you are turning and burning at 4-6G’s it is a riot!
Old 11-20-2007, 07:47 AM
Registered

Just get one of these and be the most popular guy at the beach! Notice the "swing" hanging from the wing in the one picture for the women?
Attached Thumbnails Thinking Of Leaving Boating For Plane Or Helicopter-dcp_3382-large-.jpg   Thinking Of Leaving Boating For Plane Or Helicopter-dsc00014-large-.jpg   Thinking Of Leaving Boating For Plane Or Helicopter-ernies-25-outlaw-large-.jpg  

Old 11-20-2007, 11:47 AM
Platinum Member
Charter Member

I'm of the opinion that if it flies AND floats, it's worth owning! I've always wanted a float plane or amphib- the rush from flying off the water is incredible. I've been into lakes in Canada where only the deer can get to, and the freedom that is associated with that is unparallelled.
I'm also of the opinion that single-engine aircraft are NOT dangerous. There's plenty of old-timers all over the world with thousands of hours of flight time that have flown nothing but singles. Although I have dedicated nearly my entire career to turbine-powered aircraft, I still have no fear of flying in piston-powered singles or twins, as long as they have been maintained to the letter of the manufacturer and the law. Most accidents in aircraft, regardless of how they are powered, are still found to be pilot error once the NTSB has finished their investigations.
As the saying goes, there are old pilots, and there bold pilots. There are no old AND bold pilots.
Old 12-05-2007, 09:28 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I went through this too. My brother called me and said if i tried it, I would stop boating. It IS that addicting. I will buy another boat, but i will get a smaller one and spend more on the plane.

It is ultimate freedom. I flew 2 weeks ago to Truth or Consequences New Mexico to go fishing for 2 days.

It is expensive. I got in cheap with a cessna 172. But then you want more weight hauling capacity, more speed, more avionics and it gets expensive quick. I spent 10 grand on a new GPS last month.
Attached Thumbnails Thinking Of Leaving Boating For Plane Or Helicopter-resimg_5437.jpg   Thinking Of Leaving Boating For Plane Or Helicopter-resimg_5472.jpg   Thinking Of Leaving Boating For Plane Or Helicopter-resimg_5599.jpg  

Old 12-05-2007, 09:33 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

heres a pic of the plane
Attached Thumbnails Thinking Of Leaving Boating For Plane Or Helicopter-pipersix.jpg  
Old 12-05-2007, 10:24 AM
Registered

The Katana C-1 is a blast to fly, affordable and sips gas. Check it out - it's not a 40+ year old design / materials and you can actually see out the front of it! If you don't live on water in a place like Florida - go fly!

Cool thread!
Old 12-05-2007, 10:26 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by US1 Fountain
No need to give up boating all together. Just get you 1 of these. A Lake 200 just as Jafo mentioned. We'll even let you run with us. If it's busy at this lake, fly to the next one. He was roughly going over his yrly expenses with me a few weeks ago. Flying it is the cheap part, fuel wise. A lot cheaper than running our boats.
The overall cost was more than what I spend on boating, but a lot less than what some guys on here spend.

The water take off and landings are the best.

can't leave out the pic of yours truly... Capt. US1
Sweeeeet plane!
Old 12-05-2007, 10:47 AM
Registered

Check the NTSB reports twins ain't safer than singles, and in a wind shear condition i'd rather have a piston single than a turbine!!!! Facts not fiction.
Old 12-05-2007, 11:11 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by offshoresteve
D For now I will just keep my Skater and renting R22`s and 44`s because you cant rent a Skater
This is my logic exactly. I thought about the r22 cause you can rent them, and I can't afford a Skater (won't bother with anything else..ok..maybe a MTI). Too scared of the R22's crash record and heli's in general.

I see the heli's above the race boats usually keeping up with ease(stock engines etc) and then think about all the effort on part of a boat race team to go that fast. It almost seems stupid to boat.

I'm still thinkin the r22 is a cheaper way to go 110mph. And with catamaran insurace rates ??????

Quick Reply: Thinking Of Leaving Boating For Plane Or Helicopter

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.