Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Will I have problems with one night below freezing?! >

Will I have problems with one night below freezing?!

Notices

Will I have problems with one night below freezing?!

Old 11-16-2007, 04:34 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow, thanks for the quick replies and advice guys. I figured that might be the case with the barely below freezing temps and short period of time.

I'm assuming from reading your posts this blow out tool is a tool I'll have to special order?

Thanks for the hey-stupid advice- I needed it - will definitely read the manual

As for trusting the heated storage facility, hmm.. Well it's my local boat dealer actually, and they recommend not winterizing if keeping in their brand new heated storage facility, where million plus dollar boats are also kept. Chaparral is the cheapest line they carry so I figure with those kinds of dollars at stake and a new facility, they probably won't have too many power issues...who knows. I can always ask about insurance I guess, can't hurt
Old 11-16-2007, 04:35 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

one night wont hurt but i would use your blue pump that is on the front of the motor and drain the water out. other then that you will be fine.
Old 11-16-2007, 04:35 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Chris Sunkin
I would never, ever, ever, EVER trust that your heated storage facility won't lose power or its backup generator or anything else. Your boat needs to be winterized. My guess is the storage facility won't cover you and I'd be surprised if your boat's inurer will either.

Just curious, what would be the minimum then that you'd recommend as far as winterization goes?
Old 11-16-2007, 04:38 PM
Registered

I've maintained and modded for years my jetskis and vehicles, but this is my first boat - so I'm a total newbie with this engine and this process - any tips on some winterization procedures I can do in the short run tonight would be great...

Edit- and when I say tips, I mean could you also briefly explain it? thx again guys
Old 11-16-2007, 04:41 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

just drain the water out. therre is a blue pump attached to the front of the motor. right behind that there is a blue nipple. pulll off the nipple and put the pump on. pump till water comes out and two green pins will pop whenit is fully presurized.

that sounds pretty funny....
Old 11-16-2007, 04:42 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by diggitydank

I'm assuming from reading your posts this blow out tool is a tool I'll have to special order?
)

No. There should be a blue hand pump on the front of your engines heat exchanger. Like others have said, read the manual.
Old 11-16-2007, 04:51 PM
Registered

Received 283 Likes on 170 Posts

While were on the subject. What does it take to rust the cylinders. i.e. how cold for how long. I'm taking delivery of a boat in 2 weeks and the owner put anti-freeze in (no fogging) and I'm having it fully winterized as soon as I get it. Should I be worried about rust in the cylinders. I checked the weather and it should not get below freezing before I get the boat.
Old 11-16-2007, 05:08 PM
Rob
VIP Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by masher44
Those temps will not hurt it.
You must of stayed in a Holiday Inn last night

The Only Time You Have To Much Ammo Is When Your Swimming Or On Fire.
Old 11-16-2007, 05:15 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by ImaPoser
No. There should be a blue hand pump on the front of your engines heat exchanger. Like others have said, read the manual.

More than likely its laying in the bilge just out of reach. Those damn things always fall off!
Old 11-16-2007, 05:24 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TexomaPowerboater
While were on the subject. What does it take to rust the cylinders. i.e. how cold for how long. I'm taking delivery of a boat in 2 weeks and the owner put anti-freeze in (no fogging) and I'm having it fully winterized as soon as I get it. Should I be worried about rust in the cylinders. I checked the weather and it should not get below freezing before I get the boat.
congrats! I take it everything checked out with the survey? Awsome I hope you enjoy the new boat. I have not seen a thread about it so I won't say what you are getting

Quick Reply: Will I have problems with one night below freezing?!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.