Merc Trans What do you think? >

Merc Trans What do you think?

Notices

Merc Trans What do you think?

Old 11-19-2007, 09:24 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Heat, rpms, torque, heavy throttles are all enemies.

The Borg warners are more forgiving and you can build them to be stronger trannies. If you are looking for bulletproof then you have to send the borg warners to a reputable builder and have them upgraded to do more than you need them to do.

You can get reliable service out of the merc trans if you don't overload it, overheat it, overpower it etc. Fact: it can be upgraded. It depends on the overall circumstance of the boat, weight, HP, etc to determine what how you need to rig the tranny.

You should call HUber marine, Texoma marine or Bam and ask their opinion, but It sounds like you will be OK in your situation.
Old 11-19-2007, 09:44 PM
instigator
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by GoFastSonic
Seems like allot of people have some good things to say. I just dont want to put out 3600.00 and not have them last at least one season. Seems like heat is the number 1 enemy.
$3600 for what? that's abot 3 times too much..
Old 11-19-2007, 10:55 PM
Registered
VIP Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

$3600.00 would include the price of pulling both engines, separating the trannys and doing complete tranny overhauls and putting it all back together...right? If not, you're paying too much.

The Borg-Warners steal about 25 HP from the props.
The MercTrans takes 6 or 7.
Old 11-20-2007, 02:40 AM
Registered

Default $3600.00

That is the price Bam quoted for 2 tranies from them rebuilt with the extra clutch packs. I will be doing the work myself for the install. Not sure about doing the borg warners because of the extensive engine relocation and extra weight.
Old 11-20-2007, 07:16 AM
Registered

Who did the rebuild? Did you add the extra clutch disk?>
Trannies were on the boat when I bought it so I am not sure who did the rebuilds. They were rebuilt about 6 months before I bought it. I have two 502's in the boat, so with big blocks the trannies are somewhat strained and I think that they may have overheated. One had pink fluid, so I think that the cooler may have had a leak in it. Be sure to replace the coolers when you get your rebuilt.
Old 11-20-2007, 08:50 AM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

That is the price Bam quoted for 2 tranies from them rebuilt with the extra clutch packs. I will be doing the work myself for the install. Not sure about doing the borg warners because of the extensive engine relocation and extra weight.
If you want I have a pair of them that I just rebuilt that I can sell. They ran real well and I only have about 10 hours on them since rebuild. They were rebuild with brass clutches and all new seals...... I did not put in extra clutches as the brass clutches to allow for some additional power. Both pumps were perfect when we took them apart. They are still in my boat so I would have to pull my motors so I am not sure how much of a rush you are in but it could work out. I ma upgrading the the BW because I built two blower motors.
Old 11-21-2007, 01:10 PM
Registered

Bam quoted me $1800 per tranny, I also believe it's a FMX not a C6. I have the planatary out of an FMX and Mercury just lathed off the front and welded the clutch pack carrier to that, planatary geaars are the same, why couldn't a person drive out the pins and rebuild the merc with the Ford gears?
Old 11-21-2007, 01:54 PM
Registered

Default Audiofan

You have a message
Old 11-21-2007, 01:58 PM
Registered

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by excalibur32
Bam quoted me $1800 per tranny, I also believe it's a FMX not a C6. I have the planatary out of an FMX and Mercury just lathed off the front and welded the clutch pack carrier to that, planatary geaars are the same, why couldn't a person drive out the pins and rebuild the merc with the Ford gears?

The last time I rebuilt one, the parts came from right from Merc in Ford wrappers.
Old 11-21-2007, 02:11 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

From what I remember the weak links in the system are the shaft , the hub that holds the clutches and the key way to the pump. I would hope all those pieces and the pump are new in your rebuild price. As far as extra clutches the plates aren't the weakness and more plates put more load on the shaft and the hub. MRD used to custom fabricate a lot of the internal pieces including the hub gear that holds the clutches. I don't know what the did to toughen up the key way to pump connection. Anyway if you rebuild it properly and use new stuff you should be OK for your small blocks.
Jim

Quick Reply: Merc Trans What do you think?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.