Paint
51.25%
Vinyl
48.75%
Voters: 80. You may not vote on this poll

Paint or Vinyl, What would you choose?

Old 11-21-2007, 05:25 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Vinyl always looks like vinyl. The more elaborate the design, the more it looks like vinyl. The only thing worse is an amateur painted-graphics job.

I prefer simplicity. White boat, minimal logo. If you can afford a $50K piece of airbrush artwork for your boat, that's great. If you want $50K worth of look on a $5K budget, expect it to look like it and everyone who knows the difference to notice. Sort of like a fake Rolex.
Old 11-21-2007, 05:47 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris Sunkin
Sort of like a fake Rolex.
LMAO....

I for one want to have my boat wrapped although I'm not totally sure I will have it done as of yet. I have told some of my buddys who have commented on the design that "a sticker is still a sticker no matter how big it is..."
Old 11-21-2007, 06:40 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 144 Likes on 84 Posts

Vinyl always looks like vinyl. The more elaborate the design, the more it looks like vinyl. The only thing worse is an amateur painted-graphics job.
If you've got the bucks, go for the paint... but, if you have a good design and the job is done right, you can't tell the difference from 20 ft. Who cares if some anal jerkoff puts his nose in the air when he's inspecting your crack at the dock? I'd rather use that $$ for fuel for a few seasons.

The recent improvements are not so much in the vinyl but in the ink- it's much more resistant to fading from UV light.

NAPLES IMAGE Photo Galleries

NAPLES IMAGE PHOTOBLOG
Old 11-22-2007, 07:12 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well when it comes to bad jobs, their are just as many bad(if not more) vinyl jobs being done as paint, seems like every sign shop out there that has been doing small signs and vehicle lettering thinks they can just "throw" a bunch of vinyl on something and have it look good !!!! I've seen more bad than good..but there are one being done out there that are kick ass !!!! and a lot of peole would never know that it was not paint !!!! so don't judge what can be done by the bad one out there. I have been battling the "sticker" mentallity for years and there is a BIG differnce between slapping a bunch of stickers on vs a true viynl graphics job done by someone who knows what they are doing !!!!! also the old saying.."you get what you pay for" holds very true for viynl as well, the good materials and equipment cost !!!!! and it takes a lot of time to do it right...so do the math... when it comes to jobs just look at race cars these days....both nascar and drag racing...most all of the elaborate "paint schemes" are viynl wraps, look at the funny cars in nhra..most all wraps now, the special nascar paint....wraps, all sponsors, decals, #'s all on one sheet....yes vinyl has it's drawbacks as does anything...but don't be saying that they all look like stickers !!!!
Old 11-22-2007, 07:58 AM
Registered

Paint is out of date when it comes to graphics, no doubt about it. If you go to a good place you can get good quality wraps done that you can't even think of doing with an air-brush or paint, some of it looks live almost. The good thing about vinyl is it can come off and be changed to anything you want in a matter of a day or two, unlike paint that is more perminent and requires lots of work to change what you want in graphics or the entire layout.
Old 11-22-2007, 04:45 PM
Registered

Received 2,970 Likes on 981 Posts

I prefer simplicity. White boat, minimal logo. If you can afford a $50K piece of airbrush artwork for your boat, that's great. If you want $50K worth of look on a $5K budget, expect it to look like it and everyone who knows the difference to notice. Sort of like a fake Rolex.
I'd have to disagree. The advances made in vinyl and the ink on the vinyl are nothing like they used to be. There's more depth with shading and a shine to the vinyl like never before.

Steve Schuble was tied up next to me in Havasu and did a double take of our boat asking, "is that vinyl?" Until you're right up on top of the newer style vinyls, it looks good. I like simplicity too. And that's whats cool about vinyl. When I'm tired of this paint scheme, I'll rip it off and go all white (whats under it) with a simple cig ovall in the back or something else very subtle. Maybe a slight yellow strip along the seem of the boat to match the rest of the yellow on it. don't know what I'll do, but I know I can change it at will for 1/10th the price (or a lot less) of paint.

But hey, If I could afford 50-75k paint job I'd send it to TAOD every couple of years and have it re-painted.
Attached Thumbnails Paint or Vinyl, What would you choose?-cig-emblem.jpg  
Old 11-24-2007, 07:26 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What about the durabilty of VINYL'S ? How will the edges of the vinyl hold up when the boat is used in rough water? I'm not concerned about the fading or the quality of the 3M vinyl just about the edges coming loose in everyday boating and an occasional Poker Run?
Old 11-24-2007, 07:45 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

durability of it lifting is not a issue when using the proper material, the main draw back is damage from rubbing docks other boats, etc. the laminate protects it pretty well, but I have seen wraps done not laminated, goes back to that get what you pay for deal....I acually run a clear sealer along water edges if there is water pressure on a edge. But just rough water use not a issue...we also use the same material on airplanes and helicopters, I know some of you guys have some real fast stuff...but not as fast as aircraft !!
Old 11-24-2007, 05:56 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Default Paint - Vinyl

WOW This is my first post thought I had to settel for my old 87 240 sport baja plain jane never thought that vinyl could go over my old hull.
Old 01-08-2008, 11:38 AM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by RICHARD CUNY
WOW This is my first post thought I had to settel for my old 87 240 sport baja plain jane never thought that vinyl could go over my old hull.

First... Welcome to OSO.com. Second... Yes vinyl really gives you some wild options. Do you have a design in mind for your baja?

Quick Reply: Paint or Vinyl, What would you choose?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.