Notices

Help with boat choise.

Old 11-28-2007, 09:55 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 771 Likes on 352 Posts

Your list is just too big. You have 8 or 9 different MANUFACTURERS listed. I think when most get serious about purchasing a boat the list is narrowed down to one or two manufacturers.

To me these boats all look drastically different, and that is a very important variable in boat purchases. Additionally how are you REALLY going to use the boat? Do you need a nice cabin for overnighting or not? What size boat do you want? a 33 or a 38 because you have both listed and there is a big difference, and to me those are two different "markets" of shoppers. How important is speed to you - I wouldn't revolve my boat purchase on trying to get the most speed out of a boat for a certain Horse Power level, because the difference to be between a hypthetical X mph, and a hypothetical X+5 mph wouldn't bother me in comparison to the other variables in boat purchasing.

Be realistic about purchasing and resale value. No boat past 2000 is fully depreciated, so you are going to lose money on the boat. Moreover the boat market will be volatile during the next few years of ownership either way so I am not sure I would place TONS of emphasis on resale (which you seem to be doing). It seems to me that alot of your boats are on the list because they are in a "price range", but the amount they will depreciate will vary greatly between all the ones you have listed.

You seem to be in a hurry to purchase a boat before the spring comes when you think prices will rise - assuming that you are financing the boat what is the real price difference when you pay 6 months worth of payments by buying now. Yes - you may pay 10 grand more in June, but you will miss 6 months of 800 dollar payments, a half a years worth of insurance and property taxes. In real terms - I doubt the price is different. That being said I think YOU really need to be objective about what you want, decide what BOAT you want, and then look for one in the Right condition, with the right powertrain, and at the right price.

You seem to be working backwards - right price, then right power train, then right condition, equals the right boat brand/model - I don't like that math.

Also - I think the weight issue was brought up somewhere - reality is you will need a dually for these boats to be safe, so whether you are towing 14,000 loaded, or 16,000 loaded probably won't affect you that much because you will probably still be shopping for the same truck.

Just my .02 - I know when I started looking I knew what boat I wanted and had narrowed it down to the exact boat model from x-x years, and knew I could only afford X.

Last edited by seafordguy; 11-28-2007 at 09:58 AM.
Old 11-28-2007, 10:02 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Peter....

I would go with the Hustler 34'.... for the following reasons

1. A little less common boat to see out on the water..... I mean I LOVE the Cig's and Fountain's but in allot of cases the only visual difference is the paint job. Grant it the motor setups can be different you dont see the motor's when the boat is flying past you....

2. Because it's a "name brand" and less commonly seen for sale I would think it would make them a little more valuable when it came time to resale.....

3. the 34' is a little more manageable with a smaller crew of people....

Thats just my .02 cents to a another friend

Steve
Old 11-28-2007, 12:10 PM
Registered

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Thanks Steve.. Makes $.02.

Seafordguy.
No financing. (I don't finance anything but a house) and not in a hurry, Except that I have a terminal internal issue, no cure.. possibly manageable. This is not my first boat purchase. (7th)
Weight issue; Not buying boat that's $14000# + so under 10000# it is to be concidered for speed and handling.
Bigboats are a hassle using on the weekends unless it's racked. I hate racks. Always fork lift damage. Affordability VS. budget. 2 issues. I have a budget of what I want a toy for.
It's not like I am buying a house I willllive in for a long time. This is a toy. I will use it as much as I can, but it may sit in storage for 2 months if I have work or life issues. So.. ergo my parameters is such, Value? Speed? does it worth to spend more for a 38?' or the same for a 34 with more speed. Events. Poker runs I would use a cig or Hustler, Weekend outings Formula. No one made a boat that's All for everyone. Thus the selection list. Imput, oppinions is what I'm looking for here. Not a boat buying lesson, (no offence, and I thank for your comment)
If I had all the time in the world for boating I call Mike and have him build an OL for my specs. But some of us still have to work FT for a living.
Old 11-28-2007, 03:19 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Boat Choice

Paradox I was going to say that my choice would be the 2004 35 Formula. The newer the better. I have owned a 2001 38 with 575's and it was a great all around boat. Good in the Ocean, but can be tough on drives especially in the Ocean. I really like the ride quality. If you need me to look at the one out here, if it's not to far I will (I'm in Anaheim). The 575's are good motors but are not real good on gas, and the Blowers should be rebuilt or at least taken off and looked at after 100 hrs. If the 2004 has 500 EFI's that would be a better boat. The Salt water prior use is an issue if it was not taken care of.
Old 11-28-2007, 03:50 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by PARADOX
Front runner: 2001 Formula 353 with 575's. I need some one in CA to take a peek.
Real nice performance cruiser boat but HEAVY. Nice ride in the slop though. Might be heavier that you'd want to trail.
Old 11-28-2007, 05:18 PM
Registered

Bripar77.. Thanks. I agree that the later the better. I'm still a kid at hart so the need for sped is still here, so the 575's.
There is a 2004. Formula 353 in FLA I will take a look as well as a Hustler near Tampa.
Chris.. you are 100% correct. the Formula is a bit heavier, it's ok ..I can do the trailer thing ok. The 353 In CA with 575's sounds like the best of both words. Speed ride, and weekend luxury. The location is a problem. The hustler has 350+- hours, it might need rebuilding soon I guess. Whats the hour limit on the 500's 525's 575's anyway before refurbishing req.????
Old 11-28-2007, 05:59 PM

Yeah, California to Florida will probably cost you $6K plus. Probably cheaper to have the boat & trailer set on the back of a flatbed.

As far as finding a boat- once you decide what you want, they'll come crawling out of the woodwork. Alot of sellers have just given up. They found that lots of ads were doing nothing but costing money. Once a real buyer surfaces, so will the boats.
Old 11-28-2007, 06:39 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Chris Sunkin
Yeah, California to Florida will probably cost you $6K plus. Probably cheaper to have the boat & trailer set on the back of a flatbed.
As far as finding a boat- once you decide what you want, they'll come crawling out of the woodwork. Alot of sellers have just given up. They found that lots of ads were doing nothing but costing money. Once a real buyer surfaces, so will the boats.
That's what I was thinking about..a flat bed, I have access to trucking info.
OK C'mon.. start coming out of the woodworks. I am buying something.
I would love to find a 2002-03 Hustler for a good $. My first boat as a 16' Hustler back in 1975.
Old 11-28-2007, 07:00 PM

Originally Posted by PARADOX
That's what I was thinking about..a flat bed, I have access to trucking info.
OK C'mon.. start coming out of the woodworks. I am buying something.
I would love to find a 2002-03 Hustler for a good $. My first boat as a 16' Hustler back in 1975.
Now it's a Hustler? You couldn't get two boats at further ends of the spectrum- Formula and Hustler.

As far as a flatbed, we're working on a $1.60 to $1.75 per mile rate these days on cross country full flatbeds. A good broker should be able to hook you up. It would have to be 1,000 miles plus to justify the load/unload charge- but any marina with a travelift could do it for you.
Old 11-28-2007, 07:37 PM
Registered

Thanks Chris. I will contact you once I made a decision.
To clarify; If I get a Hustler or cig .. or alike, I will keep the old Formula 272. It's great for local weekends etc.
If I get a Formula 353 or alike then I will sell the old 272. So... I do have the option to go totaly in different boat types.
If it would be up to ME only.. I get that Formula, cig. or Donzi rigged for Poker Runs from race boat no cuddy. If I need a bed... .. I'l get a hotel. But it's not All up to me.. Just mostly..

Quick Reply: Help with boat choise.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.