Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Feds: Small boats pose big risk >

Feds: Small boats pose big risk

Notices

Feds: Small boats pose big risk

Old 11-25-2007, 11:37 PM
Registered

Received 47 Likes on 30 Posts

Any terrorist worth his salt would send the GPS transponder ID of an innocent citizen's GPS, and let that guy get arrested and put to death after some property and people get blown up. When the government says their new GPS scheme can't get hacked, just remember that the Pentagon's computers have been hacked before.

I've got tell you. We've got some dimwits in goverment.

Michael
Old 11-26-2007, 12:43 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 814 Likes on 373 Posts

We haven't had a attack or even a attempted attack on the water in the US so lets not let the retarded-trigger happy coast gurad shoot some uninformed fisherman or pleasure boater just to serve as a warning to the others,its a bunch of bs because if a terroist was determined to carry out a attack they will find a way. I just got back from a week long cruise out of Tampa and saw the different forms of port security,the ship was very vulnerable at diferent times,thats all I am going to say.
Old 11-28-2007, 08:16 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Old 11-28-2007, 08:31 AM
Registered

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Lived in that area most of my life... I can tell you that long before 9/11 the security was far tighter than anyone knew.

I was boating outside the port, in the ocean, outside of any protected NASA zone (it's marked by buoys). Well, I can tell you that multiple buoys out there have cameras on them and were spinning as we passed keeping an eye on us. This was back in 1993 or so.
Old 11-28-2007, 09:43 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

One of these days they will figure out that People not objects pose the biggest risk and will start putting chips in them...

Or so some believe..
Old 11-28-2007, 11:46 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by White Knuckles
Despite the attack seven years ago, the U.S. House of Representative's Homeland Security Committee does not have any pending or proposed legislation regarding small boats.

"We know the Coast Guard is still looking at the issue, and they'll be delivering a report by the end of the year," said a spokesperson for Committee Chairman Bennie Thompson, D-Miss.

"We'll take a strong oversight role and make sure their initiatives are developed properly with industry input."
These three statements are pulled from the article. They seem to suggest that the Homeland Security Committee does not have any pending legislation regarding small boats.

But my guess is that folks who have a hundred G's for a toy and 200 bucks an hour to run around in it can put together a pretty heavy duty lobby if they wanted to. And of course the little guys are represented by BoatUS.

The reality is: when any of us are out there, we are at risk of being stopped, boarded, and inspected. This is not a new thing. This is why all of my life growing up alongside international waters I have been hearing the phrase "Coast Guard Ready" in reference to a vessel that is prepared to be searched by having all required equipment and documentation ready and available.

IMO my GPS has made me less attractive as a search target because when the gov sees me keeping a straight line along the restricted area, they know that I know where I am and where I am going.

Cameras on bouys? Who needs one with satellites? You are in an open boat in the open. They can see the pattern on your shorts if they want.

Imagine how paranoid the guys on the airplane forums must be.

Wake me up when a law is proposed. Until then this is black helicopter talk.
Old 11-28-2007, 12:14 PM
Registered

That's absolutely ridiculous.
Old 11-28-2007, 12:26 PM
Registered

Sounds like more fear tactics to take even more liberties away from law abiding citizens.
Old 11-28-2007, 01:13 PM
Registered

I think that they worry more about our little pleasure boats now than they worried about German U-Boat submarines offshore here during World War 2.
Old 11-28-2007, 01:16 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Might as well pull all cars and trucks off the roads, too....someone's liable to put a bomb in one and drive it over to the port.

Idiots.