Like Tree0Likes

Bought a New Boat if It checks out! Opinions?

Old 11-28-2007, 10:35 AM
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexomaPowerboater View Post
Take out the 496 for a 454????????????? Why not procharge the 496? I'd keep the 496 and put it back in when its time to sale. It will be worth more and be an easier sale.
From what I have read a 496 does not seem to be a reliable base for a procharger. The thought did cross my mind! My 454 was built specifically for the procharger setup.

My plan is to sell the 496 if I can get the right $$$'s for it. Don't really have anywhere to store it. From what I read I should be able to get over 10K? Then I'm gonna get a stock 454 say 330HP and put it in the Pachanga and sell the Pachanga. My boat guy has a fresh 454...just haven't asked him how much he wants. Anyone want a nice 22ft Pachanga less an Engine?
Old 11-28-2007, 11:03 AM
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by pachanga View Post
From what I have read a 496 does not seem to be a reliable base for a procharger. The thought did cross my mind! My 454 was built specifically for the procharger setup.

My plan is to sell the 496 if I can get the right $$$'s for it. Don't really have anywhere to store it. From what I read I should be able to get over 10K? Then I'm gonna get a stock 454 say 330HP and put it in the Pachanga and sell the Pachanga. My boat guy has a fresh 454...just haven't asked him how much he wants. Anyone want a nice 22ft Pachanga less an Engine?
I would love to hear people's opinions on my plan...pros and cons. My wife is starting to say just keep it stock! ARRRRRGH!
Old 11-28-2007, 11:59 AM
Platinum Member
Charter Member

My Boats: Formula

Quote:
I would love to hear people's opinions on my plan...pros and cons. My wife is starting to say just keep it stock! ARRRRRGH!
It's going to be more reliable and easier to sell later on if you leave it alone.
Old 11-28-2007, 12:32 PM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member
Trade Score: (1)

My Boats: 17' Speedliner Cat & O.P.B.

Looks like a clean boat. However, the headliner surround the V-berth looks to have some water issues in the pictures.

Your first upgrade needs to be full external hydraulic steering. After that, you can talk about speed.

Winterize/fog/preserve the 496 well with a good antifreeze/rust inhibitor, and fog it well with 2-stroke oil in the fuel system; the right way. Then pull it out and save it for when you sell. Then do what you want with the 454/Blower.
Old 11-28-2007, 12:41 PM
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydwayz View Post
Looks like a clean boat. However, the headliner surround the V-berth looks to have some water issues in the pictures.

Your first upgrade needs to be full external hydraulic steering. After that, you can talk about speed.

Winterize/fog/preserve the 496 well with a good antifreeze/rust inhibitor, and fog it well with 2-stroke oil in the fuel system; the right way. Then pull it out and save it for when you sell. Then do what you want with the 454/Blower.
I actually just bought a new IMCO twin ram full hydraulic steering system! Planning on putting it on! Now let's talk about speed!

I questioned the seller very directly about what appears to be a waterstain. He says it is the pattern in the fabric. Got a highly recommended surveyor inspecting it Friday. Fingers crossed!
Thanks for ther input!
Old 11-28-2007, 12:54 PM
Registered

My Boats: 91 Scarab 21' Excel/1999 Proline 200 sport

Quote:
I actually just bought a new IMCO twin ram full hydraulic steering system! Planning on putting it on! Now let's talk about speed!

I questioned the seller very directly about what appears to be a waterstain. He says it is the pattern in the fabric. Got a highly recommended surveyor inspecting it Friday. Fingers crossed!
Thanks for ther input!
Thats definitely a water stain
Old 11-28-2007, 01:17 PM
Registered

My Boats: 2001 Formula Fastech 353

My friend has a 38PQ and it's a great boat. No problems and he bought it new in 01'. I'm no pro but it seems to be a fast hull. My only worry would be getting PQ specific parts as last I heard they haven't reopened. And I'm going with water stain too. Good luck and enjoy.
Old 11-28-2007, 01:35 PM
Registered

I will find out Friday if it's a waterstain or not. I can't see why the guy would lie about it. He was suprised when I asked about it! He even made a special trip out to look in the cabin because he agreed it definately looks like a waterstain in the picture. Came back and told me it was the pattern in the material.

Thanks for all the well wishes!
Old 11-28-2007, 01:45 PM

My Boats: 1990 28 Apache SOLD!, 1990 16 Wahoo DC, 1973 40 Kingscraft

Quote:

I say keep the boat stock or upgrade the 496. Its not worth the added cost and headache. These engine swaps never turn out smoothly. You need to address the water stain instead of taking the sellers word for it. Get it surveyed. The hull to deck could be "working" and allow water to seep in. I apoligize to PQ owners in advance if this offends you, but lots of different boats can do this.

I've got to ask.........for $45K, why not buy a bigger boat. You could get most anything in the 28ft range - PQ included
Old 11-28-2007, 02:14 PM
Registered

My Boats: 1990 Mirage 257 , twin 6.2 MX
Arrow

Pachanga , very nice boat .Your wife will love the ride on it compared to your 22 . My boat is similar in size . I run mine in some big snot with a little help with tabs no problem .I have some stains on my headliner caused by some railing bolts loosening letting water seeping through . PITA to remove the liner to retighten these bolts .You don't seem to have bowrailing on this PQ , so water could have traveled forward from the window frame bolts ? My boat's hull & deck is bonded with additional mat covering the joints , don't know how the PQ hull/deck put together . If the hull/deck is a shoebox bolted together , only the rubrail and silicone would keep water stains from happening .