Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Bought a New Boat if It checks out! Opinions? >

Bought a New Boat if It checks out! Opinions?

Notices

Bought a New Boat if It checks out! Opinions?

Old 11-28-2007, 11:30 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TexomaPowerboater
I say keep the boat stock or upgrade the 496. Its not worth the added cost and headache. These engine swaps never turn out smoothly. You need to address the water stain instead of taking the sellers word for it. Get it surveyed. The hull to deck could be "working" and allow water to seep in. I apoligize to PQ owners in advance if this offends you, but lots of different boats can do this.

I've got to ask.........for $45K, why not buy a bigger boat. You could get most anything in the 28ft range - PQ included
I am getting the boat surveyed! We'll wait and see...again..fingers crossed! Engine swap should be quite easy...just need to decide if I want the ass of my motor or the OK preformance and dependability of the 496! Powerquest bolts and glasses the hull to the deck. I feel after talking with the seller before I commited to buy that he is telling the truth. We will know on Friday....fingers crossed! I did quite a bit better than 45! If this boat surveys out I gots myself a damn good deal! I am a trailoring boat guy! Anything bigger then it becomes an issue...could handle up to 28...but wanted something a little newer.

PS I guess I got a good boat guy! Went from a 454 car crate motor with an Alph to my marine 454 built for a procharger and swaped to a Bravo drive! Big ta do there! No problems except getting the carb setup right...causiously leaning down. I am definately not worried about issues with the swap...just weighing things out!
Old 11-28-2007, 11:37 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by spectras only
Pachanga , very nice boat .Your wife will love the ride on it compared to your 22 . My boat is similar in size . I run mine in some big snot with a little help with tabs no problem .I have some stains on my headliner caused by some railing bolts loosening letting water seeping through . PITA to remove the liner to retighten these bolts .You don't seem to have bowrailing on this PQ , so water could have traveled forward from the window frame bolts ? My boat's hull & deck is bonded with additional mat covering the joints , don't know how the PQ hull/deck put together . If the hull/deck is a shoebox bolted together , only the rubrail and silicone would keep water stains from happening .
Spectras...Thanks for the reply! I hope my wife will be happy! My mother looked at the pic and agreed it could be the pattern in the fabric because she could follow the line around the cockpit. I think if it isn't a waterstain I am going to have to take quite a few pics to prove otherwise here! If it is it will probably kill the deal. :-( See my previous post as to how PQ puts the deck and hull together!
Old 11-29-2007, 03:44 AM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 1,821 Likes on 907 Posts

Originally Posted by TexomaPowerboater
I've got to ask.........for $45K, why not buy a bigger boat. You could get most anything in the 28ft range - PQ included

He got it quite a bit cheaper than that on ebay. He had the ebay link posted originally.
Old 11-29-2007, 05:12 AM
Registered
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by Jigsaw89
I'd look at a used Superboat Y2K before ever considering a Powerquest. Good Luck!
Dan
Well said Dan !!!!
Old 11-29-2007, 06:45 AM
Registered

Received 217 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by Superbabi
Well said Dan !!!!
2 different boats,
Old 11-29-2007, 09:53 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by boatnt
2 different boats,
Most Definately. I looked at the few in the classifieds here and I didn't like them. My boat has to be a compromise if my wife's gonna go along with it. Seems like I recall the superboats have a narrower beam?
Old 11-29-2007, 09:54 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Griff
He got it quite a bit cheaper than that on ebay. He had the ebay link posted originally.