Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Can A Legit "Trick" survive the competition? >

Can A Legit "Trick" survive the competition?

Notices

Can A Legit "Trick" survive the competition?

Old 11-29-2007, 11:49 PM
Registered

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Why would anyone want to try? Who would want to start a biz to cater to whiney, spoiled middle aged cry babies that expect to get what they pay for and actually complain when they don't!!
Old 11-29-2007, 11:51 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by LubeJobs42
Why would anyone want to try? Who would want to start a biz to cater to whiney, spoiled middle aged cry babies that expect to get what they pay for and actually complain when they don't!!
LMAO.....Good One GINO!!
Old 11-29-2007, 11:52 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by LubeJobs42
LMAO

You purchased that book yet Gino and started her obedience training?
Old 11-29-2007, 11:59 PM
Xtreme Cooler Test Dumby
Platinum Member

If I remember correctly Fred was buying in pretty large quantites. He told me he had Hundreds of Guages....in stock, a **** load of CMI headers and a ton of those damn steering wheels. With that type of purchase power isn't feasable that he could pass on his savings to the customer and turn a dime and as a result "under cut" the comp. It's my understanding Fred just forgot to pay the manufactores.(you know how that happens every once and awhile)
Old 11-30-2007, 12:04 AM
A to Z
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The bitterness of poor service is still there long after the sweetness of low prices are gone.
Old 11-30-2007, 12:11 AM
Registered

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Rumrunner >> quote>>> "As a manufacture you can take certain policies, and take certain precautions. Where I worked before we would have the actual owners sign "personal" guarantees that items would be paid for if the business went broke."

Thus.. the corporate umbrella.
Old 11-30-2007, 03:45 AM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 1,783 Likes on 884 Posts

IMO, there are a lot better and easier ways to make money with the amount of capitol you would need to get started. The marine business just has too many custom parts and variations of those custom parts.

You would pretty much need a half milion dollars worth of inventory just sitting there. If you sell on average 10-20% over cost, you would probably clear 5% after expenses.

It would be pretty easy to make more than 5% on your half million somewhere else.

I don't know the exact numbers of course, but this seems realistic.
Old 11-30-2007, 04:45 AM
Registered

Received 89 Likes on 18 Posts

Maybe Fred was doing this...... selling product "A", "B" and "C" at cost because they are high moving items. That builds your customer base and popularity up quickly and undercuts the competition. Then your profit is made from products "D" through "Z". Sure it pisses off the competition but...... Business is business.
Old 11-30-2007, 07:19 AM
Registered

I've been in and out and around the marine business since 1980.

The oldest adage is "Do you want to make a million dollars in the boat business?....start with 2 million.
Old 11-30-2007, 07:49 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

There probably isn't an industry that this hasn't been tried in. In the end, virtually everyone gets hurt. The manufacturers get margins cut. The competition loses sales. The discounter ends up with a zero-net-margin business that fails and while some people got some deals, they got no service or support so who's the big winner here? Nobody.

The WalMart model works for plastic bowls, cheap clothing and the like. Low-cost goods that require no pre-sale, post sale or warranty support. Wal Mart changes oil, not engines. And, for good reason. They're skimming the cream.

Quick Reply: Can A Legit "Trick" survive the competition?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.