Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Can A Legit "Trick" survive the competition? >

Can A Legit "Trick" survive the competition?

Notices

Can A Legit "Trick" survive the competition?

Old 11-30-2007, 07:56 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris Sunkin
There probably isn't an industry that this hasn't been tried in. In the end, virtually everyone gets hurt. The manufacturers get margins cut. The competition loses sales. The discounter ends up with a zero-net-margin business that fails and while some people got some deals, they got no service or support so who's the big winner here? Nobody.
Very well put......100% accurate.....

The problem is discounters lower the value of the product.....which creates less and less margin....

When the margin is all gone it becomes a race to see who has enough money or the least amount of brains to struggle to keep a location open.....First one to run out of money looses....
Old 11-30-2007, 07:57 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This was an e-mail Fred sent,,, I was talking with Kirk about some CMI's for my 496 and Fred tried to swoop in and take away his sale... Aparently this was his business model...

Don't expect the prices to remain low with this little price war. I'm actually going to raise my listed prices [probably tonight] and let the new guys loose their asses with their newly advertised prices. I sell multiple lines of products so I can switch my selling emphasis to more profitable items while the dust settles. I operate with my own money and can afford for the product to slow down and sell fewer sets at more profit. My European sales of headers are strong and I supply several dealers over there. That won't change.

The "other guys" have a single product and are spending outside investors money. I know what they pay for headers as a new distributor and it's more than myself and Bob Teague pay. With investors looking for a return, they won't be able to hang in there with no ROI for any length of time.

At this point even CMI realizes they made a mistake by granting them a distributorship and is contemplating forcing minimum advertised pricing.

Fred
Old 11-30-2007, 08:05 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris288
This was an e-mail Fred sent,,, I was talking with Kirk about some CMI's for my 496 and Fred tried to swoop in and take away his sale... Aparently this was his business model...
Originally Posted by Fred
Don't expect the prices to remain low with this little price war. I'm actually going to raise my listed prices [probably tonight] and let the new guys loose their asses with their newly advertised prices. I sell multiple lines of products so I can switch my selling emphasis to more profitable items while the dust settles. I operate with my own money and can afford for the product to slow down and sell fewer sets at more profit. My European sales of headers are strong and I supply several dealers over there. That won't change.

The "other guys" have a single product and are spending outside investors money. I know what they pay for headers as a new distributor and it's more than myself and Bob Teague pay. With investors looking for a return, they won't be able to hang in there with no ROI for any length of time.

At this point even CMI realizes they made a mistake by granting them a distributorship and is contemplating forcing minimum advertised pricing.

Fred
And there you have it...wow.

That isn't a business model....that's a short-term, cash pumping scheme. Pump and dump.
Old 11-30-2007, 08:07 AM
Registered

Received 743 Likes on 401 Posts

In today's market, there appears to be plenty of of established players. I've had dealings with a few of them that advertise here (Rex, Teague, BAM, etc.) and have found their service to be excellent and their prices reasonable. Not sure we need a "Wal-Mart" type marine parts business.
Old 11-30-2007, 08:13 AM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I have customers ask me why I charge so much all the time. I think it is funny when people living in a 20 million dollar home are asking me for a discount!! I have always stuck to my guns and ussually get the jobs. I did loose a pre wire for next week as the guy was 10 grand less then me (30%) with more wire installed. The owner asked me to come to the house after this guy is done and let him know how the cheap guy did. I know the cheap guy and can't waite to see the work
Old 11-30-2007, 08:27 AM
Rob
VIP Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

[QUOTE=RumRunner;2353708][QUOTE=Jupiter Sunsation;2353703]
Originally Posted by RumRunner

Now I don't know all of the facts with what happened, but businesses have insurance, and legal ramifications to take care of debt, hopefully at least all of the individuals get taken care of.

As a manufacture you can take certain policies, and take certain precautions. Where I worked before we would have the actual owners sign "personal" guarantees that items would be paid for if the business went broke.
Ive seen business's here were the owner had to sign personally for the biz's debt. Usually its if the biz which is incorp hasn't been in biz long enough.Have a buddy that was in the body shop biz that fill bankruptcy two time in 2 business's. When he open the second one they made him liable for the dept, he sill went under later and file bankruptcy 7.

I haven't heard of a insurance policy thats on a business to guarantee there det.

Being that I do my own financing I have sold a policy that would pay their dept if they got behind, but it was almost as much as the Furniture payment.

The Only Time You Have To Much Ammo Is When Your Swimming Or On Fire.
Old 11-30-2007, 08:55 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

[QUOTE=Strip Poker 388;2353963][QUOTE=RumRunner;2353708]
Originally Posted by Jupiter Sunsation

I haven't heard of a insurance policy thats on a business to guarantee there det.

You can get a performance bond or a bank letter of credit. Both only work if you HAVE the money and just don't want to send it. Insurance to guarantee a debt would require a premium in the amount of the debt. You can also sell your receivables to a factor. They charge a percentage and assume your risk. You can also purchase your goods on a floorplan- like a business revolving credit account that's item-specific. Pay the interest and only pay for the item when it moves.

There are lots of options but they only work for legitimate businesses with resources.

IIRC, Trick and Fred individually were on that CMI lawsuit- maybe they did get a personal guarantee. There's no absolute protection though- even if you get a judgment, you still have to collect.
Old 11-30-2007, 09:07 AM
Registered

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

The only way it could is if there was some BS stuff that you could pull a huge profit on. Like Best Buy does when they sell you a TV near cost, then a bunch of Monster cables at a 10x markup
Old 11-30-2007, 09:14 AM
Registered
VIP Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Talking

Originally Posted by marylandmark
Yep- Can't make chicken soup out of chicken chit.
Well, you could, but it doesn't taste very good.
Old 11-30-2007, 09:16 AM
Charter Member #1171
Charter Member

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Sean H
The bitterness of poor service is still there long after the sweetness of low prices are gone.

Been one of my favorite quotes for years !!!

Quick Reply: Can A Legit "Trick" survive the competition?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.