Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Attn Chain O' Lakes boaters, need to go to this meeting !!! >

Attn Chain O' Lakes boaters, need to go to this meeting !!!

Notices

Attn Chain O' Lakes boaters, need to go to this meeting !!!

Old 11-30-2007, 06:55 PM
VIP Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Attn Chain O' Lakes boaters, need to go to this meeting !!!

We need to get as many people as possible to go to a meeting Dec 13th at 6:30 pm at the McHenry Municipal bldg. 333 S. green st. in Mchenry. Read the story below. We need to have a presence at all future meetings to voice our opinions before they pass any more laws/restrictions.

Below is an article that I copied from the Daily Herald today.

" A speed limit for the Chain O' Lakes"

On the Chain O' Lakes, the tranquil sound of the water lapping against a seawall is becoming more frequently replaced by the roar of a high-performance boat.

The noise -- and the safety hazard -- from boats traveling the busy waterway at top speed has people living and boating on the Chain looking for some changes.

Those changes could include establishing a speed limit to help curtail accidents and reduce noise.

Fox Waterway Agency officials will hold discussions in the coming months regarding speed restrictions on the Chain O' Lakes.

"The thought is slowing boats down would not only increase safety but reduce noise," Executive Director Ingrid Ruttendjie said. "It's no secret: The more the boats are revved up, the louder the boat is."

She said a 45 mph speed limit has been bantered about, but added that number is just a starting point. Lake and McHenry county sheriff's departments would be responsible for enforcing the speed limit, she said.

There is no speed limit on the Chain now. Typically, boats travel between 25 and 50 m.p.h. Some are capable of reaching speeds above 100 mph.

Agency officials wouldn't be the first to restrict speed. Lake Geneva in Wisconsin employs a speed limit of 45 miles an hour on weekdays and 35 miles an hour on weekends.

The agency will review options during the next meeting, at 6:30 p.m. Dec. 13 at the McHenry municipal building, 333 S. Green St.

They could face some opposition from marina owners and boaters.

Boater John Vileta of Fox Lake said adding more restrictions on the Chain could drive boaters away and hurt businesses.

"It's like people moving next to an airport, then asking the airplanes to quiet down," he said. "They bought their homes on the lakes and knew about the noise issues. They should live with them."

Fox Waterway Chairman Howard "Bud" Scott said he's all for trying to reduce noise and making the lakes and river safe, but said the speed limit proposal won't get his support.

"I can see why they are looking at all kinds of things, and noise is a big issue for people, but they'll have to wait until I leave to put a speed limit on there," he said. "I'm all for safe boating, but we have enough laws in place right now. Besides, I think the guys with the fast boats know when to drive fast and when to take it easy."

Scott said the owners of faster boats are pretty good at policing themselves.

"We should just wait and see what comes of it," he said. "Right now, there's only a minority of people asking for a speed limit, but there are a lot of boaters out there who we haven't heard from."

Last edited by Smitty; 11-30-2007 at 09:03 PM.
Old 11-30-2007, 07:03 PM
Registered

Oh nooooo....!
Old 11-30-2007, 07:13 PM
Registered

Executive Director Ingrid Ruttendjie said. "It's no secret: The more the boats are revved up, the louder the boat is."

Why not just put an upper end on how loud something can be rather than speed.

What a ****, I'll bet she is also a helicopter parent.
Old 11-30-2007, 11:34 PM
Registered

Received 27 Likes on 12 Posts

As i was being issued my ticket for excessive noise in October the officer told me they will be enforcing a 75 db limit, idle or on plane for '08. These guys are nuts! See everyone on the 13th.
Old 12-02-2007, 01:33 PM
VIP Member

Ttt
Old 12-02-2007, 03:02 PM
Registered

I will be there !!
Old 12-02-2007, 04:45 PM
Registered

Man you have to call me...
4 years ago as Indiana was thinking of speed limits, I went to Indy and testified. Made the state give me all the accident statistic for the area they were talking about. Maybe not exact on the numbers...but 11 accidents...19 boaters and only one...one with more than 10 hours boating. and that person was run into by someone under 10 hours. Told the DNR that I would start a campaign for boat licensing before I would agree to lowering speed limits. It was really funny when the guy before me was an old lake ass. pres. complaining about the big fast boats on the lake. I told him I had been on the lake since my mom was pregnant and every one of the guys he was talking about all had over 1000 hrs. on the lake and three had offshore licenses, me 40 years + him 7. Tell them you want boat license for all people on the water and watch they squirm...call for details...734-777-1878...Mike
Old 12-02-2007, 08:05 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

' LOUD PIPES SAVE LIVES "