Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Mercury Refresh Program on 850, 1075, and 1200 HP. >

Mercury Refresh Program on 850, 1075, and 1200 HP.

Notices

Mercury Refresh Program on 850, 1075, and 1200 HP.

Old 12-04-2007, 01:33 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Do they Dyno for that

Do they Dyno the Motors in the Cost? They should seems worthless if they don't.
Old 12-05-2007, 07:37 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Where are the people who actually run the high end boats with the Mercury motors? I don't see them complaining on here. Almost all of my friends with big boats run 1075's and 850's(9 guys with the big new generation Mercs). They get to turn the key and go boating. They almost all had boats with big power from the big non-Merc names before and experienced the BIG BANG. NONE of them have blown up a Merc 1075 or 850. NONE of them will buy anything other than MERC. I'm sorry, but I'm listening to them, not people looking in from the outside.

At the end of the day, you could make an argument that it doesn't cost more to run a Merc boat: from initial purchase price of the new boat, less failures and better, faster resale. But let's not even go there. Let's say it is more expensive to run Merc.

People will pay for a superior product, reliability and resale value. Let's see at the Miami Boat Show how horrible Mercury is when you look at the Outerlimits, Nor-tech, and Cigarette booths. Let's see what the big dogs buy this winter.

Last edited by Watching; 12-05-2007 at 08:00 AM.
Old 12-05-2007, 08:03 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Cool

When $20-30k becomes like a $100 bill to me i'll be glad to have mine refreshed. But for now that's a whole freakin boat, so NO Thanks!
Old 12-05-2007, 08:47 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by BobbyB
Has anyone used this service yet?
I am waiting to get my 1075 back from Merc. for my first rebuild . I will report all my findings , and experience on this when finished up.

Just remember this when dealing with ANY of these guys ...

"There is NO magic"
Old 12-05-2007, 09:05 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 35 Likes on 8 Posts

Please keep me posted. I am just curious on how this goes. And i do agree there is no magic.
Old 12-05-2007, 09:26 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 36 Likes on 10 Posts

Mercury gives a 6 month warranty over hours of use becasue they know the first 6 months of a new boat will be somewhat conservative. Meaning a new owner slaps down a half a mill, the boat is new and they are just trying to figure it out. Eventually they know exactly how the boat is going to react and then is when WOT is the norm. At 7 months the sticks are on the dash 99% of the time and the motor goes boom, and merc goes Ka Ching.
Old 12-05-2007, 09:34 AM
A to Z
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by BraceYourself
Mercury gives a 6 month warranty over hours of use becasue they know the first 6 months of a new boat will be somewhat conservative. Meaning a new owner slaps down a half a mill, the boat is new and they are just trying to figure it out. Eventually they know exactly how the boat is going to react and then is when WOT is the norm. At 7 months the sticks are on the dash 99% of the time and the motor goes boom, and merc goes Ka Ching.
So how many 850/1075/1200's have you seen go "kaboom"?

Like somebody else mentioned, the only people complaining on here are people who don't have them? One came on here who has their engine there now, didn't hear too many complaints.....

If there was some kind of Mercury outrage by the actual owners you think you would of heard it by now, hmmm......
Old 12-05-2007, 09:39 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 36 Likes on 10 Posts

I'm not bashing mercury, any engine run at WOT constantly eventually will fail. And yes I do know people that have 1075's, and have had engine failures.

Most owners know that bashing what they have does no good on this site, complain to merc is about all. The people you hear complaing about problems on engine packages, are engines that are much more abundant and in return more problems seem to arise beacasue of the shear number difference.

And as far as the warranty I'm just stating mercury is better off giving a time frame rather then hours of use. I don't think a 850 is going to go boom at 7 months, just explaining why I think its a 6 month warranty rather then hours of use.

I have blown up four 9000hp motors and you never heard me outraged. Just took my lumps and bumbs and moved on. They weren't merc but after owning merc I do think there is a difference.

Last edited by BraceYourself; 12-05-2007 at 10:00 AM.
Old 12-05-2007, 09:46 AM
A to Z
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by BraceYourself
I'm not bashing mercury, any engine run at WOT constantly eventually will fail. And yes I do know people that have had 1075's, and have had engine failures.
your right, they all can fail, no secret about that, its just a mechanical item. its just funny that there is two pages of people complaining about something they don't have, when there are othere engine builders stuff who goes boom way more often with much less volume out there than what mercury has. you think there would be threads about those guys so these guys could complain about...

like i said above, if their actual customers were outraged, we probably would of heard about it, OSO is good for that.
Old 12-05-2007, 09:49 AM
Geronimo36
Gold Member

Received 131 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by Sean H
If there was some kind of Mercury outrage by the actual owners you think you would of heard it by now, hmmm......
I could care less also....anything merc we pay a mark up on it.

Keep in mind though, there a lots of things you and I don't hear about. And no, this isn't a subliminal message...just stating that things aren't always perfect in paradise.

Quick Reply: Mercury Refresh Program on 850, 1075, and 1200 HP.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.