Notices

New marine diesel engine

Old 12-23-2008, 10:39 AM
  #31  
Registered
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Winterville, NC
Posts: 24
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by outriggers View Post
The modular cylinder kinda reminds me of a Deutz. Doug
But Duetz still uses a full cast-iron block and their modular cylinders are just basically removable sleeves. Our jug is made of aluminum with a cast-iron sleeve pressed in. This significantly reduces the overall weight of the engine.



We have some preliminary power numbers.

So far, we have only gotten about 160 Hp at 9 gal/hr fuel burn. My boss's boat has 2 Cat diesels, when he is burning 35 gal/hr, he gets about 565 Hp. So let's assume it's a linear trend, at 36 gal/hr (4x our current fuel burn), we will be getting about 640 Hp! We are working to adjust our BSFC. These numbers were made with a BSFC around 0.45. We are still extremely happy with these numbers and as soon as we get more, I will be sure to let everyone know.
timbillyosu is offline  
Old 12-23-2008, 12:43 PM
  #32  
Registered
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Freehold, NJ
Posts: 1,403
Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts
Default

Tim,

Good luck, we always expressed things in lbs of fuel/Hp hour. We always felt anywhere from .33 to .36 lbs/hr was good and meant we were very effiecent?

Joe Gere
HabanaJoe is online now  
Old 12-23-2008, 03:59 PM
  #33  
Registered
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Turku, Finland
Posts: 1,823
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default

Originally Posted by fabricator View Post
Which Big Rig engine are they modifying ?

MANY Big rig engineS has those features.

Last edited by MikeyFIN; 12-23-2008 at 04:14 PM.
MikeyFIN is offline  
Old 12-23-2008, 04:07 PM
  #34  
Registered
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Turku, Finland
Posts: 1,823
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default

Originally Posted by timbillyosu View Post
But Duetz still uses a full cast-iron block and their modular cylinders are just basically removable sleeves. Our jug is made of aluminum with a cast-iron sleeve pressed in. This significantly reduces the overall weight of the engine.



We have some preliminary power numbers.

So far, we have only gotten about 160 Hp at 9 gal/hr fuel burn. My boss's boat has 2 Cat diesels, when he is burning 35 gal/hr, he gets about 565 Hp. So let's assume it's a linear trend, at 36 gal/hr (4x our current fuel burn), we will be getting about 640 Hp! We are working to adjust our BSFC. These numbers were made with a BSFC around 0.45. We are still extremely happy with these numbers and as soon as we get more, I will be sure to let everyone know.
Hey, what did you forget to mention with them aluminum cylinders sleeved if they are modular...seems your trying to make a Lycomig as a diesel....and just as fragile

35gal/hr and only 565 ..which Cat in question?

Maybe you guys should try to tune and bluprint the engine first...


Regarding non vented Surface drives and big cleavers, Joe Done it already. from standstill to 15 knots quite slow but from 15 up in 3 seconds per 10 knots up to 54...
Cat Powered 25K lbs behemoth....without a two or multispeed tranny.

But Im more waiting to get my hands on a 5000rpm V12 750hp Diesel that fits anywhere a BBC does...and 800 ft.lbs to boot all over the Rpm range...and with a race history to back the sturdiness up.

Oopps maybe I said too much..

Last edited by MikeyFIN; 12-23-2008 at 04:13 PM.
MikeyFIN is offline  
Old 12-24-2008, 05:01 AM
  #35  
Registered
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: uk
Posts: 50
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by MikeyFIN View Post
But Im more waiting to get my hands on a 5000rpm V12 750hp Diesel that fits anywhere a BBC does...and 800 ft.lbs to boot all over the Rpm range...and with a race history to back the sturdiness up.

Oopps maybe I said too much..
So when do you hope to bag an Audi unit ... anyhow they only ran or so I thought around 650hpish at Le Mans from the 6ltr block so how you going to squeeze 750 out it and in the road car 500hp for reliability that to me seems like a 550hpish boat race engine and it fits in a incy mid engine bay R8 car ... defo one future engine to keep an eye on
aquafun is offline  
Old 12-24-2008, 09:08 AM
  #36  
Registered
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Winterville, NC
Posts: 24
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by HabanaJoe View Post
Tim,

Good luck, we always expressed things in lbs of fuel/Hp hour. We always felt anywhere from .33 to .36 lbs/hr was good and meant we were very effiecent?
That is the BSFC number I was talking about. It stands for Brake Specific Fuel Consumption. So we were getting about 0.45 lb/hp-hr. as i said, we need to do more tuning to get things running more efficiently.

Originally Posted by MikeyFIN View Post
Which Big Rig engine are they modifying ?

MANY Big rig engineS has those features.
We aren't modifying anything. This is our own design.

Originally Posted by MikeyFIN View Post
Hey, what did you forget to mention with them aluminum cylinders sleeved if they are modular...seems your trying to make a Lycomig as a diesel....and just as fragile

Maybe you guys should try to tune and bluprint the engine first...
The aluminum cylinders have a cast-iron sleeve pressed into them. I don't know much about the Lycomig engines, but I can tell you now that nothing we have here has seemed fragile as of yet.

As I said, we have some work to do to get things tuned to where they need to be. These numbers are just preliminary. Just kind of a "Hey, we're actually doing something"
timbillyosu is offline  
Old 12-24-2008, 10:17 AM
  #37  
Registered
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Tucson, AZ
Posts: 495
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Jesus you guys are negative.....

They are trying to build a better diesel, thats it.

They did not come on here saying they could break speed records, make pigs fly, build a Aplha drive to hold a ton of power, etc,etc....

Why can't people just say, "Looks good man, post some more info along the way"

Negative f*cks all of you.
40FlatDeck is offline  
Old 12-24-2008, 10:38 AM
  #38  
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: West edge of the Pacific
Posts: 610
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It's all a matter of view!

Originally Posted by 40FlatDeck View Post
Jesus you guys are negative.....

They are trying to build a better diesel, thats it.

They did not come on here saying they could break speed records, make pigs fly, build a Aplha drive to hold a ton of power, etc,etc....

Why can't people just say, "Looks good man, post some more info along the way"

Negative f*cks all of you.
Lighten up dude. There is a difference between being negative and being critical. Critical input actually helps Timbilly detect problems that he doesn't see from his angle. Between me, joe and mikey combined there is over a hundred years of diesel experience. Some of the technology on this "new" engine has already come & gone in engines you don't see any more.
29Firefox is offline  
Old 12-24-2008, 11:39 AM
  #39  
Registered
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Freehold, NJ
Posts: 1,403
Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts
Default

40flatdeck -

You listen here!!! I am always negative and I say I am, never doubted that I am for one minute - so thanks for noticing!!!

On a serious note though, I do wish them luck, I hope they make it. All I've ever said from day one is it sounds like they are building engines geared toward slower boats not performance boats.

timbillyosu -

How long have you been with these guys?
HabanaJoe is online now  
Old 12-24-2008, 11:49 AM
  #40  
Registered
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Tucson, AZ
Posts: 495
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by 29Firefox View Post
Lighten up dude. There is a difference between being negative and being critical. Critical input actually helps Timbilly detect problems that he doesn't see from his angle. Between me, joe and mikey combined there is over a hundred years of diesel experience. Some of the technology on this "new" engine has already come & gone in engines you don't see any more.
Lighten up...........me??

I am all for people trying to make something better.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
Donger.........
40FlatDeck is offline  

Quick Reply: New marine diesel engine


Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2023 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.