Bad Boat deal in Fort Myers, FL

Notices

Bad Boat deal in Fort Myers, FL

Old 12-06-2007, 01:22 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Angry Bad Boat deal in Fort Myers, FL

I put this in the General Boating section because I'm not sure if its to the point of filing it under stolen/theft. Here's my story:
On May 18th of this year I purchased a 1989 Wellcraft Nova XL from Boatland Collision Center of North Ft. Myers, Fl. via an Ebay auction. Contacted the seller and arranged for a shipper to pick up and deliver the boat to Holland, Michigan where I live. We had a Specific time and Date for this to occur. My shipper shows up to extract the boat and finds the gates are locked and the owner, Tom Dietrich, will not answer his cell or the land-line. After trying for 3 DAYS (Amazing Shipper) he finally gives up and calls me to inform me he must move on with his schedule. I FULLY understand, what can you do after 3 days. Initially after the first failed attempt, Tom answered the phone and set-up a second time to pick up, which he failed again to honor his end of the deal. I'm thoroughly confused and frustrated because I'm 1382 miles away and there is nothing I can do at this point. So $800.00 to the shipper and he leaves with an empty trailer. Now I'm not sure where to turn. Step1: I try to work with Ebay. Unfortunately with the shippers schedule, and the amount of time it took for this all to occur, we've exceeded there statute of limitations on time-frame. They suggest taking it up with my credit-card company since I paid with a Master-Card. VERY face-less company when it comes to contacting.
Now, here we are early September and this is the cracking point for me. I get a E-mail from my best friend with an ebay auction listing number. !!!GUESS WHATS RELISTED BACK ON EBAY!!! Now I'm pissed He states in the listing hes re-listing due to a dead-beat bidder! I paid in FULL, I tried three times at the toon of 800 bucks to pick the boat up! How dead-beat can that be! So I send him an E-mail saying WTF in the nicest way possible. I get no response, but within hours, the listing is canceled, and his username and account is canceled from ebay. 10 bucks says he's still on ebay, but under a new account.
So beyond the ranting here, I'm looking for any advise you guys on here can give me. Anyone from that area know this place, or this guy? Anyone ever been through this type of situation? My shipper says the place looks like a dump. Any advise or help in the matter at all would be REALLY appreciated! I've got 3500.00 sank into this deal now, and nothing but a story to show for it.
BTW: Here's the address in case anyone lives near here-
Boatland Collision Center
1021 N Tamiami Trl
N. Ft. Myers, FL
33903-5325
(239)656-1234

Owners name is: Thomas Dietrich
(239)878-8709

Thanks, Nick
Old 12-06-2007, 04:22 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The sale on ebay is a binding contract. I believe I would ask a lawyer to see if it is worth your time or money to persue. Good Luck.
Old 12-06-2007, 06:18 AM
Steve_H

call the Ft. Myers police. i had a problem getting the title to a truck i bought on ebay a few years ago. the local police paid a visit to the seller and i had the title the next day.

Old 12-06-2007, 07:46 AM
Registered

If you can't get on a plane and come down here, I'd start calling every TV station in town and talk to them. They just love this stuff.

Here's a few links:

http://www.fox4florida.com/Global/ca...av=menu563_3_1

http://www.winknews.com/features/action

http://www.nbc2investigators.com/
Old 12-06-2007, 08:04 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You need to contact your card company's chargeback department and file a claim in writing. You have rights under federal laws and one of those is that you are not required to make payment on any unresolved transaction dispute. Then, the burden is on the seller to prove your dispute is baseless.

LESSON TO ALL CC HOLDERS- That cheap rate and that jump around for those zero interst for x months bites you here. My cards are with the bank that I do amm my business with . If I have a problem, my guy at he local branch deals with it. Never a question- it's always an automatic, instant credit.
Old 12-06-2007, 08:04 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That's not too far from me. I can swing by at the end of the day and see what the place looks like.
Do you want to me see if the boat is there or try and talk to the guy?

Terry
Old 12-06-2007, 08:05 AM
Registered

Definately take the above advice and go down there yourself and/or contact the local police. Do you still have the credit card bill with that transaction on it or can you get one to prove you paid him for it? Also, keep this post on the first page her for a day or two and someone on here will see it who is close to this jackass and will help you out, even if its just to go by the place and see if the boat is still in the lot. Another thing to do is see if you can find someone from here to help you and have them try and contact him to look at it as if they are interested in buying it and once they are face to face have them confront him as if they (OSO Friend) and you are very close friends. One way or another you should be able to get your boat or money. Good luck to you man.
Brandon
Old 12-06-2007, 08:06 AM
Registered

Terry, you just posted the same time I did but maybe you can do what I suggested in my above post.
Old 12-06-2007, 09:46 AM
Registered

I'd follow the advice Chris already posted. As for the $800 spent on non-deliverable shipping charges... go to small claims court in N. Ft. Myers, FL if your conscience won't allow you to let it go without a fight.

Originally Posted by Chris Sunkin
You need to contact your card company's chargeback department and file a claim in writing. You have rights under federal laws and one of those is that you are not required to make payment on any unresolved transaction dispute. Then, the burden is on the seller to prove your dispute is baseless.
Old 12-06-2007, 10:23 AM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hey SPAZ too many Dick heads out there but dont let him get away with it .. U need to head down there not to the boat yard but to his Home .Plan on camping out there for a bit and have your reciepts ,and copy the paypal chit , cauz the puzzy will call the police on u. i Had a guy in Cali bought a xr drive wanted shipping on his account thru ups ,i suggested on a pallet in a crate .upon him recieving drive damaged then reversed the credit card charges and would'nt even send my drive back to me even if i paid return shipping .Send bax global to pick it up and he would'nt give it back.he wanted to keep the drive for free and get the check from ups also .Jumped on a plane showed up at his doorstep with 2 buddys right out of the sapranos .he called police and with reciepts ,paper work and proved he was an A hole we all went to his shop and got the drive back .Get me a plane ticket and count me in

Last edited by RunninHotRacing163.1; 12-06-2007 at 10:28 AM.

Quick Reply: Bad Boat deal in Fort Myers, FL

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.