Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Lollipops in Daytona has to pay millions... >

Lollipops in Daytona has to pay millions...

Notices

Lollipops in Daytona has to pay millions...

Old 12-09-2007, 09:05 PM
Registered

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by open72
i have no idea, i'm sure it will be appealed though...

didn't brett represent you?(not that it is any of my business)..

and to boatme- i belive people should be compensated for pain and suffering. someone hurts someone and takes apart their ability to enjoy life as we were born(all body parts) someone should pay.

now , do i think sean and darlene should be responsable for that , i don't think so. the female who hit the person should be.

i'm sure brett did the best he could at trial to show the jury his client was not responsable ,but i am not a lawyer , and do not know the laws in the state of florida.

but one does have to wonder if the trial was by "jury of his peers"...

Mike Alweiss was my lawyer. I could have sued the pants off the guy that hit me but I would never be able to collect the money I was told. I am not so sure Lollipops should be held accountable for this stripper drinking on the job. If she snuck the drinks and did not appear to be drunk how are they responsable? She should be responsable for her actions as she was an adult.

BoatMe, I do not want to argue this with you either and I understand your opinon and I do not wish what happened to me on anyone no matter their feelings towards me...it is no fun to live life the way I have to live it....on the other hand I do have a lot to still live for....so the world continues with or with out me and I still want to be a part of it...as of right now...somedays I do not feel this way. Oh well....
Old 12-09-2007, 09:17 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mike you have my respect for pulling through this as well as every member of OSO.Any one can get up every morning when things are going great,but it takes a real man to get up when they have not turned out as planned
Old 12-09-2007, 09:36 PM
Registered

Received 293 Likes on 107 Posts

i don't see how the bar is held accoutable...hopefully our OSO legal team can explain ... we have what 2 or 3 dozen lawyers on here?

fever mike- knew it was someone that raced boats that represented you...
Old 12-09-2007, 10:44 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by FeverMike
I am not so sure Lollipops should be held accountable for this stripper drinking on the job. If she snuck the drinks and did not appear to be drunk how are they responsable? She should be responsable for her actions as she was an adult.
Exactly
Old 12-10-2007, 06:04 AM
Registered

Sorry for such a long delay... It has been a rough weekend. I still am in shock after the verdict. The facts were so far in our favor that it is inconceivable to have lost.

The deal is this:
The young girl was never a dancer at the club, her friend was. The driver had been in town for 2 days and even after the accident told the officer she was unemployed, which he wrote on the police report. Our witnesses testified that we searched employment records and not a trace of her.

More importantly is that the law required her to be intoxicated at the time of the accident. She was initially charged with leaving the scene and fleeing and elluding because the officer that caught her administered field sobriety test, twice. He testified that she DID NOT have any indications of impairment, not even a smell of liquor... NOTHING. The only testimony about intoxication was hers 5 years and 2 months after the accident for the first time. She had been to court and plead to the criminal charges and told the judge on the record "I was not drinking and alchohol was not involved". It wasnt until this past May that she changed her story after being offered to be dismissed from the suit. The day after her depo she was dropped. Bought testimony.

The jury absolutely ignored the jury instructions, ignored the facts and hammered the club, period. They even had the nerve to glare at us as they left the court room and walk over to the plaintiff and shake his hand congratulating him and saying good luck. It was like he just hit the lottery.

Things like this make you question the integrity of the process.
Old 12-10-2007, 06:21 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by dhlaw
It was like he just hit the lottery.
The above statement says it all

Buy a lottery ticket at 7/11 and you have a 1 in 10,000,000 chance of getting a big payout

Slip and fall at the 7/11 and you have a 1 in 3 chance of a big payout

Brett sorry to hear how this all went down

I am assuming you will be appealing ????

Could you have gotten a trial with the just the judge and not a jury ??? Or is that imposable with these kind of cases?

Do you think that would have changed the outcome ?

Seems sympathetic jurors are half the problem

We need profesional jurors not amateurs off the street (Jury of our peers Ha ha - I dont think so)
Old 12-10-2007, 06:23 AM
Registered

Received 293 Likes on 107 Posts

you do plan to appeal?
Old 12-10-2007, 06:43 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by open72
you do plan to appeal?
Yes, but you still have to post a bond to stay the collection proceedings. Its just a PIA.
Old 12-10-2007, 06:58 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

That's so messed up! I'm shocked at the verdict. How in the heck is the club involved in any way?! All fault should be with the driver, not the club! What a crock of sht!
Old 12-10-2007, 07:17 AM
Registered
Platinum Member

Mike you should post some pics of your injuries and show the board why your're the toughest MF on here!

Quick Reply: Lollipops in Daytona has to pay millions...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.