Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   VHF Antenna location? (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/174991-vhf-antenna-location.html)

Z06 12-09-2007 12:46 PM

VHF Antenna location?

Has anyone tried mounting their VHF antenna vertical on the inside of the boat over on the port side away from the helm and other electronics? I'm considering a permanent mount Icom VHF radio but I don't really want to mount a 8' fiberglass antenna on the outside. I was thinking of trying a 3' whip antenna mounted vertical so the it is at the highest point inside the boat hidden over on the port side. I think I remember reading on here that someone has this arrangement on a Cigarette. The easier choice would be a handheld but I like the idea of always knowing where the radio is and it's always charged.

Thanks

Rcrapsey 12-09-2007 03:37 PM

I have mine velcroed on the port side behind the bench seat.
It works great and if i ever needed to get better reception i simply unvelcro it and bring it outside. No unsitely antenna on the outside of the boat.

509 SC 12-09-2007 05:49 PM

ZO6, For what's worth I mounted my radio in the panel over the port in-dash cooler and mounted a 4' antenna on the starboard gunwale on my 26' Sonic. I really don't like the location Sonic mounts the radio by the cabin door(even though your question is in regard to antenna location) Steve

Z06 12-10-2007 12:00 PM

Originally Posted by Rcrapsey (Post 2365237)
I have mine velcroed on the port side behind the bench seat.
It works great and if i ever needed to get better reception i simply unvelcro it and bring it outside. No unsitely antenna on the outside of the boat.

Rcrapsey, that's a great idea to mount it in a remote location where if needed it can be moved to a higher location & it works for you. This is just what I was looking for, I like it. Thank you :D

Originally Posted by 509 SC (Post 2365359)
ZO6, For what's worth I mounted my radio in the panel over the port in-dash cooler and mounted a 4' antenna on the starboard gunwale on my 26' Sonic. I really don't like the location Sonic mounts the radio by the cabin door(even though your question is in regard to antenna location) Steve

Steve, the radio mounting is a good point. I had thought I would mount it where sonic does but I hate cutting a hole in perfectly good fiberglass. I'll start another thread in the sonic forum.

US1 Fountain 12-10-2007 03:51 PM

I made a small mount that is almost undetectable, that mounts to the side of my rear railing. The base sits below the railing so it doesn't rub thru the cover. The antenna is stored in the engine compartment. Takes just a second to slip it in the holder whenever I need it.

US1 Fountain 12-10-2007 03:55 PM

anutter view

Z06 12-10-2007 04:48 PM

Very nice US1 Fountain! You may have a market for that bracket right here on OSO. You could also try velcroing the antenna in a vertical position in the bilge like Rcrapsey does above & you may not need to pull it out as often.

Rcrapsey 12-12-2007 04:51 PM

Originally Posted by Z06 (Post 2366217)
Rcrapsey, that's a great idea to mount it in a remote location where if needed it can be moved to a higher location & it works for you. This is just what I was looking for, I like it. Thank you :D

Steve, the radio mounting is a good point. I had thought I would mount it where sonic does but I hate cutting a hole in perfectly good fiberglass. I'll start another thread in the sonic forum.

I use the ram unit from Standard the main black box w/ all the radio stuff is located in the cabin behind cabinet doors and just the hand mic is mounted at the cockpit. Very clean and works great .