Another one bites the dust!

Old 12-02-2007, 07:50 PM
Registered

Received 881 Likes on 478 Posts
Default Another one bites the dust!

By GRETEL SARMIENTO

Palm Beach Post Staff Writer

Sunday, December 02, 2007

HIGHLAND BEACH — Chris Otis and friends were out sitting on lawn chairs Sunday, having a cup, when from his home on Pelican Way, Delray Beach he noticed a "noisy cigarette boat coming up 30 miles an hour." "All of the sudden the boat took a right hand turn and it drove right into the seawall and broke apart. The top of the boat separated from the bottom," Otis said.

Delray Beach Firefighters are working the scene of the boat accident near 2921 South Ocean Blvd. that might involve one trauma alert and two other people injured. The accident was reported around noon. Otis and friends noticed the boat because of his flashing colors he said.

"It wasn't going excessively fast."
Old 12-02-2007, 07:58 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

It's always a "cigarette boat".

Some guy at he gas station asked me the other day who made the boat- I said "Cigarette". He said "yeah, I know what it is, but who made it?" I said "Cigarette". He said "What?" I left.
Old 12-02-2007, 08:10 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

10 years ago this week this accident occured. Does anyone know anything about this one?
http://www.sun-sentinel.com/news/loc...,3691005.story
Old 12-02-2007, 08:24 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by rbr2328
10 years ago this week this accident occured. Does anyone know anything about this one?
http://www.sun-sentinel.com/news/loc...,3691005.story
search for the thread, 10 year annivesary of a bad day boating.

Short story: Rich guy leaves Shooters in a 39 Sonic and roars up the ICW in the dark and spears a 31 Tiara killing all 6 aboard and injuring himself/girlfriend in the process. Got an 85 year sentence and it was recently reduced to 50 years. Guy will be 116 when he gets out.
Old 12-02-2007, 09:00 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Got it, missed that thread.
Old 12-03-2007, 06:37 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When we were heading south thru Boca yesterday, 2 boca cop boats hauled azz going north, followed by a fish & wildlife boat, we had just spent quite some time in that area trying to fix my boat, but then returned to delray, and put it back on the trailer, I jumped on Andrews boat, and rode south with him, there were a bunch of waverunners in the area, jumping wakes, about 5 minutes later we saw the cops, figured one of the waverunners screwed up, but guess I know now where they were heading.
Old 12-03-2007, 07:00 AM
Registered

It was a Concept 30, maybe the new closed deck stepped hull boat? Funny how the witnesses said it was loud with Verados?

Monday, December 03, 2007

HIGHLAND BEACH — Three adults were injured when the boat they were in hit a sea wall in the Intracoastal Waterway Sunday morning.

A female with serious injuries was transported to Delray Medical Center along with two males who sustained injuries that weren't life threatening, said Russell Accardi, a battalion chief for Delray Beach Fire-Rescue, which investigated.

The accident happened near 2921 S. Ocean Blvd. When firefighters responded to the 11:53 a.m. call, water inside the boat was above knee level. Firefighters used ropes and special pumps to prevent the 30-foot boat from sinking. That was not easy because a hole underneath the front of the boat was letting water back in fast, Accardi said.

The high-performance Concept 30 boat appears to have been traveling fast when it hit the sea wall, sending pieces of its fiber hull flying. It kept going until it hit a wooden dock. The impact snapped the two outboard engines off the stern, sending them into the water, Accardi said.

Chris J. Otis and some friends were sitting on lawn chairs at his home on Pelican Way in Delray Beach when he saw a "noisy cigarette boat" traveling about 30 mph.

"All of the sudden the boat took a right-hand turn and it drove right into the sea wall and broke apart. The top of the boat separated from the bottom," Otis said.

Otis and friends noticed the boat because of its flashy colors, he said.

Officials with the Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission are investigating.
Old 12-03-2007, 07:04 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris Sunkin

Some guy at he gas station asked me the other day who made the boat- I said "Cigarette". He said "yeah, I know what it is, but who made it?" I said "Cigarette". He said "What?" I left.
I had someone ask me at the gas dock last year if my Stinger was one of them there cigarette boats. I told them no, mine was real quiet, so it was a cigar boat. The guy just gave me a screwy look and said oh, okay, I didn't know the difference. Laughed my azz off all the way out of the idle zone. Thought my son was going to fall out of the boat laughing. Should have told him it was a Chris Craft so that makes it a cabin cruiser
Old 12-03-2007, 10:48 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Chris Sunkin

Funny. I've seen lots of Cigarette pride in the fact that performance boats are referred to as "cigarette boats" in general due to their outstanding history and reptuation in this industry. Seems kinda arrogant of you considering that most of the general public don't have much or any knowledge of performance boats and this guy was probably impressed by your boat. But maybe I'm misinterpreting.
Old 12-03-2007, 12:01 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Keytime
Funny. I've seen lots of Cigarette pride in the fact that performance boats are referred to as "cigarette boats" in general due to their outstanding history and reptuation in this industry. Seems kinda arrogant of you considering that most of the general public don't have much or any knowledge of performance boats and this guy was probably impressed by your boat. But maybe I'm misinterpreting.
To me it gets old because a lot of times you get stuck with the stereotype of having a Cigarette - loud and obnoxious by people who don't know better (look at the quote in the article above). I usually tell them that it's a brand name politely and keep walking. I have a Checkmate with a single OB that gets called a Cig all the time. Now, Thrill on the other hand, if you can find 5 square inches on his Cig SS that DOESN'T say "Cigarette", I'll buy you dinner

Quick Reply: Another one bites the dust!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.