Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   FAA Flight Physicals (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/175089-faa-flight-physicals.html)

RedDog382 12-10-2007 05:59 PM

FAA Flight Physicals

Thinking of looking into becoming certified to perform FAA flight physicals for a source of extra income when I move to Las Vegas. It takes a week of special training in Oklahoma City to become certified. Just wondering if the compensation would be worth the investment.

Can any pilots here tell me what they pay for flight physicals?

heavyhauler 12-10-2007 06:12 PM

Originally Posted by RedDog382 (Post 2366694)
Thinking of looking into becoming certified to perform FAA flight physicals for a source of extra income when I move to Las Vegas.

I pay $100.00 for a 3rd class in Myrtle Beach, SC, but the doctor is a pilot who's been doing them for years.

Sydwayz 12-10-2007 06:32 PM

My sister said anywhere between $70 and $100 for under 40 year old. Over 40 years old requires a EKG, which means more money. She's a 30 year old F.O. for SouthWest.

She said they just opened a SouthWest base in Las Vegas. She said if you can get something to advertise yourself up in the crew rooms at the airports, that would be good. According to her, most good (read hassle-free) Doctors spread through word of mouth. Also, once a pilot finds someone they like, they tend to stick with them for life, even if not living in the same locale, (remember, its easy for them to get to you, even if they don't live local).

26ZX Donzi 12-10-2007 06:45 PM

I think we now pay $90 like mentioned without the EKG. I am an Air Traffic Controller at ORD and our MD rents out space at the airport from Univ Ill Med Center two days per week. Nothing like bringing it right to the clients.

Tim

jafo 12-10-2007 06:58 PM

I believe my last one was $135 (for first class) included the EKG since I'm an old fart. That was from a Chicago MD I know quite well that serves many clients at Chicago Exec

mrhorsepower1 12-10-2007 07:49 PM

I just had mine last week. $100.00 total. , but I'm flying a Pro Stocker. We have to take them for professional drag race classes.:D

outriggers 12-10-2007 10:31 PM

The Doc I go to I think all he does is FAA medicals. He doesn't have to deal with insurance companys. I think the paper work can be a pain until you figure it out. I have to go every 6 months for a 1st class ,EKG once a year till a certain age. Most guys have a regular Dr. also for other stuff. When you fly for a living these medicals take on a whole different light. $80 $115 EKG Doug

Semper Fi 12-10-2007 10:41 PM

Originally Posted by RedDog382 (Post 2366694)
Thinking of looking into becoming certified to perform FAA flight physicals for a source of extra income when I move to Las Vegas. It takes a week of special training in Oklahoma City to become certified. Just wondering if the compensation would be worth the investment.

My friend Ken is a pilot in Las Vegas.........I'll PM you his contact info.

P.S.--I still have the house in Vegas for sale!!! (cheap!!)

Reagrds,
Gerard

Zudnic 12-10-2007 10:54 PM

Originally Posted by outriggers (Post 2367050)
The Doc I go to I think all he does is FAA medicals. He doesn't have to deal with insurance companys. I think the paper work can be a pain until you figure it out. I have to go every 6 months for a 1st class ,EKG once a year till a certain age. Most guys have a regular Dr. also for other stuff. When you fly for a living these medicals take on a whole different light. $80 $115 EKG Doug

I don't bother with health insurance, neither do my parents. We discussed this the other day and noticed as cash payers Dr's give us a discount vs what they would charge insurance.

Not sure about the U.S. Since my parents primary residence is in Canada, my Dad's pilot's license is Canadian. In Canada over 40 you must do the medical every year. Not 100% but believe its the same in the USA...........

IDRPSTF 12-10-2007 10:58 PM

I paid $130 in Havasu for a first class.