Notices

First Boat- Saying hi

Old 12-16-2007, 06:54 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ToTheMax
On top of everything that was mentioned already your fuel economy may actually be worse with the smaller engines. Small blocks with a big load are sometimes worse than big blocks with comparatively lighter loads when it comes to fuel consumption. A boat like that would definitely perform well with the 496HOs and will be more reliable in the process. Welcome to OSO!
I didn't know that.. Another reason to get the larger engines
Old 12-16-2007, 06:54 PM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts

First thought:

What are you primarily planning to do with this boat?
Take the family out for day trips?
300 mile roundtrips over the weekend, staying on the boat?
Poker Runs?

Second thought:

If you are buying the 310SS, get the 496HOs. You can't have too much HP. New Formulas come with a factory 5 year warranty. If you are only keeping it 3 years or so, anything that goes wrong in that engine compartment is their problem; not yours. The only thing you will be responsible for is impellers, oil changes, and spark plugs, as long as you don't screw anything up.

Third thought:

If you can swing the bigger boat (payment, insurance, fuel, logistics) now, do it now. You are going to be ready for an upgrade before you know it. Four-foot-itis sets in quickly, and its a tough one to shake. Seriously, if you can handle it, don't be intimidated by the bigger boat. It only takes a little while to get the hang of your new boat.

Last edited by Sydwayz; 12-16-2007 at 07:02 PM.
Old 12-16-2007, 07:01 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Sydwayz
First thought...

If you are buying the 310SS, get the 496HOs. You can't have too much HP. New Formulas come with a factory 5 year warranty. If you are only keeping it 3 years or so, anything that goes wrong in that engine compartment is their problem; not yours. The only thing you will be responsible for is impellers, oil changes, and spark plugs, as long as you don't screw anything up.

Second thought:

If you can swing the bigger boat (payment, insurance, fuel, logistics) now, do it now. You are going to be ready for an upgrade before you know it. Four-foot-itis sets in quickly, and its a tough one to shake. Seriously, if you can handle it, don't be intimidated by the bigger boat. It only takes a little while to get the hang of your new boat.
First, I like your name. I was going to get a license plate for my car with that name

And secondly, this is exactly what I wanted to hear. Get the bigger boat now!!! And the wife actually agrees with me on this as well.
Old 12-16-2007, 07:12 PM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts

I had another first thought.
Old 12-16-2007, 07:18 PM
Registered

I had another first thought.

Let me guess.....Active Thunder?
Old 12-16-2007, 07:22 PM
Registered

Did the dealer point out that the 496's aren't even an option on the 310? That's why I recommended the 330 with them and the new drive system on your other thread.
Old 12-16-2007, 07:30 PM
(aka) Pure Adrenaline
Platinum Member

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post

Good luck with your choice. Formula is in Decatur Indiana about 30 minute from me and I have been through the factory twice. You should call for a tour and check out the plant. Even go through when your boat is being built. They have a live well inside the plant were the boats are run and everthing is checked out. First class outfit, everyone is very helpful and even the production people you can tell are glad to be part of it. Well worth the time to see it.
Instead of hiring a capt you might want to check out this guy. I think a few around here might have heard of him. lol Going through one of his classes might help out alot.
http://www.performanceboatschool.com/home.php

Good luck and enjoy, Doug
Old 12-16-2007, 07:34 PM
Registered

First thought:

What are you primarily planning to do with this boat?
Take the family out for day trips?
300 mile roundtrips over the weekend, staying on the boat?
Poker Runs?
We will not be sleeping on the boat. It will be a weekend boat at my shore house. And we will probably do just 5 mile trips on average. Occasionally, I would like to have the boat delivered to areas around Long Island for a few days.

Last edited by cmcjo; 12-16-2007 at 07:37 PM.
Old 12-16-2007, 07:36 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by ImaPoser
Did the dealer point out that the 496's aren't even an option on the 310? That's why I recommended the 330 with them and the new drive system on your other thread.
He wasn't sure at first but then told me you can get the 496 engines in the 310 but they are a real tight fit and not reccomended. The 330 is the older style and I like the updated curved look to the 310 and 350. THANKS
Old 12-16-2007, 08:17 PM
Registered

I'd go for the 350 with diesel power

Quick Reply: First Boat- Saying hi

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.