Notices

First Boat- Saying hi

Old 12-16-2007, 08:25 PM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts

Originally Posted by cmcjo
We will not be sleeping on the boat. It will be a weekend boat at my shore house. And we will probably do just 5 mile trips on average. Occasionally, I would like to have the boat delivered to areas around Long Island for a few days.
Did you look at the Fas3Tech line of Formulas? 353? 382? Other comparable boats?
Old 12-16-2007, 08:47 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Sydwayz
Did you look at the Fas3Tech line of Formulas? 353? 382? Other comparable boats?
I looked at Sea-ray boats but Formula seems to be a little better built from what I saw and also what I read.
As far as the fastech line, I wanted more of a family cruiser. The wife will never go for the racing type boats. She doesnt mind the fast cars but a boat is a different story.
THANKS
Old 12-16-2007, 09:03 PM
Registered

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

QUOTE=cmcjo;2374199]I looked at Sea-ray boats but Formula seems to be a little better built from what I saw and also what I read.
As far as the fastech line, I wanted more of a family cruiser. The wife will never go for the racing type boats. She doesnt mind the fast cars but a boat is a different story.
THANKS[/QUOTE]

Don't show this to your wife. Take her for wild run, she will change her mind once she gets above 70.. They all do and then they want even faster. Besides the 353 is very nice and roomy. (it's on my list)
One more advise.. Take every ones comments with an open mind, but when it's all done. . buy the boat that YOU want. Not one that the neighbor likes, the dealer want to sell, not the one that keeps up with the Jone's. Buy what you want..
(now.. if I could only listen to my advise.. I bought one by now.)
Old 12-16-2007, 09:15 PM
Registered

Received 14 Likes on 6 Posts

I think you are smart to start with the bigger boat. My 36' Apache is my first boat. I have been around boats all my life and I knew that I wouldn't be happy if I got anything smaller.

Take your time at first and you will figure your boat out just fine. When I got mine I practiced parking at closed establishments to get a hang of it. Much better Idea then trying to learn how to park at a busy restaurant on a windy day.

It sounds like you are set on buying new, but I will echo the fact that you are gonna lose your a** on the depreciation.

Good luck and welcome to OSO
Old 12-17-2007, 05:24 AM
Registered

If you have been around boats all your life, and you are starting with a new 310ss, then you already know that you suck. Kidding of course.
I started with a bleach bottle raft and had to work up to a 1979 Nova 210.

I think that the boat you have chosen is a very sweet boat.

Good luck with the new ride, welcome to OSO.
Old 12-17-2007, 06:34 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by PARADOX
QUOTE=cmcjo;2374199]
Don't show this to your wife. Take her for wild run, she will change her mind once she gets above 70.. They all do and then they want even faster. Besides the 353 is very nice and roomy. (it's on my list)
Maybe if I can get her to climb into one I can convince her. My neighbor just bought a new Fountain 47 lightning and she just thinks its annoying. I think its the greatest thing though.

Originally Posted by baywatch
I think you are smart to start with the bigger boat. My 36' Apache is my first boat. I have been around boats all my life and I knew that I wouldn't be happy if I got anything smaller.

Take your time at first and you will figure your boat out just fine. When I got mine I practiced parking at closed establishments to get a hang of it. Much better Idea then trying to learn how to park at a busy restaurant on a windy day.

It sounds like you are set on buying new, but I will echo the fact that you are gonna lose your a** on the depreciation.

Good luck and welcome to OSO
Thanks. Yeah I know I would want a bigger better faster boat while still in the first season. That is why I think over 30 is the way to go. I am also looking at changing to the 350SS with that new Axius system for easier docking and close manuvering.

Originally Posted by fund razor
If you have been around boats all your life, and you are starting with a new 310ss, then you already know that you suck. Kidding of course.
I started with a bleach bottle raft and had to work up to a 1979 Nova 210.

I think that the boat you have chosen is a very sweet boat.

Good luck with the new ride, welcome to OSO.
Thanks man!
Old 12-17-2007, 06:45 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 84 Likes on 31 Posts

Welcome to OSO!
I have been boating on Barnegat Bay for a long time and can tell you bigger is better. The bay gets real snotty and you (and your wife) will appreciate the extra length (No pun intended!). Also, the 496's are the way to go for better performance, mpg cruising, and resale. Good luck with the new boat and I will see you on the bay come spring time.
Also, check out NJPPC.com. We have a great club and do alot of cool events through the year.
Old 12-17-2007, 07:35 AM
Registered

As others have said... buy the biggest boat you can afford.

I don't know much about that specific boat, but it sounds like 496's are the way to go. I'd call the manufacturer though, and ask specifically what are the differences in top speed and time to plane between the two options, and what is the difference in expected fuel usage. Modern small blocks are no slouches, the HP and torque differences may not be all that much, and the small blocks will be lighter. There may be not much to gain with the big blocks, I know there are a number of boats that I would prefer to run with twin small blocks over big blocks.

mercruiser says the 6.2 has 320 hp and weighs 993 lbs with a bravo 1, and the 496 has 375 hp or 425 hp for the HO, and weighs 1199 lbs. The 496's in that boat will probably be a better bet anyway, but i'd still ask the mfg'r for performance numbers.

http://www.formulaboats.com/models/1126911-prices.aspx

they don't list 496's on the menu for this boat, though. Maybe the dealer is right, maybe they don't fit.

Last edited by sleeper_dave; 12-17-2007 at 07:39 AM.
Old 12-17-2007, 07:47 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by drstevethiele
I'd go for the 350 with diesel power
Mmmm, now we are talking.
Old 12-17-2007, 07:49 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Welcome, post away, good luck w/ your new boat! Wrink

Quick Reply: First Boat- Saying hi

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.