Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Intercom Systems (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/175574-intercom-systems.html)

Ca$hed Out 12-16-2007 08:34 PM

Intercom Systems

I'm looking for something simple - basic hi-speed headset/mic combo that will allow communication during Poker Runs. Are there decent systems out there that are not terribly expensive? Thanks in advance...

Vinny P 12-16-2007 09:47 PM

I use a set up from Revolution marine. they are a basic set, no radio or cell phone interface, just a way of communicating with others on board. I didnt like the throat mic so I got regular mics on stems.
The problem I had with them was extreme wind noise. At first I thought they sucked. Then I took off the wind sock to take a look at the mic. I couldnt believe my eyes!! The mic had holes to allow sound in, not only facing your mouth but facing forward, into the wind. WTF!! A small piece of electrical tape over the holes fixed the problem. I dont know what the hell they were thinking

hpoffshore 12-17-2007 08:59 AM

Met a guy @ Ft. Lauderdale selling these...

www.tufftronix.com

Com only; but very simple and very clear, I tried 'em out...look, Ma... no wires!

Ca$hed Out 12-17-2007 07:11 PM

Originally Posted by hpoffshore
Met a guy @ Ft. Lauderdale selling these...

www.tufftronix.com

Com only; but very simple and very clear, I tried 'em out...look, Ma... no wires!

Thanks a lot for that...com only is all I want and these look pretty simple. Do you remember the price by any chance? Also, does it only support 2 headsets or is it expandable?

hpoffshore 12-18-2007 09:42 AM

With the correct control unit, I think it will support more people than you can put in most of our boats. I know that using just two units, they bluetooth directly together w/ no added hardware. Sound quality was clear & there was noise-cancelling feature. Can't remember what the guy said re: pricing...but I remember thinking that it seemed very reasonable compared to the hard-wired setups. They can also personalize/ monogram/boat-name them for you.

Enforcer2 12-18-2007 10:52 PM

There's another company out there that appeared reasonable and they do a lot of military and police installs.

Saw em at Anapolis and Jersey Show.

Piratecom 717-799-5050

www.piratecom.com

Oley PA

Wardey 12-19-2007 06:51 AM

I use Race Comm. in the pleasure boat and we used Radio Lab in the race boat. Both good systems. I have the stereo playing through the headsets on the pleasure boat. Dave

The Menace 12-19-2007 10:27 AM

I have Tiger Performance. Works very well. The head sets are secure, comfortable and quiet. The two front seats over ride all conversations in the rear seats. Rear seats have to push a button to speak but can hear everything. XM radio is received through the Garmin 496. Any conversation voices over the XM.

http://www.tigerperformance.com/

I use Bose in the plane, however they claim not to offer a product for marine use. The Bose noise cancelling feature is superior.

Sydwayz 12-19-2007 10:52 AM

Originally Posted by Ca$hed Out (Post 2374186)
I'm looking for something simple - basic hi-speed headset/mic combo that will allow communication during Poker Runs. Are there decent systems out there that are not terribly expensive? Thanks in advance...

That thing only runs 42mph. That's not that much wind to talk over. :ernaehrung004:

Enforcer2 12-19-2007 06:10 PM

Originally Posted by Sydwayz (Post 2377218)
That thing only runs 42mph. That's not that much wind to talk over. :ernaehrung004:

:eek:that's just wrong.

Do you guys know of a system that plays music through stereo headphones and not mono. ( Another words I know intecoms systems can monitor vhf, person to peron and radio but can you listen to the radio in stereo?)

Apparently all of the headsets I have reads about do not have stereo sound. From what I understand it's due to the two way person to person.