Notices

Dual Function Controls

Old 12-20-2007, 03:11 PM
rjr
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Dual Function Controls

This is sort of an idle question, but it's winter

I was driving a friends express cruiser not to long ago and enjoyed the benefit of his dual function control. That is the Transmission and throttle were on the same handle. Pull back for reverse, forward for forward. They were not as smooth as the controls on my Formula 382, and there was less throw for fine tuning. But those issues could be overcome. I am wondering why there are NO performance boats rigged that way.

rjr
Old 12-20-2007, 04:04 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would think the main reason why is when you are in big water and getting air it's a lot easier to pull the all the way back and not have to stop before you jam it into rev.
Old 12-21-2007, 07:46 AM
Registered

Received 742 Likes on 400 Posts

Originally Posted by rjr
This is sort of an idle question, but it's winter

I was driving a friends express cruiser not to long ago and enjoyed the benefit of his dual function control. That is the Transmission and throttle were on the same handle. Pull back for reverse, forward for forward. They were not as smooth as the controls on my Formula 382, and there was less throw for fine tuning. But those issues could be overcome. I am wondering why there are NO performance boats rigged that way.

rjr
I'm going the opposite direction and am rigging my boat with a single control to have separate shifter/throttle levers.
Old 12-21-2007, 08:00 AM
Registered

Received 14 Likes on 6 Posts

I think it is easier to park with them seperate. All you have to really worry about is forward, neutral and reverse. No throttle unless it's really windy.
Old 12-21-2007, 08:42 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by LapseofReason
I would think the main reason why is when you are in big water and getting air it's a lot easier to pull the all the way back and not have to stop before you jam it into rev.
I would think the same thing...though i like docking this way as stated also.
Old 12-21-2007, 08:53 AM
Registered

I like the whole two sets of controls from a tech standpoint - I've sold 3 or 4 drives/repairs due to shifting at an above idle RPM. $$$$$

But personally I like the single control per engine - and the new fly by wire stuff is the chit! Smooth as silk!!
Old 12-21-2007, 09:15 AM
Registered

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Dual action controls are generally designed for easy slow speed use. You'll see cruisers, ski boats, sport fishing boats, etc. rigged this way. It is easier to dock for 99% of the people out there. Easier to back down if you are reeling in a big fish, etc.

For high speed though, you really don't want the chance of blowing the tranny/drive pulling back on the sticks.
Old 12-21-2007, 09:20 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 36 Likes on 10 Posts

I love the two sets of controls. I would never own a boat that had them combined. My brother has them combined and its just not as user friendly around the docks. I like to throw them in and out of gear without having to worry how far I throw them.
Old 12-21-2007, 09:42 AM
Registered

Having them combined sucks, in most of the boats i've driven with that problem. Constant issues with adjustment, stalling when shifting, getting too much throttle when trying to just bump it in forward around the docks, etc. They may be great when brand new, but drive a 15 year old boat with a single control, you'll want to rip it out and throw it in the lake.