Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Conventional V-bottom hydronamics question.......... >

Conventional V-bottom hydronamics question..........

Notices

Conventional V-bottom hydronamics question..........

Old 12-21-2007, 10:37 AM
Registered

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Ditto. Good comments, but a few.
A long winded explanation, (no offence intended) for the "suction" comment I made earlier. However. Steps been around for decades, back in the early PT boats. Actually the "hydro foils" originated the idea. Lifting heavy boats out of the water. No question, steps work for the intended design, but one of the reason for diffeernt steps and numbers is Pattents, and the location and size of the steps. The AT steps came from the Challanger Offshore boats by Harry L. Schoell. Singe "huge" step, designed for the Merc. Black Hawks. It was Pattented and Harry designed the AT steps, thus almost the same. Now, to get on the bandwagon, boat designers wanted to add steps to keep up with the marketing need. A builder can't just put a step in an copy some existing steps so new designs and ideas surface. If steps are the greatest thing since sliced bread and the more the better,? (based on some posts and theories) boat bottems would look like a saw blade.
In all reality, you put enough horses behind a log, steps or no steps, that log will outrun any cats, steps of "v" s. (no handling remarks please.. it's an example.) With all the motor options and competative pricing, hull designs is evolving left and right. And I think that's great. While I don't make a judgement what is better, all this gives us boat nuts a wider selection for a boat purchase. However, in my oppinion, all this comes down to personnal preference, compromise and $ to spend. I seen boats, (not HP) with so called "steps".
Looks good. a notch in the hull. (no elevation difference) but it can be "marketed" as a step hull, and the avarage boat buyer may have no clue that it doesn't do anything. (avarage may be a wrong choice of words). Steps cost more, period. New mold, etc. May get away using less horses. Consumers have a great diversity to get a migrane buying a boat. (just like I been taking bottles of Tylenal lately) but I just love it...
Old 12-21-2007, 10:41 AM
A to Z
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

did somebody say sawblade?
Attached Thumbnails Conventional V-bottom hydronamics question..........-p1014764.jpg  
Old 12-21-2007, 10:55 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Sydwayz
Greg,

I'm not on the AT payroll.
I'm not up to anything. Its OK to disagree; but no insinuating is necessary.
Anyone can call up Harry Schoell and ask him about bottom design. He's a nice guy. http://www.schoellmarine.com/
Sorry, I see where you have Active Thunder Factory Rep. on your screen and assumed you were wooking for them in some way. I don't think I was insinuating I just want to know who else uses a single step.
Old 12-21-2007, 11:01 AM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by marylandmark
Welcome Gramp- see you just joined 12/07 and hope to see you around quite often!

Anyway- good post and glad this thread is about to turn to page 3 and still good info being discussed vs a pissing match going on.
I agree. I wanted good, useful information -- not a pissing match. I can happily say that the thread has been very informing.
Old 12-21-2007, 11:01 AM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts

Originally Posted by LapseofReason
Sorry, I see where you have Active Thunder Factory Rep. on your screen and assumed you were wooking for them in some way. I don't think I was insinuating I just want to know who else uses a single step.
I help people get into boats, but I'm not on a payroll.

Cigarette, Outerlimits, Fountain, and others, used single steps in the past, but moved on to other things. They never spent a serious amount of time dialing them in.
AT has chosen to stick with the DDC hull designed by Harry Schoell, and tune it to exactly what the boat AND owner likes/wants/needs.
Old 12-21-2007, 11:10 AM
Registered

Reggie Fountain never spent time working on the shape of his running surface??????????????????!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!
Old 12-21-2007, 11:27 AM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Originally Posted by hpoffshore
Reggie Fountain never spent time working on the shape of his running surface??????????????????!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!
Not really on single step 38+ footers. How long did he keep them; a year? Two?
That is, before moving on to multiple steps... where he has spent a plethora of time dialing in.

Last edited by Sydwayz; 12-21-2007 at 11:31 AM.
Old 12-21-2007, 11:51 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Sydwayz
Not really on single step 38+ footers. How long did he keep them; a year? Two?
That is, before moving on to multiple steps... where he has spent a plethora of time dialing in.
First-off...Time is not quantified in "plethoras"; and Fountain made a 42 single step, not a 38.
Old 12-21-2007, 12:04 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Before this thread makes a wrong turn, I just want to say thus far it has had some very good points brought out and I have enjoyed reading it. Welcome gramp but I have to ask what Velocity you are talking about that has a narrow beam? I have a 280 and the beam on it is 8'2", and the 39 that is so fast with the 700s in it has an 8'3" beam. A 38TS Top Gun has an 8' beam and a 38' fountain has an 8'6" beam, so I would say they are average if anything. Also I'm not sure what Paradox means by the stakes being designed to push the water away from the boat, my 280 has stakes like you drew for example A.
Old 12-21-2007, 12:06 PM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Originally Posted by hpoffshore
First-off...Time is not quantified in "plethoras"; and Fountain made a 42 single step, not a 38.
Originally Posted by mccaffertee
Well, I am guessing that Fountain knows something that the single step guys haven't learned yet.
Thank you very much for the insight gentlemen.

Quick Reply: Conventional V-bottom hydronamics question..........

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.