Decision made Active Thunder/Cigarette >

Decision made Active Thunder/Cigarette

Notices

Decision made Active Thunder/Cigarette

Old 04-06-2002, 05:25 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool Decision made Active Thunder/Cigarette

Several weeks ago, I started a thread asking for thoughts about the two boats I was considering purchasing: 38’ Cigarette, and 37’ Active Thunder. I received a lot of helpful input, and many of you wanted me to keep you abreast of the decision I had made.

During the last few weeks, I have been on many demo rides. The first of which was on 37’ Active Thunder. This was an outstanding ride, complete with 4’-6’ seas. My next ride was on a Cigarette 38’ Top Gun twin step, followed by a Cigarette 36’ Gladiator. To my surprise, I felt the Active Thunders had a better ride, and handling.

I thought, “MY GOD MAN, HOW COULD THIS BE?!” After all, this was the legendary Cigarette. I have owned both Cigarette, and classic Donzis. I was so surprised by this that I began to doubt my previous conclusion about the Active Thunder, and requested another ride from Active Thunder.

I have been boating nearly my whole life. I have delivered sail and motor boats up and down the East Coast for many years. I hold a Coast Guards Masters license. I am not an expert, but I do feel that I have a pretty good knowledge of what type of ride I can expect from various sea conditions. I have no doubt that the Active Thunder will prove outstanding in any seas I care to venture into with a vessel of this size.

Many of you have commented that the rigging, fit and finish not being as quality as Cigarette; however, I have found just the opposite. The older models, in my opinion, were rigged with average equipment at best. A lot of plastic hardware was used, as well as a very basic cabin and cockpit design. The new models (2002) are quite different. The hardware has been upgraded, as well as the cabin and cockpit design. The rigging is top of the line. One of my original requirements was to have a cabin with amenities. Some comments were made that I either wanted an off shore boat, or I didn’t, and that perhaps a Sea Ray would be better. Cigarette appears to be the only company NOT offering such amenities. Outerlimits, Fountain, Powerplay, etc… all offer boats with cabin amenities. This is in no way a dig against Cigarette; they just don’t seem to cater to my needs, as well as others who have the same desires.

Some of you have mentioned that you had purchased an Active Thunder because it was the best boat for the value. Value was not an issue for me. I gladly would have purchased a Cigarette had it filled all my requirements; however, it did not. Those being a 37’-38’ step hull with 500EFI, that would run in the mid to high 80’s, have a great ride, have a cabin with all the amenities, top of the line rigging, and an outstanding fit and finish. Active Thunder met all my requirements.

Thank you all for your input. It was very much appreciated, and critical in my decision. The fact that Pat and Steve paid for breast implants for my girlfriend had absolutely nothing to do with my decision, but that’s another thread.

I look forward to seeing all of you out there. I’ll be the one with the redhead with double D’s.
Old 04-06-2002, 05:49 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well said.

Happy Boating!
Old 04-06-2002, 06:17 PM
Whatdoin

Wow, what is it about these Active Thunders? Good Luck!

Old 04-06-2002, 07:07 PM
Registered

Congrats and glad to see you bought the boat that you felt was the best one, for you. Look forward to watching it's progress on the build. Best of Luck
Old 04-06-2002, 07:08 PM
Registered

Congrats and glad to see you bought the boat that you felt was the best one. As you probably already know I felt the same way. Look forward to watching it's progress on the build. Best of Luck
Old 04-06-2002, 10:47 PM
Thunder Roy

You will be happy! Welcome aboard.

Old 04-06-2002, 11:14 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Congrats on your purchase! Now post some pics
Old 04-06-2002, 11:18 PM
eastcoaster

Baja has all the ammenities....just kiddin!!!!

Great post, good luck with the boat, one question for ya.
Did Cig. and AT spend the time and cater to you personally, was one better than the other at making you feel "family"?
Thanks, interested in the response.

Old 04-06-2002, 11:25 PM
Registered

I don't know man...I still have to see one of these in F-2 to make my mind up.
Sorry...thats just how i feel.
Can you get a 37 with #3s or #6s...I would like to see one with big power in it.
Keep us posted on how she holds up.

Last edited by Back4More; 04-06-2002 at 11:28 PM.
Old 04-06-2002, 11:53 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 30 Likes on 15 Posts

Skypirate, congrats man, good desicion, Im gladd your happy. It will be fun watching your boat being built, you've got to be excited. I know I am, 5 more weeks and I get mine. Hope to see ya at some poker runs before the one at the end of the year with Pat, take care, good luck. Jeff Jassby

Back4more, allways bustin balls, ---- You see people left and right telling you how the boat rides and handles, then they second guess it, why, cause it might be less money and built as good or better (not damning other boats here) so they test drive the competition again, to come back to THUNDER. Like I said before, take a ride, it says it all. The biggest power your going to see on a 37 Thunder right now is K.E. 675s w/Imco extreme SC drives, my boat. A custom shop means you can get whatever you can afford, so sell your Fountain and order a 37 A.T. with sc900 and #6, thats what you want

Last edited by JASSMAN; 04-07-2002 at 08:32 AM.

Quick Reply: Decision made Active Thunder/Cigarette

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.