Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Thinking of getting SCUBA Cert. advise? >

Thinking of getting SCUBA Cert. advise?

Notices

Thinking of getting SCUBA Cert. advise?

Old 12-30-2007, 05:21 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Outstanding advice everyone, thanks and please keep it coming. "nother reason this is the best $$ I spend on "boating" a year.
I went to two places today and spoke to them about the classes, a big outdoor recreational place that does NAUI where the instructor could be various people and a smaller water sports place. I meet the would be instructor at the small water sports place and he seemed kinda annoyed at me asking some technical questions. I am an inquisitive person about things I know little to nothing about (I am a engineer (dork)) so the inner workings of the regulators interested me and either he didn't know or didn't want to tell me (I assume he didn't know). So that guy is out because I totally agree with everyone above said and I can see where the instructor with this type of deal is the bread and butter of the experience.

I am over 30, and certainly have been in better shape so the physical attributes is something I had not considered, I will use that as incentive to taking better care of myself. (win-win)

Paradox, have you dealt with any local shops in the area, since I somewhat close to you?
Old 12-30-2007, 05:42 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The phgysical conditioning thisng can't be over-emphasized. You'll be in an entirely different element and it will be completely unfamiliar to you. Then you're going to be in water that's cooler than you are. The typical sensations that come with exertion are either not there or masked. You'll be astonished at how sore & tired you'll be- and have little memory of exertion. For a guy over 40, this can be a real problem- alot of times you don't realize your in trouble until it's too late.
Old 12-30-2007, 06:15 PM
Registered

physical condition is very important ;
be honest with yourself about your shape, maybe will be good idea work out for some time before you take the course.

mental condition;
people that are under a lot of stress, can develope a lot of fatigue in you with out even notice.(lack of sleeps, poor diet,lack of concentration) and this will work against you.

the INSTRUCTOR is a really important part of your training, is a lot of guys out there with big egos and GOD complex. my best advice find one that work with small group, down to earth, and you can check his reference with the agency that he certify for before you start.

i don't want to sound like i want to scare you , just i been in diving for 30 years and i saw a lot of stuff that wasn't right.

FINALLY NO MATER WHO YOU TAKE THE COURSE OR HOW MUCH ARE YOU GOING TO DIVE BUY A DAN INSURANCE(DIVERS ALLERT NETWORK)IS SOMETHING HAPPEN TO YOU (HERE OR OUTSIDE OF THE COUNTRY) THEY WILL PROVIDE YOU WITH THE BEST MEDICAL CARE.
Old 12-30-2007, 10:02 PM
Registered

great advice so far if i can add my 2cents

getting comfortable with the equipment is paramount , snorkelling helps but that regulator mask combo makes or breaks a budding diver
talking your wife into it is trouble unless she is really interested
if you take the course together let each of you make your own mistakes under the instructors guidance
being in shape and a decent swimmer sure helps, not entirely necessary depending on what you will be doing
get a physical from a doctor who is familiar with diving they will inform you of the pittfalls
take a resort course first to see if you want to go further. they are a great introduction
naui is best padi second
i would highly recommend joining DAN once you start diving
continue taking courses to the advance level and rescue it makes you a better diver
once your certified try different equipment to find what you like, comfort level goes up once you start diving with your own well fitting gear
also true when diving never show advance certification outside of your home area
its a fun sport/hobby and its might be lifelong like it is for me , certified 38 yrs ago and counting