How can  you extend your engines life >

How can you extend your engines life

Notices

How can you extend your engines life

Old 12-30-2007, 02:25 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by MOBILEMERCMAN
Seems to me most failures on production high performance motors are valve and spring or head gasket related. These problems usually occur before the oiled parts are wore out.
Jim we've broke alot of motors, 540s ,580s and its always been broken cranks,cams,rods thru blocks .never tore up springs,valves,or gaskets yet
Old 12-30-2007, 02:29 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was referring to production line engines, not exotic ultra hp. Obviously different.
Old 12-30-2007, 02:32 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Equally were those failures part fatigue or oil related?
Old 12-30-2007, 02:57 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by MOBILEMERCMAN
Equally were those failures part fatigue or oil related?
i will call them all part failures , fatigue with 10,& 20 hours might be premature with rev limiters at 6200
Old 12-30-2007, 04:23 PM
Rob
VIP Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by RunninHotRacing158
Jazz we put it in some hp 500s and started using a quart of oil per motor ever tankfull ,had to rehone with 32 hours

I have heard the same about other name brand additives. I heard this from 2 different engine builders for super stock motors,Knowing these guys customers will spend anything to find 5 hp.So they would of tested them all.

The Only Time You Have To Much Ammo Is When Your Swimming Or On Fire.
Old 12-30-2007, 04:40 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 30 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Strip Poker 388
I have heard the same about other name brand additives. I heard this from 2 different engine builders for super stock motors,Knowing these guys customers will spend anything to find 5 hp.So they would of tested them all.
Which one's Rob, pm me if you dont want to put on here. Ive used Duralube since 04..Just curious.
Old 12-30-2007, 06:12 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

At about the same time that program was airing, a commercial came on so I switched channels and they were dynoing another motor on another automotive show. The first pull it had O'reillys brand of oil, which is probably valvoline or pennzoil or who knows what, and then they changed oil and the second pull they had some other brand of oil, I don't even remember who's now, but it got 6 or 7 more horsepower and a few more pounds of torque with the oil that they were advertising at that moment which supposedly had the magic elixer added that no other oil has. I don't know the right answer, but I've had a fair amount of racing experience over the years (not boats) and I have experienced better performance and engine life with synthetic products.
Old 12-30-2007, 07:11 PM
Rob
VIP Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Jassman
Which one's Rob, pm me if you don't want to put on here. Ive used Duralube since 04..Just curious.
Second hand info But I trust it, Duralube was one that required a rehone on a super stock engine , Now that was 12 years ago

I would not put anything into it until the warranty ran out!!!But hey I'm just a furniture guy

The Only Time You Have To Much Ammo Is When Your Swimming Or On Fire.
Old 12-30-2007, 07:24 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Strip Poker 388
Do any of the motor oil manufactures make any of the oil additives

Why dont they allready put it in there higher grade oils
Yes some do. Valvoline makes a ZDDP additive that I have been using. They reduced the level in the oil since it was causing problems in catalytic converters with older motors with lots of blow by. Redline has much higher levels of moly than other brands as well.
Old 12-30-2007, 07:35 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by heavyhauler
At about the same time that program was airing, a commercial came on so I switched channels and they were dynoing another motor on another automotive show. The first pull it had O'reillys brand of oil, which is probably valvoline or pennzoil or who knows what, and then they changed oil and the second pull they had some other brand of oil, I don't even remember who's now, but it got 6 or 7 more horsepower and a few more pounds of torque with the oil that they were advertising at that moment which supposedly had the magic elixer added that no other oil has. I don't know the right answer, but I've had a fair amount of racing experience over the years (not boats) and I have experienced better performance and engine life with synthetic products.
Have seen our 580 cubic inch on the dyno with just a oil change with Torco and seen 9 Hp gain & cooler oil temps . For 8.00 bucks a qt and 32 qts a whack and we change every 10 hours did feel was worth it .Easier with NOS if need the extra ponies

Quick Reply: How can you extend your engines life

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.