where did the baja hulls come from?? >

where did the baja hulls come from??

Notices

where did the baja hulls come from??

Old 01-03-2008, 04:52 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by T2x
In fact, with todays drives, engines, composite materials and props, a properly scaled up version of that 1966 Allison design would run as fast or faster than any offshore vee hull today.

T2x
If you look at the bottom of a Velocity, especially the old 30 (new 322) IMHO that's exactly what you'll see. That's not in any way a slight on Steve's adaptation of the design and like you said, he has no qualms crediting Allison with his inspiration.
Old 01-03-2008, 04:59 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by T2x
Steve is also a friend of mine for many years.......

He was a champion OPC racer in his own right and drove, among other things, Allisons much like mine pictured earlier in this thread.

He has always credited Allison for many of his hull design ideas rather than claiming that he "invented" stuff.

In fact, with todays drives, engines, composite materials and props, a properly scaled up version of that 1966 Allison design would run as fast or faster than any offshore vee hull today.

T2x
I really enjoyed seeing your old JJ class Allison. It brought back memories of our old OPC racing days. The only JJ class Allison I can ever remember seeing was in the mid 70's at the APBA/OPC World Championship race at Smith Mountain Lake in Virginia. It was also the only 18' Allison I have ever seen. It was a much deeper boat than 15' and 16' model Allisons. My buddy bought a brand new 15' Allison in 1974. He ran an Evinrude X-115 racing motor on it in UI class. I bought a brand new 14' Allison in 1976 and powered it with an Merc 85 in Family G class. They were fun boats to race.
We used to race against many Checkmates and Hydro-Streams in the early years. The first time I saw a Baja hull I thought it was a Checkmate because it was identical to the Checkmate hull. Also, I have always heard that before Reggie ever built his first Fountain boat he spent some time talking to Paul Allison about hull design. Thus the beak nose. Allison had it long before Reggie even thought about building boats. I am not bashing Reggie. I think he is a genius when it comes to designing and racing boats. My personal boat is a Fountain.