Vintage used boat pricing question >

Vintage used boat pricing question

Notices

Vintage used boat pricing question

Old 01-03-2008, 04:15 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Vintage used boat pricing question

I'm looking at a very nice older Donzi 22 Classic and I'm having some difficulty getting my arms around the price.

Here's the details:

1987 Donzi 22 2 Plus 3 (Classic)
2001 Stripped and repainted with Awlgrip (4 coats of clear above the water line on top of the base coat).
2001 Structure evaluated and all stringers, gas tank and transom in very good condition.
2001 New Bravo 1 upgrade
2006 New upholstery
2006 Latham partial hydraulic steering
2006 CMI Elbow Top exhaust
2006 New Gaffrig gauges and dash
2007 Professionally rebuilt Merc Racing 425 (454 w/4 bolt mains and rectangular heads) .060 over with new rods, valves, cam, Dominator carb, etc. I've asked for the build sheet.
2007 Upgraded to full Latham steering
2001 South Florida Aluminum tandem axle trailer with new disk brakes, radial tires and aluminum rims.

He's asking $26,900 but considering it's still a 21 year old boat that seems a bit rich. I know older Donzi Classics have values all over the map so I'm putting this out for the collective masses to review.

I'm thinking it's more of a low $20's boat but it does have some pretty decent hardware installed and appears to be in great condition with less than 10 hours on the motor.

Here's some pictures.
Attached Images    
Old 01-03-2008, 04:27 PM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Hard to see from your images as they are very small. I also think he is a little on the high side but if the boat is super clean then that has a good value also. It is VERY hard to find clean ones. What are "average" ones going for?
Old 01-03-2008, 04:58 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Audiofn
Hard to see from your images as they are very small. I also think he is a little on the high side but if the boat is super clean then that has a good value also. It is VERY hard to find clean ones. What are "average" ones going for?
I tried to scale up the images but that's as big as they showed up.

Average is tough. Well maintained original '80's vintage 22's with refreshed power on Alpha drives are going for mid to high teens. On the flip side some totally stock late '90's boats have moved for a little over $20K. Then there are some mid '90's bristol examples that have sold for $25K or more. Prices are all over the map.

I looked at a rough '87 that would need close to $20,000 in work to get to this boat's quality and equipment and it was around $11,000.

New 22's with 496HO power are about $65,000 + options.
Old 01-03-2008, 05:17 PM
Registered

for you Donzi guys. Think this was a splash?http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1984-...QQcmdZViewItem
Old 01-03-2008, 05:18 PM
Registered

a 22 classic of that vintage is a 12-20k dollar boat,depending on condition shopping can find a clean boat with the right power drive combo i personally would not want a sbc alpha 22 classic deals on a bbf/king cobra mid 90's boats can be had for under 20k and are very reliable packages or early bravo boats can be found as well
are you set on a 22 classic , the 20 minx might be an alternative
Old 01-03-2008, 07:05 PM
Registered

Received 94 Likes on 22 Posts

hey dude....theres no shortage of guys that think their boat is worth a million dollers........show up with what you think its worth in cash and see if he takes it......lots of times after 5 or 10 guys coming around kicking tires and wasting his time the first guy who shows up with actual money gets it........
Old 01-03-2008, 07:25 PM
Registered

Thanks guys.

This ain't my first rodeo so I know the cash in hand thing. Just looking to see what the prevailing thoughts are.

I looked at the Minx and it doesn't do as much for me as the 22. Perhaps it's an emotional thing but the 22 just LOOKS right with the low, sloped sides and narrow 7' beam.

I'm not looking for the fastest ride, I'm looking for something that is appealing to my eyes, can run well and will stand the test of time AND is in my toy budget which is $25K or under.
Old 01-03-2008, 07:33 PM
Registered

Received 885 Likes on 480 Posts

Originally Posted by mjw930
I'm looking at a very nice older Donzi 22 Classic and I'm having some difficulty getting my arms around the price.

Here's the details:

1987 Donzi 22 2 Plus 3 (Classic)
2001 Stripped and repainted with Awlgrip (4 coats of clear above the water line on top of the base coat).
2001 Structure evaluated and all stringers, gas tank and transom in very good condition.
2001 New Bravo 1 upgrade
2006 New upholstery
2006 Latham partial hydraulic steering
2006 CMI Elbow Top exhaust
2006 New Gaffrig gauges and dash
2007 Professionally rebuilt Merc Racing 425 (454 w/4 bolt mains and rectangular heads) .060 over with new rods, valves, cam, Dominator carb, etc. I've asked for the build sheet.
2007 Upgraded to full Latham steering
2001 South Florida Aluminum tandem axle trailer with new disk brakes, radial tires and aluminum rims.

He's asking $26,900 but considering it's still a 21 year old boat that seems a bit rich. I know older Donzi Classics have values all over the map so I'm putting this out for the collective masses to review.

I'm thinking it's more of a low $20's boat but it does have some pretty decent hardware installed and appears to be in great condition with less than 10 hours on the motor.

Here's some pictures.

Is this Tom's boat? Guy lives in Ormond by the Sea? If so he is my neighbor (2nd Home for me) and I have seen the boat. Never been on it but seen it in person a few times and I know he dumped a ton of money into it.
Old 01-03-2008, 07:37 PM
JnT
Registered

Do not get emotional about anything that does not have a heart!
Its been said many times that a boat is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it.
I would say 17k for the boat as an outsider watching the market.
I'm not a pro just an enthusiast that follows the game.
If its worth 26k to you then by all means buy it and enjoy it.
Jim
Old 01-03-2008, 08:14 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Jupiter Sunsation
Is this Tom's boat? Guy lives in Ormond by the Sea? If so he is my neighbor (2nd Home for me) and I have seen the boat. Never been on it but seen it in person a few times and I know he dumped a ton of money into it.
No, it's not in Ormond by the Sea but I'm in Ormond Beach

The boat is in Pensacola.

It seems that "dumping a lot of money into it" and boats always end up in the same sentence....... It also seems that older Donzi owners, especially Classic Donzi owners have no problem dumping thousands into these boats. There are a lot of boats out there that people like but older Donzi owners seem to have a particular passion (sickness).

Quick Reply: Vintage used boat pricing question

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.