Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Win a 6 pac of Habana Co UV tee-shirts with custom graphics of your boat / logos >

Win a 6 pac of Habana Co UV tee-shirts with custom graphics of your boat / logos

Notices

Win a 6 pac of Habana Co UV tee-shirts with custom graphics of your boat / logos

Old 01-05-2008, 05:24 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Fishing in Cuba?
Gambling in Havana?

Last edited by marineclean; 01-05-2008 at 05:51 PM.
Old 01-05-2008, 05:32 PM
No Comment
VIP Member

Location: This post copyright, Packinair Inc. All rights reserved.

The Legend of Habana Joe
Many people outside of the sport fishing, sea-angling, and boating community are not aware of the legendary Habana Joe. Habana Joe however was a notorious legend to these communities, responsibile for rum-running during the Prohibition days, among many others. It wasn't unusual to see him navigating the Atlantic seas and landing on the New Jersey shores on his Jersey-skiff, delivering the rum and escaping the coast guard. He was notably at sea with other legends such as Captain McCoy ("the Real McCoy") and Ernest Hemingway.

History of Habana Joe
Habana Joe was a legendary sea captain, rum-runner and angler who ploughed the waters off the coast of Cuba for many years before the revolution. He fished with other legendary individuals such as Ernest Hemingway and Captain William S. McCoy on some of those trips. The original Habana Joe could be found as far north as Prince Edward Island in the summers and later in life he would call Florida and such Bahamian Islands as Bimini and Nassau his winter homes. When he wasn’t fishing, he and his wife were manufacturing specialty textiles and clothing. His wife, a seamstress by trade, also designed and created all of the clothing Joe and his friends wore during their numerous fishing expeditions.

His son, Joe Jr., who was also involved in the textile industry, accompanied his father on some of those memorable trips to Cuba. By the time Joe Jr. was old enough to land the Granders (1,000+ lb. billfish), the revolution had taken place and those fertile fishing grounds were closed. Following in his father’s footsteps, Joe Jr. worked the ledges, drop offs and canyons all up and down the Eastern Seaboard. He had seen the schools of Giant Tuna off Bimini, the birth of Big Game fishing in the Carolinas and Big Eye Tuna so thick in the Canyons of the Northeast you could walk across them.

Today’s "Habana Joe" Gere grew up with stories of Cuba’s unparalleled bill fishing and celebrating Cuba’s lavish lifestyle. Although these things are no longer accessible to him, he longs for the magnificent days of his father & grandfather before him and the lifestyle they were fortunate enough to enjoy. As a tribute to them and to his grandmother, the first designer of Habana clothing, he founded The Habana Company. Many of his designs are timeless classics that look as good today as they did when the original Habana Joe strolled through the streets of Havana and the waters of the Atlantic.

Habana Joe lives on
In the current Habana Joe family blood line, they have created a relaxed, casual Men's clothing line, Habana Co., featuring the Dock to Dine apparel line. The spirit and adventures of the original Habana Joe live on for many years to come.

Works Cited
Guitierrez, Wilfredo. The Adventures of the Real McCoy. Columbia Press. Pgs. 25-27, 101-104. 1999.

Perez, Jose. Sea Legends of Habana Cuba. Fourth Edition. United Press. Pgs. 155-206. 2003.

Sanchez, Maria. Ernest Hemingway. Second Edition. Westinghouse Limited. Pgs. 30-32. 2001.

Santo, Javier. The Legend of Habana Joe. United Artists Press. Pgs. 22-25, 66-71.
Old 01-05-2008, 05:51 PM
Registered

Sloppy Joe's in Key West
Old 01-05-2008, 07:16 PM
Registered

I am not sure but this thread is interesting as hell !!!

p.s. My Grandfather was infamous in his own right, He was the Captain of the Glasgow Celtic Pro Football (soccer) club in Scotland. If you know anything about Scots its that Soccer is Religion !!!! He was Micheal McAteer
Old 01-05-2008, 07:23 PM
Registered

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts
Default The winner is!

rbr2328 got it on the first shot, I just wanted to enlist a few more people to look around.

Yes, he was a rum runner. When you talk about the hey days of offshore in Miami during the 80's I have to say "history repeats itself". South Fl was hopping long before Scarface came to town!!!

I will have another simple contest in about 2 more weeks so be stay ready!!!!

rbr2328 send me an email [email protected] and we'll get started.

If you want to use your own boat pics please look around for 300dpi digitals that you like. Think of a theme, look at some of ours online and we can blend everything together!

Thank you everyone for playing along!
Old 01-07-2008, 03:02 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 84 Likes on 31 Posts

And I thought they named Sloppy Joe's after him!
Old 01-07-2008, 04:33 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Joe

My club is looking for a new t-shirt co to do our t-shirts, can we talk ??????????

Mike
www.ecbrcnj.com
Old 01-07-2008, 05:31 PM
Registered

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts

call our office tomorrow 718-576-2131, I'll be there after 11:00 I'm shooting craps later tonight!!!

I'll work with you, no problem

I see you have a JS, have you seen the red Bender boat "Zipper", that's my old boat, I hear in runs around in the bay still and races outlaw?
Old 02-18-2008, 09:53 AM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Xchoke03
I am not sure but this thread is interesting as hell !!!

p.s. My Grandfather was infamous in his own right, He was the Captain of the Glasgow Celtic Pro Football (soccer) club in Scotland. If you know anything about Scots its that Soccer is Religion !!!! He was Micheal McAteer
WAy to go X , and this thread is interesting as hell !!!
ROCK ON ITS A SKATER NATION !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 02-18-2008, 05:22 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I won and have not had a chance to get anything to Joe yet.

Quick Reply: Win a 6 pac of Habana Co UV tee-shirts with custom graphics of your boat / logos

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.