Notices

What builder is this

Old 01-06-2008, 05:24 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Jupiter Sunsation
OK, here is an idea............OSO needs to gather its 30,000 best members and have them each chip in $166 and then we can all be experts and become the new owners of Velocity.
If we own the company we can takeover the industry by shamelessly self promoting the boats here on the #1 Powerboating website!
Now we are talking I'm in but only if Catmando makes all the important decisions.
Old 01-06-2008, 05:43 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by RaggedEdge
Just cause "it ain't broke" dosen't mean anyone wants it. Both are very old technology in terms of design. And don't think I'm trying to start something here. We are live in a high tech world and most want the latest and greatest of what is offered. In order to remain in this boat building game a company needs to constantly be on top of the latest technology, if not just ahead of it, if they want to gain their share of the market. Both of the above are designs that are decades old in their basis, both still work ( ain't broke ) but are not keeping up with the standards being set in the industry, and are seeing shrinking markets for their designs.

Set aside the fact that I own a Fountain and apply this to your own brand of choice. This fall I sold my 35' boat with HP 500 carb motors, bought a much newer and more technologically advanced design 35' model by the same manufacturer, with HP 525's. With only a small increase in horsepower I have gained a solid 10 mph increase in top speed. Which will also translate into a higher cruise speed, or the ability to cruise at the same speed as before but a a lower and more efficient engine speed. I see this as a win - win deal, faster on esentially the same power while using less fuel, and no tempermental high maintence hot rod engines to deal with, or the other broken chit that often follows the adding of more hp to any given set up.

If your manufacturer of choice could offer this to you would you not be inclined to return to them for your next purchase? Or would you be content to stay with them if their pitch to you was "It ain't broke, so we ain't gonna spend our money to fix it, just for your benefit"
Ragged edge.......we did already established that I am all for upgrading things like hull (efficiancy),motors, drives, etc, etc......When I say if it isn't broke don't fix it I am referring to styling............I wouldn't want either builder to change the deck or the lines of their boats........when Sonic does come out with that new stepped hull I would surely consider it for my next boat............especially if they maintain there look.
Old 01-07-2008, 09:07 AM
Registered

Some People (probably Just Sonic And Velocity Guys) Dont Like Stepped Hulls, This Is Another Factor People Consider When Purchasing. From There It's Also Finding The Fastest Non-stepped Hull Available. Also Keep In Mind Fountain"s Have A Pad Bottom , And A Notched Transom, All Old Tech That Stepp Engineered. Not Trying To Argue A Point Just Some Interesting Facts
Old 01-07-2008, 09:48 AM
Registered

Received 273 Likes on 163 Posts

Originally Posted by 007joe
Some People (probably Just Sonic And Velocity Guys) Dont Like Stepped Hulls, This Is Another Factor People Consider When Purchasing. From There It's Also Finding The Fastest Non-stepped Hull Available. Also Keep In Mind Fountain"s Have A Pad Bottom , And A Notched Transom, All Old Tech That Stepp Engineered. Not Trying To Argue A Point Just Some Interesting Facts
Did stepp really engineer the pad and notched transome?

Steps are old technology too. I mean really, how many different ways can you build a V-hull, or cat for that matter?

As for gaining efficiency with newer vs old (35 fountain example). I don't remember them making much changes to the hull. Didn't fountain just make a stager set up out of their 35. Faster and more efficient yes, but to say its advanced newer technology...........please, staggered boats have been around for decades.

Last edited by TexomaPowerboater; 01-07-2008 at 10:01 AM.
Old 01-07-2008, 10:06 AM
Registered

as far as i know he did develop the notched transom over 20 yrs ago,i beleive he also engineered the pad, i think they (boat manufactuers)started toying with stepped hull's back in the 1960's
Old 01-07-2008, 10:32 AM
Mod Squad Enforcer
Charter Member

Received 795 Likes on 258 Posts

Originally Posted by Jupiter Sunsation
OK, here is an idea............OSO needs to gather its 30,000 best members and have them each chip in $166 and then we can all be experts and become the new owners of Velocity.
If we own the company we can takeover the industry by shamelessly self promoting the boats here on the #1 Powerboating website!

Probably less than 10% of the 50k plus members here even pay the $19.95. You think 30k are gonna pony up $166 ??

On the other side, 10% of the members could write a check TODAY for the $5 million, but they aren't that stupid.
Old 01-07-2008, 10:40 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by TexomaPowerboater
Did stepp really engineer the pad and notched transome?

Steve will tell you himself he was "inspired" by the Allison boats he used to race.

No one has invented anything in quite some time.

Massaged? Maybe. New? No way.
Old 01-07-2008, 10:52 AM
Registered

i thought he came out with the notch, the pad i wasnt sure of....... i'm sure i'll get a hundred corrections
Old 01-07-2008, 12:13 PM
Registered

Received 112 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by TexomaPowerboater
As for gaining efficiency with newer vs old (35 fountain example). I don't remember them making much changes to the hull. Didn't fountain just make a stager set up out of their 35. Faster and more efficient yes, but to say its advanced newer technology...........please, staggered boats have been around for decades.

The boat I had was the 1999 single step 35' design, the one I now have is the 2006 twin step 35' design. There is a 10 mph (+ -) diference in speed between the two hull designs. And yes the 2007 35' is a stagered set up, not sure if the hull was modified, the top deck was for sure changed, when going to the staggered version, and it is again faster than the '06 design that I own.

My point here was that the '06 hull design is newer and more advanced technology than that of the '99. I'm not saying that Fountain invented the step design, he has simply continued to change and modify it's application to his product line to increase the speed and efficiency of what he builds and offers. Simply stated, I feel that I have benefited from the R&D that Fountain has invested in their products.
Old 01-07-2008, 12:26 PM
Registered

Received 112 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris Sunkin
Steve will tell you himself he was "inspired" by the Allison boats he used to race.

No one has invented anything in quite some time.

Massaged? Maybe. New? No way.

Agreed here, and "inspired" might be a polite way of stating "borowed". Stepp may have been one of the early ones to apply this to a larger offshore design, but I don't believe he holds a patten on the design.

Pads, notches, and steps have been around forever. All you need to do is walk thru an antique boat display, or go to an antique race boat gathering, to see evedince of this that goes back many many years to the likes of Garwoods.

Quick Reply: What builder is this

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.