Notices

Layoffs...Round Two

Old 01-29-2002, 08:14 AM
jr

Well, I still have a job. Just got out of a meeting. They told us that there wouldn't be anyone from our group eliminated. But there are still about 250 that will be going elsewhere in Product Development. I just hope they do well by the poor people that do get axed. I'm sure a few friends will be leaving.

Old 01-29-2002, 08:49 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
During the last lay off my place had I lost two friends that I worked side by side with for over ten years.
That really hurt.
As I was watching them drive off another friend said "I don't know what's worse, being layed off or left behind". I said "being left behind, if I was layed off I wouldn't feel so bad".
I know how you feel. My company went from over 1000 employees down to 120. I figure I have about two more years before they close up shop.
Old 01-29-2002, 08:57 AM
jr

Its pretty tough out there for designers right now. With one auto company doing their big layoff, my place dumping all the people in April and today, I know a couple guys that havent found a job yet. There was a engineering/design job fair last week. There was an hour wait to get in. I don't know why theyre having these things, nobody is hiring. The auto industry is feast of famine.

Old 01-29-2002, 09:17 AM
st

JR,

I know what you mean about the auto indutry. I was laid off (job eliminated) back in November from one of the big auto suppliers along with 11,000 other people on that one day.
I have a feeling that the auto industry will be down for quite awhile. The 0% deals moved alot of cars in Oct- Dec, but that was just getting excess inventory off the lots. Plus, an article I just read made the point that the 0% deals will really hurt the auto manufactures in the next couple of years......

Good Luck- SCT

Old 01-29-2002, 09:23 AM
Preferredstock

I know what you mean. I was laidoff from a company that was a supplier for the automotive industry back in July. It took 4 months to find a job and I had to take a 20% pay cut. Not as much gas money this year for the boat.
Good Luck

Bill

Old 01-29-2002, 09:26 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
THATS GREAT NEWS
Old 01-29-2002, 09:32 AM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Glad you made the cut man. It is tough out there for some of you guys I know. Seems like Nickslick and I have so far been lucky to get through all this crap realatively unscathed.

Jon
Old 01-29-2002, 09:42 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I feel for you man,good luck.