Would this give us more speed?

Old 01-07-2008, 02:14 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Old 01-07-2008, 02:15 PM
Registered

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts
Default can't compare air to water

The difference between ‘Hydrodynamics’ and ‘Aerodynamics’ is the property of incompressibility. Hydrodynamic flows are incompressible while aerodynamic flows are compressible. Therefore what happens to an object passing thru the air will be different when passing through water.

Last edited by HabanaJoe; 01-07-2008 at 02:23 PM.
Old 01-07-2008, 02:19 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by U4ICK
Read a lot about HP boat speed and how the boats run faster in a chop vice dish pan cam conditions. My Scarab 22 is living proof of that. So if I understand this smooth bottom and smooth water thing right, the object is to create a slight turbulence between the hull and water to unstick the two from each other. This slight turbulence in turn creates air bubbles I guess much like the step hulls do. Now I'm a golfer and was standing around wating to putt and heard a go fast going down the Chesepeake Bay. So I got to thinking I know for a fact that a dimpled golf ball goes significantly further then a smooth one. You would not thinik so but that is physics. So if I spray a thin coat of LINE-X truck bed liner on the bottom area of the boat that contacts the water, then during cruise or WOT that should create some minor turbulence, thus creating small air bubbles, thus unstick the boat from the water, not cause noticeable drag and I would hope create more speed. I guess I'm setting myself for incoming and I'm sure I'll get the "go try it on your boat first and let us know" comment. However, I'm looking for constructive comments from the performance boat pros to tell me if it could work or I'm out to lunch.

Ed
Bad idea unless you intend to haul gravel on the bottom of your boat. I would spend some time on truing the bottom. Keel and sharpening the edges like at the transom/bottom junction and the strakes for starters also remembering parallelism of running surface elements is a good start for free speed.
Old 01-07-2008, 02:28 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MOBILEMERCMAN
You not taking into account the vacuum effect caused by speed. Sailboats speed is far less effected by vacuum than boats going on plane at high speed.
You are right, however it is just magnified by the speed, it still exists at any speed. Anyway other than introducing air from a stepped hull the smooth botton is still the best way to reduce friction.

Now I want to know who will be the first person to make a stepped tray from carbon fiber or somthing and integrate it to the bottom of the flat bottom boat. Sound crazy ??
Old 08-03-2008, 03:50 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Strakes

I know what you mean by sharpening the edges at the transom but what do you mean by sharpening the strakes.
Old 08-03-2008, 06:10 PM
Registered

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

There is a difference in creating turbulence and drag. What works aerodynamically does not always work hydro-dynamically.
Old 08-03-2008, 07:08 PM
OSO OG
Gold Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by FeverMike
There is a difference in creating turbulence and drag. What works aerodynamically does not always work hydro-dynamically.
correct. Great thread BTW