Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
V Hull Lengths - How Seaworthy >

V Hull Lengths - How Seaworthy

Notices

V Hull Lengths - How Seaworthy

Old 01-07-2008, 04:57 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

A 38 in REAL 6's at 50 mph isn't a sit-down ride. It's a hands-on, 100% attention deal. It's exhilarating but maybe not too fun for ladies & little kids. More hard-tail Harley than Gold Wing. Alot more.
Old 01-07-2008, 05:22 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Wink

Art H , you've mentioned cruising Georgia Straight Washington [ don't know where that is ] state , all the way to California by the Oregon coast . I wouldn't even consider doing that in my friend's triple engined 47' offshore boat ! The Oregon coast is one of the worst to cruise down to Cali .

Friendly reminder from the Columbia Delta

Most salty guys going out 100 miles from shore to find calmer water when they have to make that trip . Saw a few 60'+ yachts at the local yards bent out of shape getting water over the bridge coming up by the Oregon coast . Here in the Georgia Strait [ Vancouver BC area ] protected by Vancouver Island , we have conditions you wouldn't want to be out when the north westerly wind start blowing .

Here's a picture of my friend's 33 Donzi that gets water over the windshield regularily coming across the Strait . This was a nice calm day

Got soaked so many times in the Donzi that he built this 33 foot boat entirely to cope with the unpredictable weather of the North West .

There's an older 1989 Formula 402 for sale in the NWoffshore.com classifieds that's the minimum size spanning crest to crest to be comfotable with in 6 footers . Price is right below 30 K .
Ps; like Chris Sunkin mentioned read Chapman's Piloting over and over if you really want to venture far offshore .Radar is a must , since fog is another problem , offshore racers from the 70's 80's found that out pretty fast !

Last edited by spectras only; 01-07-2008 at 05:35 PM.
Old 01-07-2008, 07:03 PM
Registered

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I have a 272 Formula, Great boat, great for "rough" waters. That being said, I been out n 6'-8' swells in a 16' speed boat. Just rode right over them and with them. NO WHITE CAPS. In Hawaii. Rolling waves. Been out on Lake Michigan in 4'+ meat grinder/washing machine white caps, waves from every direction. White knuckles all the way and I was in a 42 Luhrs.
Got stuck in a storm in WPB, East coast of FL in a 26'. Glad to be alive, I might ad.
GET THE BIGGEST F;ING OCEAN LINER YOU CAN GET !! for the boating you are talkng about.

Last edited by PARADOX; 01-07-2008 at 08:59 PM.
Old 01-07-2008, 08:35 PM
rjr
Registered

If you have to ask the question you probably should not even consider putting yourself and others in that situation. We are in this for FUN!!! Not to get ourselves killed!!!
Old 01-07-2008, 10:02 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

art, i love formulas more than the next guy (had 4 or 5); but going down the wa/or coast ain't no joy ride. its not that there aren't days where an 18' would do, but you NEED serious seakeeping abilities to do this safely. good luck - jeff
Old 01-07-2008, 10:26 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

The NW does have some serious weather. And...it comes up fast. I was on a 185ft Coastal Patrol once up north, when we started taking blue water over the bridge. Not a fun ride. A lot of good info in this thread. Like was already said, a rader and a GPS plotting system is a must, due to the fog. If I were up north, I'd be looking at a 40ft plus boat due to the much better ride.

Darrell.
Old 01-08-2008, 12:25 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for all the info.

Spectras, I am from Vancouver, but mentioned Washington to also refer to Juan de Fuca Straight. I have property on Thetis Island and want to start commmuting regularly. The real purpose of this post was to find out what these offshore hulls can do in moderate yet still safe seas. I did find it quite difficult finding info on rough sea performance. Most boat tests may mention the sea-state, but it is ussually quite tame.

If I go with an older boat, I think the Formulas are nice looking and have a good record for quality. If I go newer, then the door is open. To start I think the 30ft range is a good beginner size. Fuel consum not too bad either.

Spectras, I like the boat your friend built. Did he do the whole thing or just redo the superstructure of an exhisting hull? Either way it's a fine example of a comfortable boat. any other info on the boat would be great.

Thanks

Art
Old 01-08-2008, 12:37 PM
rjr
Registered

The only fatalities in USCG 40' motor rescue boat history came in your neck of the woods. It does not sound like a place for beginners
Old 01-08-2008, 12:47 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by VetteLT193
6-7 is big, assuming 'real' 6-7 and not what people think are 6-7 (I swear 99/100 boaters over-state wave size by 2 times).
I have also noticed that 99 out of 100 OSO members invent ratios.
Old 01-08-2008, 12:48 PM
Registered

Don't they sell Grand Banks or other trawlers up there?

Quick Reply: V Hull Lengths - How Seaworthy

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.