V Hull Lengths - How Seaworthy >

V Hull Lengths - How Seaworthy

Notices

V Hull Lengths - How Seaworthy

Old 01-09-2008, 03:40 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by fund razor
I hate to get on topic, but don't 272s usually have 454s?
First off, we're talking the '86-91 vintage 272 SR-1 right? I don't know the production mix but I've seen more with small blocks, and a few with big blocks. IMHO the SBC 272s are still the best all around bang for the buck. A few were made with 320hp EFIs and Alpha SS drives; definitely a mid-60s+ mph boat I think and that's with a molded in hook. For the boating I do, I wish I had stuck with buying a 272 instead of the 311.
Old 01-09-2008, 04:11 PM
CBR
www.hyperfishing.com
Platinum Member

Art H, I lived in Vancouver and my pops had property on Gossip Island. We though about commuting across the Straight in our own boat, but enough rough ferry rides made us decide not to. When a 150 foot ferry decides it is too rough to run, a 30' Formula is not going to cut it. <gg>

That said, if you pick your day, the odd trip over would be fine. I think the B.C. fuel costs are going to rock your world on any regular long distance boat commuting trips. Buying a float plane would probably be cheaper, but not as cheap as taking the ferry.

Go to BoaterEd.com and ask questions on the Inside passage thread. Good luck!
Old 01-09-2008, 05:31 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Smile

Originally Posted by Art_H
Thanks for all the info.

Spectras, I am from Vancouver, but mentioned Washington to also refer to Juan de Fuca Straight. I have property on Thetis Island and want to start commmuting regularly. The real purpose of this post was to find out what these offshore hulls can do in moderate yet still safe seas. I did find it quite difficult finding info on rough sea performance. Most boat tests may mention the sea-state, but it is ussually quite tame.

If I go with an older boat, I think the Formulas are nice looking and have a good record for quality. If I go newer, then the door is open. To start I think the 30ft range is a good beginner size. Fuel consum not too bad either.

Spectras, I like the boat your friend built. Did he do the whole thing or just redo the superstructure of an exhisting hull? Either way it's a fine example of a comfortable boat. any other info on the boat would be great.

Thanks

Art

You'll be fine with a Formula of 24' and over most of the time sticking around here . My friend commutes every weekend to his Maple Bay house during the summer months , hence he built his canopy enclosure type boat while he worked at Sovereign Yacths . It's a one of only , that we did the rigging and installed a single ZZ572 engine in it for economy . Boat does suprisingly well at 65 mph on GPS with single power .
In this picture you see the enclosure for a liferaft , that can be used as a hot tub as well , hehe .

Have a heater also that maintains 70 F inside the cabin in the winter .

The engine

The interior
Old 01-09-2008, 05:40 PM
Registered

Smile

I use my boat [ 25'7" with twin 6.2's ] crossing to Vancouver Island all the time . We could meet up one day and shoot the breeze about boats .
Here's a typical light choppy day at Porlier Pass . The boat behind me is a 34 foot cruiser.

My boat and Craig's [ before he painted the hull blue ] at his dock in Maple Bay

Old 01-09-2008, 05:46 PM
Registered

CBR,

Thetis requires 2 Ferries at a great expense. Not to mention the extended waiting times. Not a viable solution, really.

I have crossed on some really bad days, with an 18ft. I used to go over with my Dad as a youngster in a 15ft Glen-L with a 454 and a jet. Nothin' says ouch more than rough seas and a flat bottomed hull.

My travel distance is about 35 miles into False Creek Vancouver. The two ferries would cost about $130 total. A 30ft hull cruising @ 35-40 mph would consume about 15US GPH. So between $50-60 depending on if you use marked fuel. So really, it could end up being less expensive. And if it's bad enough that the ferries close, then you're not gettin' over anyway...

Thanks for the BotaerEd link,

Art
Old 01-09-2008, 05:55 PM
Registered

Smile

This is outside of English Bay going into Howe Sound by Bowen Island . 35' Nordic getting through the slop .

The only boat that maintained high rate of speed without beating its passengers during this
poker run was a 42' Outerlimit .
Old 01-09-2008, 06:05 PM
Registered

Cool

Just for measure , I burn 10 gal/hr per engine at 3000 rpm cruising 40 mph .
I usually make it to Maple Bay from the Richmond ramp at cruising speeds in 45 minutes . It's more enjoyable than going by ferry both ways , not to mention the long sailing waits .
PS; marked fuel is 89 octane on the water .My 6.2's require 87 octane , so it's cheaper to fill up at the gas stations on land for me .

Last edited by spectras only; 01-09-2008 at 06:10 PM.
Old 01-10-2008, 03:46 AM
Registered

First off, we're talking the '86-91 vintage 272 SR-1 right? I don't know the production mix but I've seen more with small blocks, and a few with big blocks. IMHO the SBC 272s are still the best all around bang for the buck. A few were made with 320hp EFIs and Alpha SS drives; definitely a mid-60s+ mph boat I think and that's with a molded in hook. For the boating I do, I wish I had stuck with buying a 272 instead of the 311.
Handfulz28,

You mention the infamous hooked hull of the Formula boats. Probably the biggest strike against them. I have read the posts that mentioned the hooks in the hulls, though they are not clear as to what years and hull lengths are plagued. Do you know this info, or know where I can find out, or at least when Formula stopped that practice?

I think I'm leaning more to the 292 as it has the enclosed head. Also having more room for mor comfort cruising the Gulf Islands with overnights. Keeps the wife happy, and gets me a bigger boat.

Art
Old 01-10-2008, 07:12 AM
Registered

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Art_H
Handfulz28,

You mention the infamous hooked hull of the Formula boats. Probably the biggest strike against them. I have read the posts that mentioned the hooks in the hulls, though they are not clear as to what years and hull lengths are plagued. Do you know this info, or know where I can find out, or at least when Formula stopped that practice?

I think I'm leaning more to the 292 as it has the enclosed head. Also having more room for mor comfort cruising the Gulf Islands with overnights. Keeps the wife happy, and gets me a bigger boat.

Art
The hook he talks about is not a true hook. It is more like a built in trim tab on the outside edges of the hull only. It helps the boat get on plane quicker and maintain plane at slower speeds, but once you get moving the sides come out of the water and don't affect the boat like a hook that spans the transom.

If you bump to a 292 you'll find that you don't have to worry about the options that were selected from the get go. I am pretty sure the 292 came stock with zero effort controls, etc because I've never seen one without them. So, any 292 will be Like a 272 with all the options checked off.
Old 01-10-2008, 08:35 AM
Registered

VetteLT93,

That sounds a little better. That was the best description of the 'hook' I've heard yet. Some guys do sand and glass it out don't they? With good results?

The 292 with the options sounds great to me, and it's only 350lbs more than the 272 with 2 more feet at that. My plan was to take out the big blocks and put in an LS3 setup with custom stainless manifolds. Hoping that would drop the wait a little, and up the fuel efficiency.

Art

Quick Reply: V Hull Lengths - How Seaworthy

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.