Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   8'6" Is Too Low!!! (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/177293-86-too-low.html)

LubeJobs42 01-12-2008 09:29 AM

8'6" Is Too Low!!!

3 Attachment(s)
Well, it's been a while since I posted any mishaps. I have a new one that I'm sure many will shake their heads at. How many of us have seen trucks stuck under overpasses that are too low and you can only thin "what a moron". Well.....
I went to pick my buddy up at the Miami airport with my BRAND NEW freightliner with 211 miles. That airport is so confusing! I followed some busses in but they veered left to a "busses only" lane. I kept going straight. Coming up to the underpass it looked really low and it said 8'6". I quickly thought I was here in my old freightliner so should be ok. WRONG, New truck is 7" higher and the wing on top is at a different angle that makes it higher.
After the loudest boom and scraping you ever heard, I had to back up the traffic, back out from under where I was stuck. Turn the truck around and drove out of the airport terminal on the IN lanes!! Lots' of flashing headlights, cars pulling off, dirty looks and middle fingers. But I escaped with a ruined wing could have been much worse!!! For future reference 8'6" is too low!!

hunster 01-12-2008 09:37 AM

Well it didn't take you long into the new year to have a mishap. Lucky thats all you did ! I have been waiting for a good Gino mishap for a while now! Glad not to read too much from you , I was really worring that something from that black cloud that follows you around was gonna strike you down! Have a great new year :drink:

wrinkleface 01-12-2008 09:40 AM

Glad U have such a good sense of humor about yourself dude!!!

Gary864 01-12-2008 09:47 AM

Gino only you, only you:hitfan: You have the wosrt luck

LubeJobs42 01-12-2008 09:49 AM

Originally Posted by Gary864 (Post 2403503)
Gino only you, only you:hitfan: You have the wosrt luck

This had nothing to do with luck. just good old plain stupidity!

H2Xmark 01-12-2008 09:51 AM

I thought I was going to hit at the Houston airport one time in my truck, some of those places are on the low side, as far as clearance goes

Chris Sunkin 01-12-2008 09:54 AM

Gino,

Visit a U-Haul service center- you're nowhere near alone on this one!

Two weeks ago I had one of our shop trucks- using it to pick up a pallet of stuff a buddy had sent me. The terminal lot is under construction and muddy- on the way back, I figured I'd buzz thru and pressure-wash it. I neglected to remember we had a new vertical comprssor strapped to the bed for delivery the next morning. As I pulled into t he "tall" bay I always use, I hear a massive crunch and a shudder. My memory suddenly returned. Not only did I do $20K in damage to the roof of the car wash, I destroyed an $8K compressor.

Since every conversation around here starts and ends with my incessant preaching about safety and paying attention, I've been getting those looks pretty much all the time now.

OkieTunnel 01-12-2008 09:55 AM

Originally Posted by LubeJobs42 (Post 2403485)
"what a moron"!!

:D:D:D

dykstra 01-12-2008 10:00 AM

:d:d:d

Sydwayz 01-12-2008 10:11 AM

Originally Posted by LubeJobs42 (Post 2403485)
For future reference 8'6" is too low!!

Not anymore! :D