Flourescent lights and gelcoat? >

Flourescent lights and gelcoat?

Notices

Flourescent lights and gelcoat?

Old 01-18-2008, 05:26 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Flourescent lights and gelcoat?

Are flourescent lights bad for gelcoat? I was thinking of putting new fixtures in my garage with CFL's instead of incandescent bulbs, but I'm not sure if they produce harmful rays to my boat during winter storage. Any ideas?
Old 01-18-2008, 06:55 AM
Registered

I can't imagine how they could hurt something as tough as gelcoat, millions of humans work under them all day with no ill effects.
Old 01-18-2008, 07:08 AM
Registered

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by whipcracker
Are flourescent lights bad for gelcoat? I was thinking of putting new fixtures in my garage with CFL's instead of incandescent bulbs, but I'm not sure if they produce harmful rays to my boat during winter storage. Any ideas?
The main concern with gel is UV. The UV output of standard use fluorescent bulbs is really low. From memory: 8 hours of time with the lights on is equal to only a few minutes of time in the sun. I'm thinking back to studies done for offices. If it were bad for Gel, it would be bad for people too... basically, you'd see people that worked inside all day come out with a nice tan.
Old 01-18-2008, 09:40 AM
Registered

Don't put to many Flourescent lights in there! Flourescent bulbs seem to highlight flaws in your boat you didn't even know you had. Be prepared to see every swirl mark on the bow.
Old 01-18-2008, 10:31 AM
Registered

Received 21 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by ThruHull
Don't put to many Flourescent lights in there! Flourescent bulbs seem to highlight flaws in your boat you didn't even know you had. Be prepared to see every swirl mark on the bow.
LMAO! That's exactly what I was thinking! Those damn lights dring out imperfections in everything. Gel coat, drywall, hell even hot chicks!
Old 01-18-2008, 10:46 AM
Registered

I have found that black lights work much better
Old 01-18-2008, 11:06 AM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts

Flourescent are better than the Metal Halide lights for this reason. There are really your only two options for this application. Go with the flourescent lights. The 8' HO Low Temp Ballast lights are available at Home Depot.

Long discussion on this thread:
http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/s...+Halide&page=3
Old 01-18-2008, 11:10 AM
Registered

Received 21 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Sydwayz
Flourescent are better than the Metal Halide lights for this reason. There are really your only two options for this application. Go with the flourescent lights. The 8' HO Low Temp Ballast lights are available at Home Depot.
That's what I have in the "workspace" of my garage. 4 8' HO low temp 100 watters. They are bright!
Old 01-18-2008, 11:34 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You do hve to watch out for metal halides. We had a customer park a piece of portable machinery under one with about 2' of clearance. Melted a very expensive phenolic cased sensor in about 10 minutes.
Old 01-18-2008, 09:13 PM
Registered

Received 47 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by whipcracker
If they are not going to be on 8 hours a day, it probably won't hurt. If you are worried about it though, I would hang some tubular flourescents, and then get UV blocking tubes from McMaster. I've checked them with a UV meter, and the reading was zero with those filters.

Michael

Quick Reply: Flourescent lights and gelcoat?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.