Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   mufflers (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/177693-mufflers.html)

milesd 01-17-2008 10:34 AM

mufflers

Does anyone know who makes mufflers for dry exhaust?

Brad Zastrow 01-17-2008 01:01 PM

None that I can think of. Any bolt on stainless steel muffler will discolor very quickly if dry. Any reason you need to stay with dry exhaust? If you convert it to wet you will be less noisy and can run mufflers.

Lofty 01-17-2008 01:05 PM

GGB's, we have some in stock. What do you need?

Vinny P 01-17-2008 05:32 PM

I run GGB extremes full dry. They work great but look like $hit in a hurry. Might be the salt burning into them, but might be the stainless discoloring from heat. In either case, they come clean with some polishing.

Lofty 01-17-2008 05:47 PM

Yep, mine get ugly too but that isn't a function of the muffler. Ever try CLR? Works great on mufflers or any stainless tail pipes. Spray it on, leave it for a few minutes them wash it down with soapy water. Cleans all that crud off.

Ratickle 01-18-2008 07:10 AM

Originally Posted by Vinny P (Post 2410580)
I run GGB extremes full dry. They work great but look like $hit in a hurry. Might be the salt burning into them, but might be the stainless discoloring from heat. In either case, they come clean with some polishing.

Have you ever been tested for decibels?

Brad Zastrow 01-18-2008 10:07 AM

I did a search on Speedwake website, thier was a thread that somebody had GGB on a dry exhaust and tested 94 db at idle. 90 db passes most states. Every three DB is about twice as loud. So they won't pass.

I converted a dry tailpipe system to wet by drilling a two 3/16th holes at the tip of the inner pipe on the tail to allow water to flow into the muffler to kill the noise and keep my CMI mufflers from turning to crude. I was at less then 90 db with twin 1000 hp engines at idle. Other mufflers I tested were as high as 105db. The boat was 110 db with dry open exhaust. It would scare poeple when I started it if they were not aware.

The best setup is get the exhaust to exit under water at idle. I am 80 db with my twin 1400 hp cat at idle with CMI downturns.

nocigarette 01-18-2008 11:02 AM

I had no idea they even made a dry muffler..........I bet they are pricey..........I just put racing numbers on the bow and tell them i am testing propellers........They usually want to just see the boat....

Vinny P 01-18-2008 05:21 PM

Originally Posted by Ratickle (Post 2411085)
Have you ever been tested for decibels?

No I have not. The mufflers take the bark out of it, but its still a bit loud.

Boatally Insane 01-18-2008 08:06 PM

Originally Posted by Brad Zastrow (Post 2411338)
I did a search on Speedwake website, thier was a thread that somebody had GGB on a dry exhaust and tested 94 db at idle.

I have GGB's with Keith Eickert's on a 509 and it tested at 94 db at idle WET........ :cool:

Doug