Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   2008 Donzi's (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/177730-2008-donzis.html)

bluellama 01-17-2008 06:09 PM

2008 Donzi's

Does there seem to be an awful lot of "2008" Donzi's in the classifieds right now?

http://www.offshoreonlyclassifieds.c...en&s_by=f_year

Jupiter Sunsation 01-17-2008 06:37 PM

Originally Posted by bluellama (Post 2410640)
Does there seem to be an awful lot of "2008" Donzi's in the classifieds right now?

They opened a lot of new dealerships so they need to sell the inventory. Donzi is a mass produced product line so the more dealerships mean more boats need to be sold. Like Baja and Fountain think, open a dealer on every corner and you will sell more boats.

bluellama 01-17-2008 06:48 PM

I get that part of it, but there is a "2008" at a Marina in WI with green leafy trees in the background....

chuckbeecher 01-17-2008 06:56 PM

Heard a rumor because of sales not what they hoped (economy aqnd gas costs)..Donzi may try becoming a custom builder only..on demand construction only.
My opinion is that they will have to inmprove quality and detail to finish if they are to be successful as a custom builder.

bojoe2 01-17-2008 07:03 PM

how about the big layoff at doni there not making to many boats these days

TexomaPowerboater 01-17-2008 07:16 PM

Originally Posted by chuckbeecher (Post 2410697)
Heard a rumor because of sales not what they hoped (economy aqnd gas costs)..Donzi may try becoming a custom builder only..on demand construction only.
My opinion is that they will have to inmprove quality and detail to finish if they are to be successful as a custom builder.

Not a bad idea? I think the quality is right on up there with the rest of them. Maybe not the smaller boats, but the bigger ZR's are very impressive.

Jassman 01-17-2008 07:23 PM

Did the all candy red 38 or 43 ever sell. I thought that was one great all one color paint job, it really showed the lines of that hull..somewhat like that soft blue one. Jeff

Mentalpause 01-17-2008 07:25 PM

Originally Posted by TexomaPowerboater (Post 2410715)
Not a bad idea? I think the quality is right on up there with the rest of them. Maybe not the smaller boats, but the bigger ZR's are very impressive.

The quality on the ones I have walked through is on par with mass production. Not bad, but not on par with the higher end custom boats, especially in the bigger boat range.

I hope to look through them at the boat shows this season to see where they are now.

Mentalpause 01-17-2008 07:26 PM

Originally Posted by Jassman (Post 2410721)
Did the all candy red 38 or 43 ever sell. I thought that was one great all one color paint job, it really showed the lines of that hull..somewhat like that soft blue one. Jeff

Did you pick a weekend yet?

Jassman 01-17-2008 08:06 PM

Originally Posted by Mentalpause (Post 2410726)
Did you pick a weekend yet?

I have a foreign exchange student from Germany till end of January. All of Feb. working on docks and ramps with Doc Man Rich..possibly end of this month... if he decides to work vs red bullin it:hitfan: March 4-5 I have Tres Martin holding class here at the house, thats something both you guys should consider..if not any time after 3/6/08.. let me know. Thanks Jeff

Mentalpause 01-17-2008 08:53 PM

Originally Posted by Jassman (Post 2410769)
I have a foreign exchange student from Germany till end of January. All of Feb. working on docks and ramps with Doc Man Rich..possibly end of this month... if he decides to work vs red bullin it:hitfan: March 4-5 I have Tres Martin holding class here at the house, thats something both you guys should consider..if not any time after 3/6/08.. let me know. Thanks Jeff

Do I get to do the driving part of the class with your boat?:cool-smiley-026:

mattyboy 01-17-2008 09:31 PM

yeah the small donzi's are really not up to snuff I am just waiting for the other shoe to drop i mean the 41 year old piece of fiberglass I have has to fall apart someday right????:p

I would imagine with the gloomy news about the economy the hi po boat business is going to change alot for alot of companies wellcraft got out of the business, fountain is out of the under 30 foot group so is Cig
Donzi offers hi po boats from 16 feet to 43 feet quite a model line up not to mention the zf line
you'll see slow sellers like the sweet 16 lounge seating classic and the high price special edition boats drop from the line up first

they added dealers they also lost dealers

i guess we'll know more at the miami show at which way the company will go

i did like the 38zr's i have seen and they ride awesome and i
have always loved the classics

hey blue that 35 zr up by you ain't half bad either

bojoe2 01-18-2008 05:20 AM

The red 38zrc at pier 57 I remember that boat last month with stickers on the side of it round pier 57 stickers. But I thought it was advertised as a 2007. If a boat don't sell can they just change the title to a 2008 is that how the marine industry works. I guess just remove the chrome vin # on hull since not stamped on hull anymore. merc stoped putting year on motor now only a vin # so leftover motors were not labeled as old. Am I rite??? Does any one have the answer.

VetteLT193 01-18-2008 07:19 AM

Donzi has been up and down forever, between doing ok and not being able to pay the bills.

The older classic hulls (pre OMC) are definitely awesome. The newer classics seem to use hardware that isn't as good, and in general don't seem as good as they used to be.

The latest marketing push was the link to Miami Vice and other shows/movies. That, IMO, is the biggest waste of time and money to date. The Donzi web site sucks, marketing sucks, etc. I'd pick a bunch of other manufacturers over them for a new boat for many reasons.

They are also building a lot of big boats, which they have never been that strong in market wise.

Trueser 01-18-2008 07:22 AM

Originally Posted by bluellama (Post 2410640)

It seems like alot of boats are for sale not just Donzi
I'm in the market for the following

2000-2002 28zxo / 28zx
1999-2002 292
1997-2002 312

Tom A. 01-18-2008 07:28 AM

Originally Posted by bojoe2 (Post 2411015)
The red 38zrc at pier 57 I remember that boat last month with stickers on the side of it round pier 57 stickers. But I thought it was advertised as a 2007. If a boat don't sell can they just change the title to a 2008 is that how the marine industry works. I guess just remove the chrome vin # on hull since not stamped on hull anymore. merc stoped putting year on motor now only a vin # so leftover motors were not labeled as old. Am I rite??? Does any one have the answer.

Hey Joe,
The Vin is molded into the fiberglass so it is harder but not impossible to change it. Some of the 08's I see look suspiciously like 07's. I am assuming those boats are either same paint schemes or the ordered boat has a similar paint.
It is very illegal to change VIN's and falsely represent the year of a vehicle. Not that any manufacturer would have ever done that in the past.:party-smiley-004:

mattyboy 01-18-2008 09:05 AM

guys
doesn't the hin have digits that represent the production date and model year and doesn't production for the2008 model year really start in summer/ fall of 2007

i have seen the bigger zr boats in all solid colors a red one and a yellow one

that would be the scheme i would have sort of a classic paint scheme

white hull bottom solid red sides white deck with a red stripe
sorry old dog here who won't learn new tricks ;)

omerta one 01-18-2008 09:54 AM

My 2006 38ZR is still for sale at Pier 57...only 30hrs / warranty. Can be had for a great price if anyone is looking.

http://www.pier57.com/200638donzizrroof.htm

Tom A. 01-18-2008 10:09 AM

3 Attachment(s)
Classic meets contemporary!
Here is my Comp and previous Kryptonite and 22 Classic.

bluellama 01-18-2008 10:23 AM

Originally Posted by Tom A. (Post 2411110)
Hey Joe,
The Vin is molded into the fiberglass so it is harder but not impossible to change it. Some of the 08's I see look suspiciously like 07's. I am assuming those boats are either same paint schemes or the ordered boat has a similar paint.
It is very illegal to change VIN's and falsely represent the year of a vehicle. Not that any manufacturer would have ever done that in the past.:party-smiley-004:

Hey Tommy, I thought, like OL and Cig, Donzi has moved away from imprinting the HIN in the transom, and now afixes a metal plate instead.

Love the pics of the your ZRC and his little brother.

Jassman 01-18-2008 01:01 PM

Originally Posted by Mentalpause (Post 2410836)
Do I get to do the driving part of the class with your boat?:cool-smiley-026:

sure, why not, I let the neighbor kids drive it all the time.:rolleyes::D

Mentalpause 01-18-2008 09:57 PM

Originally Posted by Jassman (Post 2411622)
sure, why not, I let the neighbor kids drive it all the time.:rolleyes::D

I had you on speaker phone tonight. Colette asked just how gay are you?:evilb:

The interesting part - Juicy answered her...:party-smiley-004:

Tom A. 01-18-2008 11:00 PM

After doing a little research, Bluellama you are correct. My 2003 Donzi is stamped in the glass. The newer ones have metal ID tags. Switching those would take nothing at all.....

Rippem 01-18-2008 11:45 PM

something I always laugh at is how many manufacturers will drill the crosshair out of the phillips screws used to attach the ID plate to the hull...

yea...that's secure :rolleyes:

bluellama 01-19-2008 07:05 AM

Originally Posted by Tom A. (Post 2412465)
After doing a little research, Bluellama you are correct. My 2003 Donzi is stamped in the glass. The newer ones have metal ID tags. Switching those would take nothing at all.....

I hope the research facility you were at yesterday offered you a frosty beverage, or at least a coffee ...... :D

Tom A. 01-19-2008 04:56 PM

Originally Posted by bluellama (Post 2412595)
I hope the research facility you were at yesterday offered you a frosty beverage, or at least a coffee ...... :D

:ernaehrung004:

On a side note, Adam says hello and is all ready talking about 1000 Islands this year. I am looking into an intercom for the boat to make navigating easier and to hear the new stereo better!

bluellama 01-19-2008 07:08 PM

Tell the little guy I said hello. :D
Is he still on the left coast?

bojoe2 01-20-2008 10:51 AM

Originally Posted by Tom A. (Post 2412465)

AND WE HAVE A WINNER "2008" :grinser010: