Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Mechanical Steering Failure >

Mechanical Steering Failure

Notices

Mechanical Steering Failure

Old 01-22-2008, 11:01 AM
Registered

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

To answer the initial question, you should try driving a boat without power steering.

At 50+, you'll get some muscles. At 60+, you have to hold on to the spokes to keep the wheel from spinning.

There is a ton of force involved with keeping the drive straight. the steering is the area that has to counteract that force. External steering is simply set up better to handle that force.
Old 01-22-2008, 11:40 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by vonwolske
MobileMercMan:
Are you referring to the Drew Machine snubbers, or to someone else's post/or product. It was unclear.

What was wrong with the idea? How were they mouneted? Any more specifics?

I live in Austin, in Westlake, let's get together and talk boats over a beer. I will buy.

Jim Vonwolske
512 577 7374
Hello Jim,
The drew things I tried at a customers request were the shock type steering stabilizers. He had a 25 excaliber TRS the shocks made little difference and in my opinion were not rugged enough for what they were being asked to do. I have not kept up with their products to know what is presently available. I thought at the time their approach was wrong. If the steering is loose fix it or add hydraulic.
I would like to get together with you sometime. You can find my contact info at http://mobilemercman.com
Old 01-22-2008, 02:04 PM
Registered

Received 749 Likes on 402 Posts

Originally Posted by MOBILEMERCMAN
Hello Jim,
The drew things I tried at a customers request were the shock type steering stabilizers. He had a 25 excaliber TRS the shocks made little difference and in my opinion were not rugged enough for what they were being asked to do. I have not kept up with their products to know what is presently available. I thought at the time their approach was wrong. If the steering is loose fix it or add hydraulic.
I would like to get together with you sometime. You can find my contact info at http://mobilemercman.com
Similar to these?
Attached Images  
Old 01-22-2008, 02:35 PM
Registered

Knot 4 Me,
I can't tell for sure by the picture but they look bigger. I have a different opinion on ways to address a loose steering problem. If steering is loose fix it or add a hydraulic system. Everything else is a compromise.
Old 01-22-2008, 04:41 PM
Registered

Received 217 Likes on 112 Posts

Knot 4 Me,
I can't tell for sure by the picture but they look bigger. I have a different opinion on ways to address a loose steering problem. If steering is loose fix it or add a hydraulic system. Everything else is a compromise.
On my twin engine boat I just replaced the helm,new cable,new hydraulic rack,new gimbal rings,and stainless gimbal ring pins,I pretty much have a new steering system,boat on a good day does 68-69 mph,I was thinking of adding the drew sidewinders for extra protection,do you think it a waste ??
Old 01-22-2008, 09:50 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mobilemercman

As I understand it, the Drew snubbers are intended as an independent addition to the regular steering. Connected to an independent place on the transom and on the outdrive.

Cetainly, one should fix any problems with their steering including any wobble, loose joints, or instability. But the scenario I am discussing is if the main steering breaks and the drives want to slam to the left or right. The snubbers are there to slow down that slam effect to allow the driver to back off the throttle as quickly as he can in the few seconds it takes for the Drew units to stroke to hard left or right rudder.

Comments welcome.
Old 01-22-2008, 11:02 PM
Registered

We certainly can't all agree.

How about some questions. boatnt don't you think your new steering will have to work against your snubbers and wear out faster than the last time? vonwolske I understand the intention: I disagree with the usefullness. The snubbers don't lock so what difference do you really think turning a little slower than instantly will matter? Did any bodies' steering get loose all at once? How often do you check for play in steering? Won't they prevent you from checking for play? Doesn't everybody do a preflight check before leaving? Don't they just hide the play that is present? Does anyone get a discount on their insurance because of them? Has anyone been saved by them? I guess that's enough sorry to carry on like this. Really
Old 01-23-2008, 06:43 AM
Registered

Received 217 Likes on 112 Posts

We certainly can't all agree.

How about some questions. boatnt don't you think your new steering will have to work against your snubbers and wear out faster than the last time? vonwolske I understand the intention: I disagree with the usefullness. The snubbers don't lock so what difference do you really think turning a little slower than instantly will matter? Did any bodies' steering get loose all at once? How often do you check for play in steering? Won't they prevent you from checking for play? Doesn't everybody do a preflight check before leaving? Don't they just hide the play that is present? Does anyone get a discount on their insurance because of them? Has anyone been saved by them? I guess that's enough sorry to carry on like this. Really
Thanks for your input,I thought about the steering fighting the snubbers also.
what would you recomend on a twin engine set up that does about 68mph?is regular cable steering enough as long as its in good condition?
Old 01-23-2008, 08:20 AM
Registered

I would think so.
Old 02-28-2008, 05:45 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have drew marine sidewinders on my scarab 22. running 500 hp plus, and they made a big differnce in my ride and safety. money will spent. i have no more chin walk at all ,i am running in lake erie, big water.

Quick Reply: Mechanical Steering Failure

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.