Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
What's the best rust removal product and/or procedure for metal? >

What's the best rust removal product and/or procedure for metal?

Notices

What's the best rust removal product and/or procedure for metal?

Old 01-22-2008, 03:07 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What's the best rust removal product and/or procedure for metal?

More of a general question, anything from surface rust to good old salt water exposed iron that might still be usable. I know wire brush/wheel for the flaky, hard stuff. But I'm wondering more about chemical treatments like naval jelly, Rust Aid, and the different metal parts prep treatments that I've seen out there. I tried this recently: Evapo Rust and wasn't impressed. I just bought some ZEP Commercial stuff at Home Depot to try, but it seems like a lot of products are just Oxalic acid.
Old 01-22-2008, 03:14 PM
Registered

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by handfulz28
More of a general question, anything from surface rust to good old salt water exposed iron that might still be usable. I know wire brush/wheel for the flaky, hard stuff. But I'm wondering more about chemical treatments like naval jelly, Rust Aid, and the different metal parts prep treatments that I've seen out there. I tried this recently: Evapo Rust and wasn't impressed. I just bought some ZEP Commercial stuff at Home Depot to try, but it seems like a lot of products are just Oxalic acid.
the only thing I've ever found that actually works is a grinder. Some of that stuff will slow things down, but not stop anything.
Old 01-22-2008, 03:17 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Phosphoric Acid (Naval Jelly), but even that can be a pain in the azz.
Mechanical removal is the most effective.
Old 01-22-2008, 04:16 PM
Registered

Erusticator... Hydroflouric acid
Old 01-22-2008, 04:31 PM
Platinum Member
Charter Member

Remove rust from the surface, then POR-15. It's the ONLY stuff that really works. Don't get it on you skin- it only comes off when it wears off! By far the most popular coating and treatment by car restoration experts.
Old 01-22-2008, 04:40 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by jafo
Remove rust from the surface
That's what I'm looking for, not worried so much about coatings/treatments afterwards.

Erusticator...now that sounds good.
Old 01-22-2008, 05:03 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you can knock the heavy rust off with a grinder then use a product called rust bond sealer.This is used in the offshore industry everyday and works wonders.I have used this myself with fantastic results.

It basically bonds to the rust and also creeps under the paint surrounding the rust to stop it all together. Then just paint over and be done with it.
Old 01-22-2008, 05:16 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Rustoleum 3575 rust reformer works quite well but won't give you the film strength of POR or Chasis Saver (Chassis saver is equal to POR at less $$) Not a big deal if you're overcoating with a high-film 2-part coating like epoxy or poly.

The best device for removing rust from irregular surfaces is a pneumatic needle scaler.
Old 01-22-2008, 07:50 PM
Registered

Here's a couple examples of what I'm looking to work with. Nothing heavy requiring a scaler. Chemical/fluid application is what I'm looking for. One of my circ pumps died and leaked through the weep hole dripping salt water on the damper and surrounding area. So I'm also looking to clean that up.
Attached Thumbnails What's the best rust removal product and/or procedure for metal?-lt1-block-2.jpg   What's the best rust removal product and/or procedure for metal?-lt1-parts-001.jpg  
Old 01-22-2008, 07:56 PM
Registered

Looks like a machineshop Vat job to me!

Quick Reply: What's the best rust removal product and/or procedure for metal?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.