Went to Outerlimits again! >

Went to Outerlimits again!

Notices

Went to Outerlimits again!

Old 01-26-2008, 10:20 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by BradH
I would like to take you up on your offer; will be down middle of March. Could you please give me a good way to get in contact with you, either here or through a PM. Thanks, Brad Holbrook.
Call the number posted. Its an awesome experience. Kind of like grace land for performance boat entusiasts depending on whats in the shop. How long can you gawk at a 200+ mph boat? I can last a while.
Old 01-26-2008, 11:54 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by LostinBoston
Call the number posted. Its an awesome experience. Kind of like grace land for performance boat entusiasts depending on whats in the shop. How long can you gawk at a 200+ mph boat? I can last a while.
I've spent some time with Doug Wright, messed around with a couple fast boats here in New Orleans, but I really want to talk to JC and see first hand what his stuff is all about.
Old 01-27-2008, 03:06 AM
OSO Content Provider
Commercial Member

Received 49 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Boatlesss
Shark, it is misleading to say composite as even basic fiberglass and polyester resin is a composite.
A simple yes or no would be sufficient.
I am not asking for him to state their layup schedule.

In terms of a composite, all I meant by it was:
Is it 100 % solid Carbon Fiber as Dean states or does it have a secondary material being used for other characteristics.

I give people here on OSO a lot more credit to realize that a company like Mystic would not be using polyester to build their boats. Not even for a toilet.

Here is a good read read on Composites:

Introduction to Composites

As far as this thread, I don't see any bickering and it is still on topic in terms of what JC had posted:

Originally Posted by JCPERF
In my opinion there is no other boat builder on this planet that comes close to Outerlimits in technology and craftmanship. He is well far advanced than any other boat builder in the performance industry hands down!!!!! What I saw today has completely blown me away, what he is doing with carbon fiber is amazing.

Digital Photography & Video one BYTE at a time !
Old 01-27-2008, 11:48 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sharkey, the entire boat is cored except for the transom which is a solid laminate.

Brad, either drop me an e-mail at [email protected] or call me in the shop at 386-736-2247.

jc
Old 01-27-2008, 01:20 PM
Registered

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Mystic
Sharkey, the entire boat is cored except for the transom which is a solid laminate.

Brad, either drop me an e-mail at [email protected] or call me in the shop at 386-736-2247.

jc
Sorry "The real JC" if I said something that was not true.And thank you for the compliment on Byrds -JC
Old 01-27-2008, 01:57 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Received 393 Likes on 141 Posts

Thanks for all of the kind comments on our boats. It's very rewarding for us to see we're gaining such a strong following in a relatively short amount of time. It makes all of the hard work that my crew, customers and I put into our product that much more worth it.

Yes our race boats are primarily carbon, actually 7 different carbon fibers of varying weights and fiber orientations and two different types of epoxies (both Gougeon Bros. Pro Set). The entire cockpit however is fully surrounded by both carbon and Kevlar to keep the occupants safe in the hopefully unlikely event of a collision with another boat. The entire boat is built using epoxy resin impregnators and everything is vacuum bagged and then post cured in our oven that measures over 80 ft. long and 26' wide; it is larger than most to fit our 70 ft. diesel express cruiser in it for post cure.

We are currently working on the structural engineering for our new open cockpit pleasure cat which will be released this year and it will have more e-glass materials in it to control costs. Our e-glass materials cost roughly $3 per square meter while the carbon is about $30 or more, and the extreme rigidity and strength that we put into our race boats isn't as needed in a boat that will only run 150 mph.

Thank you for your continued support. We look forward to seeing everyone on the race circuit and now the poker run circuit also this year. If anyone is in Daytona for Speed Weeks or Bike Week this year please feel free to stop by our shop which is about 20 minutes west of the speedway in DeLand.

John Cosker
Mystic Powerboats Inc.
JC,
I'll be up on Tuesday, and tell Dan-the-man, I've got his 500 tickets.
MD
Old 01-27-2008, 03:29 PM
OSO Content Provider
Commercial Member

Received 49 Likes on 23 Posts

jc
Thanks!
In order to be a solid laminate on the transom, I would think you would have a combination of Carbon Fiber and at least one other type of FRP especially since no coring is used.

Thanks again for your first hand input on this subject.

Digital Photography & Video one BYTE at a time !