Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
540 stroker,,DUD engine, dont do it. >

540 stroker,,DUD engine, dont do it.

Notices

540 stroker,,DUD engine, dont do it.

Old 01-29-2008, 08:45 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Dont need anymore friends. And if you carefully read the whole post befor jumping on a band wagon you would realize IM opening a legitmate descuission. Just because my truthfull facts make sense Im a bad guy? Just talking engines and trying to make sense while guys who dont know half of what I do bash me. Would just like to prevent guys from making a mistake I almost did. How about someone defending the 502 vs 540 with facts?? Instead of trash.
Old 01-29-2008, 09:18 PM
Masher touches my
Gold Member

I really don't understand what you're saying Pit Bull. More dispacement will make more hp and torque. That's just how it works. Is your arguement that a 502 will out live a 540 with the exact same parts and tolerances? I would like to see some proof. I have heard that you can make more torque with a 454 stroked to 496 than a stock 502 because of the stroke. If your theory was correct would the 496 or the 502 live longer? Build wise when your doing a motor from scratch there's little or no difference in building a 540 or 509/502 with the same block.
Old 01-29-2008, 09:24 PM
Charter Member #1055/Moderator
Charter Member

My understanding is a longer stroke makes more torque. Especially in low reving engines. In a marine engine torque gets the boat on plane and determines top speed, which is everyones #1 interest. If I remember correctly the bulldog had the same hp as a 500, but higher torque. They are also famous for their durability.
Old 01-29-2008, 09:55 PM
Registered

""a 540 wont make the 30 hp more it should then a 509 and will also have more wear if built the same way. Not saying a 540 is junk and of course it will run well but hands down the 502 is a better stroke combination." pasted from previous post.

This is all I'M saying, Not selling engines here. Like the 496 502 theory Badkachanga mentioned. Its probably true. Should I go off on him because I'M building a 502? Fact is fact. I just like to know them before I build anything or do anything. Go ask and test this question to different REAL engine builders like I did for the last 6 months and tell me what you come up with.

My theory is that it has to do with harmonics.A 540s stroke exerts more wall pressure which, adds more friction thus, works more against volume potential then a 502. Yes it should make more power But much less efficient power. Which, is more productive.Mark my words the 557 is the next key stroke combo.
Old 01-30-2008, 06:24 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This Pitbull doesn't know his Azz from FAT meat. Why are you talking about stuff you have NO clue about boy?? and Why did you ask a question that obviously you already know all the answers?
There is no place here for ignorance.
Old 01-30-2008, 06:48 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 79 Likes on 32 Posts

good reading dont stop now!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 01-30-2008, 07:05 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Pitbull, Your behind about technology by about 15 years. I have been building 557's in many applications for years both N/A and supercharged . Yes it is a very good combination in many ways.
Old 01-30-2008, 08:08 AM
Registered

mrhp, Your first post gives me the impression that you do bench work on a pic nic table in a back yard full of farm animals. And you agree with me by telling me I know the answer.. Your second post you agree again with what I said about 557s. Which proves my point. You have been building 557 FOR YEARS you say. Whats the problem? You haven't moved on to the next thing. I own a 7000 sq ft Mercedes Benz repair shop with 9 lifts that I built from the ground up. I rebuild MB engines and transmissions in house. Got a 4,000 lb 99 e class to run 10.60s. Got my Harley to run 12.0s.and my daily driven pick up in the low 12 as well. Not saying I am an expert marine engine builder. But I know how to make things work. There are a lot of engine builders that go through life thinking bigger is better,and more is better. Only because there not smart enough to read, learn or question others.Go ahead be a follower and keep building the same thing you have been. Good engine builders evolve to new things.
Old 01-30-2008, 08:12 AM
RHC
Registered

Originally Posted by mrhorsepower1
Pitbull, Your behind about technology by about 15 years. I have been building 557's in many applications for years both N/A and supercharged . Yes it is a very good combination in many ways.
and their you have it ,,, spoken by the man who makes boats go fast ,, and ,,, he build's the engines that do it !!!!!! Way to go Dean,,

RHC
Old 01-30-2008, 08:16 AM
RHC
Registered

Pit Bull,,

I was giving you the benifit of the doubt untill you tried to tell me that you have a low 12 pickup that is your daily driver ,,, even with today's tires ,, that thing will not drive on the street daily and run low 12's ,,,, unless of course , work is only 1/4 mile away !!

RHC

Quick Reply: 540 stroker,,DUD engine, dont do it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.