Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
West Palm Boating, Sunday Feb. 10?? >

West Palm Boating, Sunday Feb. 10??

Notices

West Palm Boating, Sunday Feb. 10??

Old 02-10-2008, 05:23 PM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

DAMN Rick !! Talk about a crappy day....

Dude if there is anything I can do to help ya out please let me know.

Angel
Old 02-10-2008, 05:40 PM
Registered

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Damn Rick - rough day on the water.
I've dunked more than one cellphone.
Lost prop nut and washer in the drink.
And I was racing a guy, turned to look over my shoulder to make sure I was clear, and watched a pair of sunglasses that I owned for 6 hrs bounce off the sunpad into the drink.

BUT I DIDN'T DO IT ALL IN THE SAME DAY!!!!
Old 02-10-2008, 07:16 PM
Registered

Received 971 Likes on 441 Posts

So, after being beached like a whale at Peanut Island today, we managed to get underway at about 4PM... 3 or 4 minutes into the trip I notice the temp gauge creeping up, followed shortly thereafter by the alarm... cut the motor, jumped in the water to make sure nothing was plugging the water inlet holes -- all clear. Back on board, pop the engine hatch, sea pump feels cool, not like a burnt up impeller, no screeching from it when the motor is running.

Let it sit for a few minutes, restarted, and it ran relatively cool at idle -- a little warmer than usual (165 or so, instead of 155 as usual), but it was stable. Temp stayed steady up to 1400 rpm, but anything over that, the temp shot upwards... Took us 3 hours to get back to the Boynton ramp from Peanut.

The channel leading to the ramp was so shallow I had to have my passengers sit on the deck to take weight off the stern, to keep the drive from hanging up.

Anyway, I'm guessing I sucked up some sand and stuff today, and either screwed up the impeller, clogged a hose somewhere, or got a bunch of sand in the block (hoping not).

I figure I'll tear apart the cooling system, new impeller, new thermostat, flush whatever I can... any other thoughts?

What a day... at least it was a great run on the way up, it was fun meeting some new faces! Hope everyone else got home OK!
Old 02-10-2008, 07:36 PM
Charter Member #927
Charter Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sorry to hear about you guys troubles, but look on the bright side. We had -25 degree wind chill all day.
Old 02-11-2008, 03:54 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The saga doesn't end there!
Left Dr Feel Good and Barry at the sandbar. After getting grounded acouple of times, made it out to the channel. Heard the nasty telltale squeal of the impeller frying. Temp gauge went to 220! Pulled sea pump. All blades and pieces had are in the engine someplace. Called SeaTow and got towed back.
3 hours later back at Knowles!
Story doesn't end here! It's low tide!
Backed the trailer in and it dropped of the end of the ramp. Had to rig a makeshift winch with my tiedown straps hooked to the dock to lift the ass end of the trailer back up on the ramp.
Pete's $100 sunglasses in the water.
Got home at 8:30! Other than that had a good time.
Pleasure meeting DrFeelGood and Barry.
Old 02-11-2008, 06:14 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

HOLY CRAP!!!!

Well, at least my phone was insured, and the pull back from towboat went fine for me, Jason had brought sandwiches, and I had a full cooler of beer, and the tunes still worked. At least we avoided that ticket, but it was quite embarassing to get towed back by the marina where I swapped the prop. the gas girl was standing out there laughing as we got towed by.

As far as my motor, no spark on any cylinders, I think I may have fried the ECU, or a feed wire came off(unlikely), but it was acting as if one of the killswitches were pulled. My only REAL Loss was Jasons glasses, they werent sunglasses, but his everyday glasses, he was blind as a bat, good thing he works from home, and doesnt live far from my house where his truck was.

Sorry for everyones troubles, I hope Barry had a good day at least after towing down from Orlando.

Rick
Old 02-11-2008, 06:19 AM
Registered

Received 971 Likes on 441 Posts

Pretty much a cursed day from the onset, I guess -- Hopefully Barry and family got back safely -- I didn't see them stuck in the crappy Boynton channel, at least!

Sorry to hear about your impeller, Ray. I'm gonna tear mine down one night this week and see if mine is full of sand.

At least nobody got hurt
Old 02-11-2008, 06:38 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by DrFeelgood
Pretty much a cursed day from the onset, I guess -- Hopefully Barry and family got back safely -- I didn't see them stuck in the crappy Boynton channel, at least!

Sorry to hear about your impeller, Ray. I'm gonna tear mine down one night this week and see if mine is full of sand.

At least nobody got hurt
Andrew, make sure you backflush the oil coller.
Old 02-11-2008, 06:52 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

I have to back flush everything also. All but one chunk of impeller is in the system someplace!!!!
Old 02-11-2008, 07:35 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Default Pics from Sunday

A couple of pics....
Attached Thumbnails West Palm Boating, Sunday Feb. 10??-p2101383.jpg   West Palm Boating, Sunday Feb. 10??-p2101385.jpg   West Palm Boating, Sunday Feb. 10??-p2101387.jpg  

Quick Reply: West Palm Boating, Sunday Feb. 10??

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.