Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
It's Been 5 Years Since My Accident >

It's Been 5 Years Since My Accident

Notices

It's Been 5 Years Since My Accident

Old 02-07-2008, 09:57 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Taking about motorcycle accidents...this one happened yesterday...just unbelievable.

ORANGE PARK, Fla. -- A motorcyclist died Wednesday evening after being hit by his wife who police said was following him on Wells Road.

The Florida Highway Patrol was called to the 1600 block of Wells Road near the intersection of De Barry Avenue where the fatal crash took place Wednesday evening.

Thomas Lee Robinson, 63, was being followed by his wife, Yvette Robinson, after the couple had been out together.

According to FHP, the motorcyclist stopped at a light and his wife, who was driving a Corvette, was not able to stop in time and ran into the back of his Chopper.

Robinson was thrown from his bike and then hit by the car, deputies said. The man died at the scene.

Investigators said Yvette Robinson was not issued a ticket but could be charged in the fatal wreck. They said she had not been drinking and called the crash a "horrible accident."

Part of Wells Road was temporarily shut down as officers worked to determine exactly what happened. The road was reopened by 10 p.m.
Old 02-07-2008, 12:11 PM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Mike,

Your positive attitude and determination to enjoy your life is an inspiration to everyone!
Old 02-10-2008, 10:18 PM
Registered

Mike,

I remember your accident, this hits close to home, we lost a key person last year due to a motorcycle accident where they were not at fault. Both my other half and my companies have went to any key personnel(When insurance is required on them) if they have a motorcycle we will ask them to either sell the bike or transition employment positions. It is sad we had to go to this, but after our loss it was very hard for us to recover.
Old 02-10-2008, 11:28 PM
Registered

Mike...........you da man!!!!!!!!
Old 02-12-2008, 09:35 PM
Registered

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by MrSeamen69
First: You need a real motorcycle and not your old ladies bike. Sportys are for chicks buddy.

"If you had a big boy she may have heard your engine"
First: I am not sure how to take your post and tone of voice...I am not sure if you are being rude towards me or just saying loud pipes save lives? Loud pipes do not save lives but I can understand how they make cars around them a little more alert...but on coming cars normally will not hear or excatly know where a loud motorcycle is coming from.

I had a tricked out 2001 Road King "big boy bike" not a Sporty... with big Basani hollowed out true dual pipes. I was on my 2002 Ducati 998R with Termioni race exhaust and open dry clutch. My Harley was loud but my Ducati was even louder.

It was determined that had I been on my Harley with my half DOT helmet, sitting up position and the fact that the Ducati fuel tank did it's job and seperated from the bike and did not spill fuel I would have been dead.

My full face Arai helmet, padded race jacket, Kevlar/Carbon gloves, Sidi race boots and the seperating full tank helped save me. The Lord, my surgeon and nurses actually save my life twice.

I spoke at length to the cop and accident investgator with the police dept at length about this.

Last edited by FeverMike; 02-12-2008 at 09:52 PM.
Old 06-26-2009, 08:34 AM
Registered

Hey Mike,
I was doing a search on bikes and came across this thread. I sold my last Harley a year ago and want to get back into biking. I'm looking at 1198 Ducatis.

You throw down some great info from your experience. I remember when you had your accident. Damn, I felt for you back then, but knew you were the man that could handle the challenges.

It's good to read that you are doing well. I am taking your advice. Money will be spent on gear.

Take care,

Ray
Old 06-26-2009, 08:58 AM
Registered

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Dredgeking
Hey Mike,
I was doing a search on bikes and came across this thread. I sold my last Harley a year ago and want to get back into biking. I'm looking at 1198 Ducatis.

You throw down some great info from your experience. I remember when you had your accident. Damn, I felt for you back then, but knew you were the man that could handle the challenges.

It's good to read that you are doing well. I am taking your advice. Money will be spent on gear.

Take care,

Ray
Hi Ray, Yes get the best gear out there but do not think this gear will make you bullet proof. I had my gear on but was very lucky....remember I still flatlined twice they told my wife to be prepared because I was going to die.

Also remember I was only going 35mph and the oncoming mini-van was maybe doing 10mph at most. It does not take much.

As far as the latest Ducati or any brand of motorcycle I could not tell you anything as I am so far away from that world now. Previous to 2003 I could tell you alot...I did all my own work, tuning ect. Loved the hobby and lifestyle....boy has my life changed!
Old 06-26-2009, 09:30 AM
Registered

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Default not sure

hey fever mike glad to hear you are doing well and still enjoying life to the fullest. as for that seamen69 guy i dont know what his tone was either but def not a time or place for a comment like that. as you said the ducati was louder and i beleive it lol ferrari of bikes. well enjoy and god bless Chris
Old 06-26-2009, 11:13 AM
No Comment
VIP Member

Location: This post copyright, Packinair Inc. All rights reserved.

Hey Mike..Glad your still around..

Originally Posted by FeverMike
\February 2003 I was on my motorcycle on Tuesday the 6th when a mini-van on coming took a left turn into me. I broke every bone in my left arm, compound fractures, multiple bones in my left hand, 2 bones in my right arm, fractured my left pelvis plus is flat lined twice from blood loss and cardiac arrest on the operating table. On February 10th the doctor had to remove my entire left leg in order to save my life. My left femur was shattered and my femoral artery was ripped apart and they could not repair it. I had the best vascular surgeon in the world Dr. Thomas Kerr...a total miracle worker who saved my life.

I was wearing my Arai full face helmet, long pants, Sidi Vert2 boots, Technic Kevlar/Carbon gloves and one of the best Technic jackets money could by. Let this be a lesson for all you motorcycle riders out there. It is the most dangerous hobby around but you have to wear the proper riding gear to have a chance to live...even if you are on a Harley.....going gear less might look cool but I can tell you dead ain't cool!

se ya, Mike Carter
Old 06-26-2009, 01:42 PM
Diamond Member #001
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Mike, Glad you recovered so well! Incidentally, this week was also 10 years since John Rowland's accident after the NY Poker Run. Another guy lucky to be here...

Quick Reply: It's Been 5 Years Since My Accident

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.