Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
anybody ever priced themselves out of the market? >

anybody ever priced themselves out of the market?

Notices

anybody ever priced themselves out of the market?

Old 02-06-2008, 07:24 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Cool anybody ever priced themselves out of the market?

through the last few weeks ive been buggin every ear on here about what i should do with my boat to get more out of it.. a lot of the responses say not to go too crazy because ill end up pricing the boat so far out of the market that I wont ever be able to sell it..

Who all has done this? Fess up!

Im not gonna name any names but I saw a few BIG POWER "value" boats running around up here and theyve got 3 or 4 times the boats value wrapped up in just the motors..

some of you guys plan on keepin them forever and goin nuts with upgrades.. id really like to see whos got what!

It really interests me to see the boats that people just love and say "F" it and upgrade the hell out of them so they can have what they want, screw resale..
Old 02-06-2008, 07:34 PM
Registered

Received 63 Likes on 28 Posts

Every boat I've owned (and probably everyone else too!)! As soon as you buy them you got more in them than what they are worth!

In actuality, I could see me going that route with my boat. I really love the boat and it is the perfect size for my needs after going through 3 other performance boats. I'd like to do some changes such as external steering and then motors mods or replace them with more power. Either way, it would be a money losing proposition but if you like your boat and plan on keeping it for a long time I think it's worth making it the way you want it (to a degree).
Old 02-06-2008, 07:48 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

[QUOTE=BajaFresh;2435922]Every boat I've owned (and probably everyone else too!)! QUOTE]

Ditto. I think anytime you spend money for speed modifications, you're probably going backwards, but it's your money and it's probably why you work, so it's really nobody's business but yours. In my most recent episode, I bought a boat that was priced right, and if everything was "as advertised", I would have been in good shape. As it turned out, everything wasn't just right and it cost me a ton to make it right, but since it was my money and no one could tell me different, I did it my way and I'm not looking back. Only way I can ever hope to recoup is through a good time, and I know when I get to the water, I'll forget all about what it cost. I don't think you can put a price tag on a good time.
Old 02-06-2008, 08:00 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

got $30,000 wrapped up in a 1981 24 Pantera single outboard, you tell me!!!

But worth every penny in my book.
Old 02-06-2008, 08:05 PM
Brotherhood #1
Gold Member

Received 111 Likes on 84 Posts

I have a velocity with an engine worth in excess of 25K but F it i have what i want and thats happiness. Like my dad always say why have it if your not going to enjoy and spend it.
-Mike
Old 02-06-2008, 08:08 PM
Registered

What a silly question! For every dollar that you put into performance upgrades, you will be lucky to get back ten cents.

Performance upgrades are only good for selling a boat quicker. You are not "investing" in your boat. You are spending money.

Good luck!
Old 02-06-2008, 08:14 PM
Registered

id love nothin more to have a fat pair of blower motors, a huge stereo and fancy paint but
1.) i cant afford it
2.) id own the boat for the rest of my life.

I saw a 2000 hp baja islander on the lake last year.. guy said he had $55k in motors and $8k in fiberglass, haha.. but it was exactly what he wanted.. and it was really unique.
Old 02-06-2008, 08:14 PM
Registered

Really think about how long you'll have this boat. I bought mine just over a year ago. My dream boat since I was in high school. When I bought it I figured I'd put in at least 10k for motors plus another 10k min for other stuff and keep it forever. Then I got a GF with kids. We all like the boat ("when are we going to go fast?!" from the 8 and 10yr olds) but it doesn't fit our needs and use right now. I have to decide whether to ditch the boat or the GF.
Old 02-06-2008, 08:19 PM
Registered

enough about my decisions for the boat, i want to see some 1500 hp glasstrons..
Old 02-06-2008, 08:26 PM
Registered

Received 61 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by waterboy222
enough about my decisions for the boat, i want to see some 1500 hp glasstrons..
Derebery had a customer last year that dumped some serious money into a mid 90's Chaparall 25 Sunesta deck boat. 540ci Whipple SC, ITS, XR. The boat has a ratty interior and faded paint. It is going to hurt some feelings on the lake.

Quick Reply: anybody ever priced themselves out of the market?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.