Notices

Old Gas Pains

Old 02-10-2008, 03:00 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Old Gas Pains

Just bought a boat that hasn't been used since the fall of 06 at which time the tank was filled for winter storage , my question is how long does stabilized gas remain usable for ,its probably been sitting full for 16 months at this point ,would you use the gas? Can you add something to make it more usefull ,or am I stuck trying to suck out 300 gallons and using it elsewhere ??? Anybody been in this situation before and What did you do ? Would you do anything differently next time ?????????
Old 02-10-2008, 04:16 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

i dont have any idea what to do . but if you where to keep the gas in the boat maybe for safety get about 10 gallons of race gas and throw in the tank just to raise the octane rating in the old gas . maybe that will help and then again maybe it wont .
good luck
Old 02-10-2008, 04:30 PM
(aka) Pure Adrenaline
Platinum Member

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post

Looks like you live in New York so I don't think you will be using it for a while. I would rig up a siphon and a couple 5 gal gas cans and use it in your car. If you didn't feel comfortable with that go 50/50. It should be used up by spring and if not you will be surprised how many friend you will have with free gas.

Torco makes a very good octane boost. They even make a leaded version that I use. Check out there web site and give them a call to find out how much you need. Stay away from the ones in the local parts stores they are a joke. http://torcoracefuels.com/index.php?...ord2=&limit=50

Last edited by Doug; 02-10-2008 at 04:33 PM.
Old 02-10-2008, 05:57 PM
Registered

Thanks ,for the input,your right the boats now on Montauk so add at least 3 more months of sitting ,I'm inclined to start pumping it out 5-10 gals at a time,and by spring top it off again with high test,Like Doug Suggested, its just that even taking out 150-200 gals will be a chore!!Still open to more suggestions??????????????????????????
Old 02-10-2008, 05:58 PM
Registered

P.S. the motors are Merc Racing 500 EFI's ,if that makes any difference???????????
Old 02-10-2008, 06:28 PM
Registered

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

why take a chance ? Is the boat accessable ? Mine set for a year and rather than take a chance I got a electric pump from summit and as stated used it in all the family vehicles .. Run a tube thru the drain plug hole up to one of the fuel tank outlets ... use what you can and then fill with fresh fuel in the spring ........m
Old 02-10-2008, 07:25 PM
Lunatic Fringe
Platinum Member

every year i catch grief from my friends because i pump out all of the fuel from the cat into the cars and start with completely fresh gas in the boat. You either have to pay for gas for the cars or gas for the boat, so no cost difference in my book. It is very hard to hear detonation in a boat compared with a car and the boat motors cost waaaaay too much. Being from new york, you have ethenol in your gas instead of MTBE so the gas goes sour very fast. We use the electric pumps in the boat (MALLORY M140) but any good electric fuel pump will work. Please do not take this wrong but make sure you do it safely with the correct equipment. Too many stories of people getting burnt up due to a big OOOOOOPs
Jeff
Old 02-10-2008, 07:40 PM
Registered

I was told that electric pumps are hazardous, How do you do it safely ???
Old 02-10-2008, 08:53 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Make good sealed electrical connections, keep switch off the ground (away from vapors) and ground the tanks. A marine (read ignition protected) pump would not be a bad idea. Might not hurt to run it through a filter if its going to be used somewhere else. I wouldn't worry too much.
Old 02-10-2008, 09:41 PM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I wouldn't run gas that old in my lawn mower let alone a hi-performance marine motor. Just drain it all out this spring and get rif of it, don't run it through your cars. The Torco product is not a reliable octane boost, the only true octane booster is race gas.

If you can't afford to dump a couple of tanks of gas out of your boat then you won't be able to afford the cost of a re-build if the fuel is bad. If you burn a tank and get light detonation you can beat the soft metal out of the rod bearings. Could be a costly gamble.

Quick Reply: Old Gas Pains

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.